Christians don't have halos and wings; and Atheists don't have horns and tails - Who Knew?

Discussion in 'Faith and Religion' started by chelloveck, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

What I saw was good basic human kindness. Most will set aside their differences and beliefs to promote basic kindness and giving. Why they chose those two group to play against each other was some sort of evil or good controversial intent on the organizers. The organizers had a stance that they wanted to promote. The people that played, played for others. I choose to believe that these players reached into their hearts, doing what Americans are known for and that is giving.

IMO the reason this thread took the turn it did is because I see good people that just want to live free being herded and forced into things that go against their beliefs. I see my personal beliefs and ways being no longer acceptable. I see things that make me and mine very uncomfortable. Essentially I have become a minority, I have become a social outcast, many times I feel like the one that is now being discriminated against but because of my skin color, sexual orientation and religious beliefs.

chelloveck, Yard Dart and tulianr like this.
  2. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Lot of difference in reaching out to those who do not believe as you do and taking them into your "home". To do so invites problems for not only yourself but those under your keep.
    ETA: as for "sig heil"--guess he knows what it means--makes one wonder what his values are.

3. DMGoddess

DMGoddess Monkey+++

Well said, Seacowboys.
    As a practicing pagan (mostly Norse and Celt), I can safely say that no religion has clean hands, as far as persecution or murder of others is concerned. Everybody's done it, and we all live in glass houses.
    Unfortunately, when one group or another thinks they have an exclusive on truth, or when they have enough numbers, then they start trying to 'enlighten' everyone else. When that starts to happen,
    then they start losing sight of their original 'truths'. That's the current problem with mainstream religions. I've read the bible, and kind of skimmed the Qua ran (did I spell that right), and I thought they both commanded humility and love.
    Must have been a misprint. :(

chelloveck, Brokor and tulianr like this.
  4. tulianr

tulianr Don Quixote de la Monkey

I think that both the Bible and Qur'an, and most other sacred texts, because of their aggregate nature, can mean whatever one wants them to mean. You find within their covers whatever you go in there looking for. You want love and compassion, you can find it in abundance. You want an excuse to kill your fellow man, there are plenty of justifying arguments therein to be found. If you have love and compassion in your heart, you don't need a holy text to provide it for you. If you have no love or compassion for your fellow man, a book, no matter how much wisdom is therein contained, isn't going to correct your shortcomings.

DMGoddess, chelloveck and Brokor like this.
  5. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

So very true and wise. It's astounding that more have not caught on to this.

chelloveck and tulianr like this.
  6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

and I thought only Mormons had Horns & Tails..... Who knew.... That is what many Ministers tell their congregations....

DMGoddess, chelloveck and tulianr like this.
  7. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

No that's Catholics!

Brokor and tulianr like this.
  8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I guess it is in the "Eye of the Tail Teller"....

tulianr likes this.
  9. DMGoddess

DMGoddess Monkey+++

Nope, pagans have 'em too. I just keep my horns filed down, and my tail inside my jeans. biglaff

tulianr and chelloveck like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7