Civil War Era recipes

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Motomom34, Aug 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

This article has simple filling recipes that use basic foods and seem really easy to make. Civil War Era Foods You Can Still Make Today | Prepper's Will It has a recipe using horehound which I have always liked the taste of. I need to hunt down some horehound but for now......

This is the one I will be trying-
    Hospital Gingerbread (original 1860’s recipe)
    Ingredients:

• 1 cup molasses
    • ¼ lb. butter, softened
    • ½ cup buttermilk
    • 2 eggs
    • 1 tablespoon ground ginger
    • 1 teaspoon baking powder
    • 2 cups flour
    Preparation: Preheat the oven to 350 F. Butter a 9-inch square pan and dust it lightly with flour. Beat the ¼ lb. of butter until it is smooth and creamy. Add the eggs and beat well. Add the buttermilk and molasses, and blend.

In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, ginger, and baking powder. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix well. Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 35 minutes. Stick a toothpick into the center of the gingerbread. If it comes out clean, the gingerbread is done. Cool in the pan, and then cut into 9-12 pieces.

The recipe calls for buttermilk which is something I do not keep on hand but you can make a buttermilk substitute easy. I have tried the cream of tartar and milk (works) but you can also use lemon and vinegar. Here is a link that has a few different methods for substituting buttermilk.
    Don't Have Buttermilk? Don't Panic!

Ganado, VHestin and chelloveck like this.
  2. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I couldn't find the recipe for Minié Ball Soup. The search engine kept on giving me Matzoh ball Soup instead, which undoubtedly some Jewish civil war soldiers got in care packages from their yiddisher mommas back home.

upload_2016-8-9_23-24-54.
    recipe at Mini Matzah Ball Soup

Ganado, Motomom34 and Oltymer like this.
  3. Oltymer

Oltymer Monkey++

I don't have a copy, but I remember seeing in one of Herter's, vols. 1-4?, Bull Cook Recipe books a recipe for Jefferson Davis fried chicken, supposedly his favorite, Confederate baked potatoes which are baked with a large nail or spike inserted lengthwise to achieve a more thorough bake, and it seems like Alexander Stephens biscuit recipe. If you've never had biscuits made from scratch that were baked in a wood stove, you just can't imagine...

Another Southern recipe you never see is hoe cakes. This is not a hooker in heels standing on a street corner, but cornmeal pancakes that were cooked in the fields for lunch. Cornmeal, add water and salt if you have it, mix to a consistency of pancake mix, then these were cooked on a hoe, which in those days was a 1-2 lb. blacksmith made device that slid on and off a long pole like a mattock does. At lunchtime the field hand removed the hoe from the handle and built a fire beneath it to use the hoe as a hotplate, with the cornmeal mix poured onto the hoe, browned on one side then flipped and browned on the other - repeat until full, then back to work. Confederate troops also ate these, as they carried these same type hoes with them, using a shorter pole as a handle for entrenching tools.

Ganado, Motomom34 and chelloveck like this.
  4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I had to look up what Matzo meal was. It is crushed crackers. What is matzo meal? | Baking Bites

chelloveck likes this.
  5. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

It's the unleavened bread mentioned in the Exodus narrative....it is an ingredient in a number of Jewish dishes...particularly Yiddish cuisine.

1. Ganado
  2. Yard Dart
    [IMG]
    Thread by: Yard Dart, Mar 20, 2020, 10 replies, in forum: Back to Basics
  3. sec_monkey
    Blueberry fritters enjoy (y) (y) Blueberry Fritters
    Thread by: sec_monkey, Jun 8, 2019, 5 replies, in forum: Recipes
  4. DKR
  5. DKR
  6. Ganado
  7. Homunculi
  8. Bishop