Church Safety and Security

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Yard Dart, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

To have a friend that is a pastor at the cowboy Church they all carry pistols and rifles all are trained

2. duane

duane Monkey+++

Ura-Ki, you bring up a whole new set of complex problems, we have church services, Bible study for the adults and sabbath school for the children prior to church service, a church grade school, that is an alternative to public school, which meets every school day and often has field trips etc, mid week prayer and study services, meals and social meetings for the elderly, scouting and youth group meetings, etc, all with different locations within the church complex and other places off the grounds, with different age groups, and a lot of overlapping times and locations. It is not a matter of closing a few doors, hiring a security service for 2 hours and watching 50 people attend a service. Since we practice outreach as part of our church goals, we are actively inviting new people into our facilities and even adding that unknown. So far we have had a lot of prayer and very few workable programs. And that doesn't even throw in an individual like the one in Texas.

3. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

I had to look up HESCO bastions. Oh my aching 19 year old back! Why didn’t they invent these things in the mid 1960’s, before I filled all those sandbags!
    Good thread, Dart! To me it looks like an impossible task to secure a church. The more outreach all the harder.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

HUUUUUGGGG sandbags for those who are unfamiliar. Pretty they ain't but I'd bet that a more artistic form can be found or they might be concealed in vegetation. One thing to think about is that they could interfere with a field of fire.

sec_monkey, Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  5. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Being an Agnostic, I still have found wonderful community and fellowship in church. I listen to their doctrine, I especially enjoy the parables but I am skeptical about the hocus locus. I believe in the power of prayer but not necessarily that it is a communion with the gods. It is the worth of a man to support the members of his tribe, community, fellowship, with his life if necessary. An armed congregation seems to be the most pragmatic solution to church security. I used to belong to a Pentacostal church that held weekly turkey shoots, don't see why IDPA would mind a few folks from the congregation.

6. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Communications is a critical area for security, and we use Motorola radios with ear-pieces for each member on the designated security channel. Only the team leader has his radio set to scan the other channels. We have a radio in each classroom and amongst certain leadership positions. If we have an emergency, there will be a radio call out, the team lead will then vector us in as needed. We use quadrants or specific names to call out areas of issue, and have code words for the level of threat.

With a 4 man team we have a a set position for each member:
    • The foyer position covers the only two unsecured doors, usually the TL post at this location. In this role, one is to essentially scan everyone moving through the area into the sanctuary or to the classrooms. If anyone looks out of place, a call is made for people to be aware of a person of interest. Position 1 and 2 are to pick that person up for observation if they enter the sanctuary.
    • Position 1 is at the front of the sanctuary for the whole service and Position 2 stages at the back of the sanctuary. When the music is going at the beginning of the service and at the end of the service, Position 2 moves to the front to provide a frontal coverage on both sides of the stage (in case the stage is rushed by someone while members are standing).
    • The 4th member is our rover. Prior to service, all doors are checked for secure, all empty rooms are searched and secured if open, parking lot is looped through at irregular intervals as well as the rest of the building. The rover also does initial contact with anybody outside the building and will back up the Foyer position during the course of the day.
    • All members are openly marked with vest that say "security" to deter folks that are just looking for soft targets. We are very visible and not shy about our presence.
    • In between services and afterwards, we have a trail on the pastor to basically provide over-watch as he moves throughout the membership. Some threats will want to go after the pastor as a statement, or if they have an axe to grind with him for whatever reason.

7. Yard Dart

Absolutely Duane..... their has to be clear communication amongst leadership and security. We have a church website with a portal for each of the churches various ministries, which you have to be invited to for access to each areas specific communications. Within our security portal, we have notifications for issues, transients/troublemakers or problem members the team needs to be aware of. Folks that have communicated threats, known domestic issues or whatever their problem is, including a photo of them if possible.

Ura-Ki, sec_monkey and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. Yard Dart

Consider large planters or boulders/decorative rock around the main entry area. One, it will slow down any vehicle trying to drive into a crowd as they loiter outside near the entry. Two, they would provide a means for cover, if security gets into some sort of shoot out in the exterior area, keeping them from gaining access to the inside. This opens the convo to shelter in place, lock down procedures if an event happens. Consider that while security deals with an issue outside, designated folks/ushers lock the entry door....

9. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

In a mall you might have Gekko_45 covering your six.

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  10. Yard Dart

11. duane

duane Monkey+++

Narrow window between being security conscious and being unfriendly. Your security team "should" usually be the first contact with unknowns, especially if they look troubled or uncertain, at the same time it is the goal of our church to both help the troubled and to lead them to the Lord. Sometimes asking for a picture ID and writing down the details might be good security, but it would most likely not help the outreach goals. Your security team members need to be in my mind some of the best members of the congregation and must know how to interact with people. We have a prison ministry, work with substance abuse programs, have family consoling, started out as marital but now also involves inter generational problems, and have found that all work best in a secure location outside the church proper. I have seen some really good suggestions on security in these posts and we will be discussing them in our next meeting, but the conflicts between our long term goals and short term realities are really creating some problems.

Ura-Ki, sec_monkey, Yard Dart and 2 others like this.
  12. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Hire Kevin Spacey to “frisk” the men before entering.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  13. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Thank you Yard for this post. My uncle brought this up last night. I mentioned the things I've read in the above posts. He asked me to attend their next deacon's meeting and explain this topic to them and the pastor.

Ura-Ki, sec_monkey and Yard Dart like this.
  14. Yard Dart

Our church takes a picture of all members for our web site communications page during new member orientation or at other events. It has a side benefit for security when we need a picture to go with a name of a member that is going through some life issue, that the team needs to be aware of.

We do run a food bank out of another building on the property. We have a low income development across the road and there is a hospital nearby. Due to that, we do see a bunch of transient, homeless or other disadvantaged folks come walking through the door.... that will always be a difficult task to do a good look over to see if we need to intervene. We have designated door greeters so security can just watch at distance. If we see something odd, our first move is to go up and say hi, welcome them to the church... and get a feel for them. If there is some further concern, we will usually try to have them move out of the area and isolate them while we talk, without it looking like it. Bottom line, if they are a problem, we ask them to leave but if they will not, we call in the cops and trespass them. We don't due it often, but every now and then you get a drunk or other substance induced individual walk in that is belligerent....and you have to get them out of the area, in whatever is the safest means for all parties.

15. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

HESCO bastions are really useful .. they are used for flood control n fortifications, if ya have flood issues in the AO ya can tell all the folks they are for flood control or mudslides or rock slides or avalanches or .. ..

they were invented circa 1989, have been used for flood control since the 1990s plus the battlefield for years n years ..

they aint just yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge sandbags ;) ;)

ya can see [usn] Seabees workin on one here ..

[​IMG]

they come in several different sizes .. ..

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    Tully Mars and Ura-Ki like this.
  16. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

We are moving ahead with new construction this spring, the origional building will remain, but the bulk of services will be in the new bjilding (s) having spent 2 hours on a 3 way with our church leaders and Sheriff, we have narrowed down concerns and will be including as many solutions as we can afford. I also got talked into moving 20k pounds of organ and every thing that goes with it, and installing it in a new purpose built chapel. Yea for me! Lol
    We are also looking at how our parking lot is set up and building distance and obstacles between. My one remaining concern is site security, we normally have two armed greeters unmarked at the front, with two more armed ushers inside, plus the members, my concern is having so many armed inside with out a plan of action in place, so we need to address that issue further and likely will have to meet every one and implement a working plan so we don't have half the congregation jump up and start filling the place with aimed pistol fire! Sounds funny, but it's a serious concern.

duane, Tully Mars, ghrit and 2 others like this.
  17. fmhuff

fmhuff Monkey+++

YD, it has been my experience over the years that most churches don't want to even discuss the subject and when they do it's only to dissuade their members from any form of armed preparation. They just want to play the odds and hope it doesn't happen to them. They may call it faith but IMHO they simply refuse to accept the responsibility for the physical safety of their flock. Doesn't sound like much of a shepherd does it?

Once in a while they might say they have a couple of off duty Police officers in their congregations but they're not there all the time. So I keep it to myself and carry all the time just in case. There's hope however. Some are starting to wake up. God Bless.

18. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

@fmhuff
    Discussions on that subject are often OPSEC and deliberately NOT made public. Yes, indeed, there are some churches (in the broader sense than local congregations) that are publicly pacifist. I'd not want to test that at the local levels.

Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  19. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

There is a certain irony in the discussion of security and defensive measures for churches and their congregants. Such discussion would not have been out of place during the Reformation and Counter Reformation, where churches, much like secular fortifications, were designed and constructed as strong points as a refuge for congregants against the depredations of their theological opponents. These days, the enemy, as often as not, is from within.

[​IMG]
    Via:Exploring the ancient churches and fortifications of the Lune Valley

Fortified church - Wikipedia

Fortress church - Wikipedia

Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  20. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

yep

1. 3M-TA3
  2. Garand69
  3. Yard Dart
  4. Motomom34