Clone Wars

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Oddcaliber, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

OK, it's not Star Wars related but here we go. There are many gun manufactures out there that cater to specify markets. Prime example is AR's and 1911's. I own 2 Hi Power clones and 2 1911 clones. For a gun to be considered a clone it has to be an exact copy of the original. Have 100% parts interchangeable with the original. The major up side is clones cost way less than brand names. Some people say if you didn't spend a fortune on it than your gun is junk. Others claim that they have no problem at all with their budget clone. I've never had problems with mine. Let the Clone Wars begin!

2. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Clones can be fairly close in design, too...a Llama Max I only took an ejector, barrel and slide assembly to make an affordable, reliable weapon ;)

3. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

My M1991A1 is a genuine Colt. My AR-15 is a clone - DPMS. Both are keepers.

4. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

There is still a difference between a excellent clone and an awful one. The best example is to compare a original Walter PPK against a FEG clone. Thought about buying one years ago at a gun show. Had to have had the heaviest trigger pull of any weapon I have pulled a trigger on.

5. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

My 9mm's are made by FEG. So far they have been very reliable.

techsar likes this.
  6. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

I see nothing wrong with whatever makes the purchaser happy.
    My 1st 9mm was a copy of the BHP. Can't remember now but I think it was of Argentine manufacture. Shot thousands of rounds through it before I traded it off for the real deal. I've owned a lot of high dollar weapons and I've owned a lot of "cheap" ones as well. There is a big difference between cheap and crap.
    I have a Colt SP1 that is the first AR I owned. Still today off the bag, it will shoot dime sized groups at 100yrds. I have a HK PSG1 that will shoot nickel sized groups at the same distance. Today either of those weapons are worth several thousand dollars.

I have several home built AR's all built off of 80% receivers that will do the same and I built 3 of them for what I've been offered for my original Colt SP1. Same for the HK's. My home built HK's will and do function just as well as the factory ones I own or have owned. To me it's all in what a person wants and to a point, can afford. If all I could afford was a Jennings, Davis or a Jimenez I'd rather have a baseball bat. I have shot several Hi Point pistols. Ugly, heavy but the ones I've shot all function.

Sapper John, Zimmy, techsar and 2 others like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7