Civics required!!

Discussion in 'Bill of Rights' started by ghrit, Jan 15, 2015.

1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Arizona Becomes First State to Require Students to Pass Civics Test - NBC News
    Excerpt:

"How can we expect them to protect the principles on which this country was founded, if we are not preparing them for that task right now?" Republican Senate Majority Leader Steve Yarbrough, sponsoring the bill in his chamber, called the test a needed measure.

"Requiring that students pass this test is not by any means a silver bullet, but I think is a step, a small step forward," he said. "And I think we need to encourage the people of America to become more aware of the values of America."

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  2. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

While I think this is good on one hand, I also feel its a sad statement that it came to pass. I remember civic classes in school.

Sapper John and Motomom34 like this.
  3. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I think that is a great thing to happen in our schools.... maybe it will nullify some of the liberal programming going on.... it just amazes me that no other states are teaching civics..... we are in so much trouble with future generations if we continue on this path.

4. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I didn't realize they didn't have to do this :oops:

Tully Mars and oldawg like this.
  5. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I'd rather they have to pass the Citizenship Test, but this is a great step in the Right direction!!

Motomom34 likes this.
  6. tedrow42

tedrow42 Monkey+

lmao it was required in illinois to graduate 8th grad so eather nbc is lost or they changed it i had to take it twice just for this reason. this was around 15 years ago

7. tedrow42

tedrow42 Monkey+

8. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Bet on it that the Zero admin will go to court to stop this. Can't edjumicate the sheep when you are trying to become a dictator.

9. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I think the teachers comments say it all. One entire class period to be tested rather then critical thinking. A fact is a fact, yet he thinks that is basically a waste of time, no real value to it. Some want to change or bring different thinking to these facts. Currently in schools if you say 2+2 is 5 and you can rationalize it then they will say you are correct. I would love to ask that teacher what is wrong with rote memorization of facts. You have to have a sturdy foundation prior to building.

On a side note: my child is currently failing civics. My question to him was, "how can you fail civics, you know this stuff". After much discussion and going over his work, conclusions were drawn that he was probably not conforming the way they want. One assignment was write on an amendment- he chose 2A. He also had to write a thank you note to a person/persons in history- he wrote a beautiful letter to the veterans. With all our dinner table discussions he should be getting an A in civics yet he is not. Makes me think this test is needed, as long as the test is written correctly.

10. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

These up to date Citizenship tests show up on the internet from time to time. In the past I have linked at least 3 of them to Monkey for member entertainment. I missed 4 questions on the 1st. 2 on the 2nd, and 1 on the last. This is with my last day in School over 46 years ago.
    In reality, people seeking to be naturalized as US citizens are only asked 10 random questions of a possible 100. They have to get 6 correct to pass the test. I think this would be a perfect example of what is needed, and perfectly fair for each and every voter, for their vote to count. Fail the test, your vote gets tossed. Ignorance being bliss, no notice whether your vote counted except a total tally at every polling location would be given, as in at the Blume County polling station 49000 votes were cast, but 13000 were rejected for failing the Civics test.
    here is a link to a random 10 question US Citizenship test. Naturalization 100 Questions & Answers - Free U.S. Citizenship Test=
    here is the 100 questions they choose from, and answers considered acceptable. U.S. Citizenship Test Questions
    These are readily available to anyone for study.
    here is a more comprehensive test site. 96 question test is available. Citizenship Quiz — History.com Interactive Games, Maps and Timelines
    Feel free to copy this to quiz your children or your mouthy argumentative liberal relatives.

11. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

@tacmotusn I took the tests. Proud to say I passed 2 @ 100%, I guess that Poli Sci degree paid off. Can't wait to see what the kids get.

tacmotusn likes this.
  12. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

buhjeezuz, you only need a 60% to pass? WTF!

Yard Dart likes this.
  13. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Yep, "D" grade as in dumbshit, do not pass go do not collect $200.

14. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

60% beats the snot out of knowing nothing as it seems now.

VisuTrac, oldawg, Tully Mars and 2 others like this.
  15. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Aced the test.Guess I haven't killed off all the important brain cells.;)

VisuTrac and tacmotusn like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7