Clan of the Cave Bear (series)

Discussion in 'Survival Reading Room' started by RaymondPeter, Dec 2, 2007.

1. RaymondPeter

RaymondPeter Simple Man

Has anyone else read this series? It falls into the 'historical fiction' category and while somewhat unbelievable (one person did not domesticate horses, invent the sewing needle, discover how to use certain stones to create fire, etc) there is a lot of decent 'primitive' knowledge to at lest give you ideas about what you can/should do when all your 'new' technology fails.

2. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I read it back in the 80's and enjoyed it at the time but I think I might look at it with an different eye 25 yrs later. I might see things now that I didn't see at the time. Maybe its time for a re-read

3. RaymondPeter

RaymondPeter Simple Man

If you get the chance try to read the entire series (well the ones that are out...still waiting on the last book). Each book seems to have just a bit more info than the last. ;)

4. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Wasn't that the movie with Raquel Welch? :)

5. RaymondPeter

RaymondPeter Simple Man

There was a movie VERY loosely based on the book. And it was Daryl Hannah in it. ;)

6. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

That's when I read them too, RH.....

And have been looking for something interesting to read.....or reread...

7. MbRodge

MbRodge Monkey+++

I have read the series and enjoyed it. Like originally said, slightly unbelievable, but a good story in all. Has anyone read SM Sterling's book: Dies the Fire?

8. nightshade7206

nightshade7206 Monkey+++

If you like this series you should check out " People of the..." series, written by Michael & Kathleen Gear. Although fictional they are extremely accurate as the Gears are both professional archaeologists and incorporate much of their expertise into their writing. Each book is titled People of the River, People of the wolf, etc. There are currently 13 novels in the series with two more scheduled for release this spring.
    I personally appreciate there detail in healing plants and natural medicine's.

9. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

I think the series was meant to be entertaining, not factual, while incorporating thousand of years of developement into a few characters. I enjoyed the heck out of the series, personally.

10. ruzz

ruzz Rambler

I read and throughly enjoyed the first one, but could never quite track down the others. I'll keep my eyes peeled though, definitely a good read if the first is anything to go by.

11. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

[​IMG]

12. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

[​IMG]

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7