Recipe Clapbread or Havercake

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by DKR, Jan 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

What do you carry in your haversack? Why, your Haverbread, of course.

Easy to make and originally done on a gridle. No yeast, no rise and fast to make. Just the thing for a 'bread' choice while camping.

Havver Bread (Sometimes called Clapcake)
    6oz fine or medium oatmeal
    A pinch each of salt and bicarbonate of soda
    2oz flour
    Boiling water
    One tablespoon melted dripping or butter

Mix together the dry ingredients and add fat with enough boiling water to make a pliable dough. Knead well and roll out thinly. Cut into rounds or triangles and bake until brown and crisp, about 25 minutes at 350F, 180C or gas mark 4. Serve buttered with cheese or preserves.

Some fun history of the food -
    Yorkshire oatcakes/Haverbread
    Better than classic hardtack and these don't require double baking (drying)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    Radio, Dunerunner, Motomom34 and 3 others like this.
  2. DKR

Basic bread
    Basic Quick Bread Recipe- Baker Bettie Requires eggs

Dinner rolls
    No Yeast Quick Dinner Rolls - Give Recipe

When I asked the recipe with a big curiosity, my friend said that it is really easy. She said that the recipe even has a special name. It is called 3-2-1 rolls because the ingredients include 3 packages baking powder, 2 cups yogurt and 1 cup olive oil. She didn’t give the amount of flour, she said I just need to add it gradually until I have a non-sticky dough. Don’t worry, I measured both the flour and baking powder for you - see the full piece.

3. DKR

Olive oil bread - another ez camp food that can be cooked on the gridle or in the fry pan!

Olive Oil Bread
    [​IMG]
    ★★★★★

4.8 from 13 reviews

These little single-serving loaves of bread are easy to make and you don’t need any yeast! You can make this in a bowl or a food processor!

• Author: Liz Thomson
    • Prep Time: 5 mins
    • Cook Time: 10 mins
    • Total Time: 15 mins
    • Yield: 2
    • Category: Bread
    • Method: Stovetop
    • Cuisine: Bread
    Ingredients
    • 1 cup all-purpose flour
    • 1 tsp baking powder
    • 2 tbsp olive oil
    • 1/2 tsp salt (to taste)
    • 1/3 cup warm water
    • (Rosemary or other herbs, optional.)
    Instructions
    Food Processor Method:

1. In a food processor, add the flour, baking powder, and salt. Blend for 10 seconds.
    2. While running the food processor on low, slowly add in the olive oil and water.
    3. Blend for 30 seconds or until a dough starts to form. (You’ll be able to tell; it’ll start to clump up.)
    4. Warm a large cast iron skillet or non-stick skillet and heat over medium heat.
    5. Sprinkle with olive oil and swirl around the pan to lightly coat.
    6. Shape the dough into 4 small patties.
    7. Drop into the heated skillet and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes on each side.
    8. You can sprinkle them with rosemary or other herbs while they’re cooking.
    9. Serve immediately.
    Bowl Method:

1. Combine the flour, baking powder, and sea salt.
    2. Stir in the olive oil and water until mixed.
    3. Warm a large cast iron skillet or non-stick skillet over medium heat until heated.
    4. Sprinkle with olive oil and swirl around the pan to lightly coat.
    5. Shape the dough into 4 small patties.
    6. Drop into the heated skillet and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes on each side.
    7. You can sprinkle them with rosemary or other herbs while they’re cooking.
    8. Serve immediately.
    Notes
    This olive oil bread is best served right away, but you can make it a day in advance if needed.

Keywords: olive oil bread

[​IMG]Save
    I remember the first time I made this, I couldn’t believe that mixing up just a handful of pantry staples could make fresh bread!

[​IMG]Save
    With a quick stir, you’ll end up with a shaggy dough like this.

[​IMG]Save
    Technically this recipe makes 4 little mini loaves so if you wanted to be strict on portions you could serve 4 people with these. But they’re so delicious that you’ll probably want to eat (at least) 2. Or maybe that’s just me? My absolute favorite olive oil is California Olive Ranch olive oil, but any kind will do.

[​IMG]Save
    I’m glad I can finally whip up a single serving of bread to serve with soups or salads without leaving a huge loaf of bread out on the counter.

Simple and ez camp bread and thicker than the Haver bread.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Have you ever made fine oatmeal? I had to look that one up.I am wondering if my grinder will turn my whole oats into a flour like substance.

chelloveck likes this.
  5. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

@Motomom34 Where did you purchase whole oats? I have never seen a source for them except Tractor Supply. Are they sourced locally?

chelloveck likes this.
  6. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

you can grind anything to fine in a coffee grinder, but I usually have to sift it after

DKR, oldawg, chelloveck and 1 other person like this.
  7. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Sprouts market has bins of different oats. Check your Natural grocers and they should carry them. Also, if you cannot find the whole oats, Bob's Red Mills products have fine oats that could be used for the first recipe. I almost think one could use regular oatmeal, not the quick kind. Thin that would work?

8. DKR

Yup - I just make a pass thru the food processor to make it a bit less granular.

chelloveck and Motomom34 like this.
  9. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

You may also find whole oats at a brewing supply store...

10. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Winco foods has great, cheap bulk items of all types

chelloveck likes this.
  11. emileeelder

emileeelder Monkey

Hi DKR, can't wait to try this recipe. Can I ask a question? What do you mean by "6oz fine or medium oatmeal" ... Could I substitute old-fashioned rolled oats and give them a spin in my food processor?

chelloveck and DKR like this.
  12. DKR

Welcome to the board. Drop by the into page and let us all know what's up, eh?

As to your question - You can, then run the output thru a sifter

or see if your local market carries Bobs Red Mill brand oat flour. Usually sold in small packets, it is a way to try the recipie with minimal investment...
    [​IMG]

BTW - if you have kiddos at home, get them involved. Baking bread - even clapcakes is a good thing for the young'ns to know how to do.
    It may save them from a diet of Ramen noodles at school....

chelloveck, Merkun and emileeelder like this.
  13. emileeelder

emileeelder Monkey

Will try the Bob's Red Mill oat flour. The hubs is partial to their steel cut oats straight out of the bag with frozen berries & milk.My kiddos are adultos in college now, and they both love to cook!

Dunerunner, oldawg and chelloveck like this.
  14. HarryHR

HarryHR Neophyte Monkey

Haverbread, also known as have cake or cupcake, is a type of oatcake traditionally made in Yorkshire, England. It is made with oatmeal, flour, salt, bicarbonate of soda, and fat, mixed together with boiling water to form a dough. The dough is then rolled out thinly, cut into rounds or triangles, and baked until crisp. Haverbread can be served buttered with cheese or preserved as a snack or side dish. It is a simple and convenient food to make while camping or traveling, as it does not require yeast or rising and can be easily baked over a fire or on a griddle. Haverbread has a long history and was once a staple food in the region of Yorkshire. It is still enjoyed today as a tasty and nourishing snack. if you can become a chef you check out the culinary skills training course

chelloveck likes this.
  15. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Rural King is the place to go! I know because I work there. and I get a 15% discount!

Dunerunner likes this.
  16. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

1. Ganado
  2. Ganado
  3. HK_User
  4. Yard Dart
    [IMG]
    Thread by: Yard Dart, Mar 20, 2020, 10 replies, in forum: Back to Basics
  5. sec_monkey
    Blueberry fritters enjoy (y) (y) Blueberry Fritters
    Thread by: sec_monkey, Jun 8, 2019, 5 replies, in forum: Recipes