Gear Review Classic Stoves - Coleman single burner

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by DKR, Feb 8, 2020.

1. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

90 days from zero to to mil-spec anything - wow. Shades of Kelly Johnson.

I have a (B47) Model 530 sitting on the shelf. You can still find parts for these.

Coleman stoves and lamps - still made in KS by Americans with QUALITY. Well worth the asking price.

Gator 45/70, Merkun and SB21 like this.
  2. mrghostwalker

mrghostwalker Monkey+++

It was just an experiment- I put denatured alcohol in an empty two burner stove instead of white gas. I pumped up the pressure and preheated it like you do with the kerosene lanterns.
    It ran pretty well after it heated up. I didn't do any cooking with it, just wanted to see if it could be done. I didn't make any modifications.

Gator 45/70 and DKR like this.
  3. DKR

Thank you.

BTW -https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/coleman-347-marine-alcohol-burners.20599/
    Coleman did make Marine (Model 347) alcohol burners.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gator 45/70 and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  4. DKR

Alcohol has about 1/2 the BTU value of white gas

Gator 45/70 and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  5. mrghostwalker

mrghostwalker Monkey+++

Yeah, I know it's less BTU so I assume cooking time would be longer. At least in a pinch it would work.

SB21, Gator 45/70, DKR and 1 other person like this.
  6. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Cooking time will be the same once the pot boils. The jury is out for frying.

SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Finally made it back to the coast. So much rain going on , it wasn't really worth it making the trip. And I found the date stamped on the tab ,, just as you said. Its 277 ,, for some reason i didn't look on the bottom of the tab. But there it was. Going to clean it up a little, get some fresh gas in it and see how it does. Thanks for all the info.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Question here, what would you all reccomend cleaning the stamped out splash plate under the burners of a colman stove with. Would a 4 0000 steel wool be ok ,, do you think it will scratch the finish ??

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. DKR

I've used SOS and Brillo pads. The stove didn't seem to care...

Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  10. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Thanks. Looking on the YouTube, saw a guy refurbing one, his had the drip pan, I called it a splash pan, but his was painted , mine is possibly aluminum, or unpainted tin. I've seen metals like this that have been left scratched by brillo pads or steel wool , and that made them harder to clean as the food or spills would get into the scratches and would just never clean up and look good .. That's my reason for asking. Thank you.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7