ClovisMan's Primal Journal

Discussion in 'Survival of the Fittest' started by ClovisMan, Jan 20, 2014.

1. ClovisMan

ClovisMan Monkey

Week 1 results:
    Start: 241.2
    End: 234.0
    Change: -7.2

I spent the first week trying to get accustomed to the diet, I also had to kick a severe Diet Coke addiction. I gotta say those first 3 days were rough, it was truly withdrawal. After only a week, I no longer crave sodas, but I actually cringe when I see them knowing the hold they had on me.

I did cheat a little this week. I had some corn tortilla chips because my wife's salsa is to die for. I'm thinking of making bacon chips. Bacon Chips and Salsa...I think I might be able to sell that!

I did not introduce any PT during this first week since I was battling other issues. I do plan on starting an exercise routine this week. It will have to be all cardio starting out as all I have is a treadmill, mountain bike, and tennis shoes. I'm thinking 45 minutes day doing one of the 3. Currently scowering craigslist for an affordable set of machine weights or a Bowflex so I can add lifting to my routine.

melbo likes this.
  2. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Congrats ClovisMan
    I got the carb flu for the first couple of weeks of withdrawals and after that was over I could start the PT.

ClovisMan likes this.
  3. August West

August West Monkey

Been doing the primal thing myself. As far as the salsa, of course don't go crazy with it but some all natural pork rinds and salsa are fantastic. ;)

melbo and ClovisMan like this.
  4. ClovisMan

ClovisMan Monkey

Pork Rinds!! Genius!

August West likes this.
  5. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

People underestimate the level of addiction you can get from sodas. I see little kids chugging them one after the other and just cringe, because I been there many years ago, 3+ liter a day habit, and it's one ugly monkey to shake off your back. Congrats on doing it. :)

ClovisMan likes this.
  6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I will have to say, that when I was in college, I lived on Kaboom Cereal, Coke, and Fry Bread, for the last 2 years, when I lived Off Campus. Mostly long Days and Nights in the Lab, watching, and evaluating, complicated Synthesis, of complex NitroOrganic compounds. 48 hour stretches, and then go crash for 36 hours, and repeat. NO way, I could do it today, even with all the caffeine, and sugar. Oh to be young again.
    The wages of being Young......

ClovisMan and Quigley_Sharps like this.
  7. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

Personally, I can not eat sweets other than 80+% dark chocolate. We did a birthday outing last month for my daughter and I had one bite of a chocolate sunday and spit it out.

I made primal ice cream last night (2 cans coconut milk, 1/4 cup maple syrup, run in Kitchen Aid ice cream attachment). Everyone loved it and it was quite filling. I think I will add some orange oil or lemon oil to my next escapade in ice cream making.

I think the next 10 days are filled with copious amounts of meat, eggs, bacon, and salad/veggies.

ClovisMan likes this.
  8. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Congrats and welcome to the rapidly growing club! I mentioned to @Quigley_Sharps via text the other day that I've never seen a health and fitness initiative take off so well on SM. One thing to keep in mind as you're breaking through these habits and craving: this is forever. You will find your optimum weight and body composition and stay there with no more ups and downs in weight and fat.

I'd guess that there are around 50 people in my small town of 2000 that are in some degree of Primal now. Would be interesting to track the 'family tree' here.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
    ClovisMan likes this.
  9. ClovisMan

ClovisMan Monkey

Week 2 Results:
    Start 234.0
    End: 232.4
    Change: -1.6
    Total Change: -8.8

Dropped another pound and a half. Started working out and tried to jump in head first. Turns out I am not as young as I was 10 years ago. I rode the bike and lifted heavy things and it hurt, lol. Will continue the same routine until it doesn't work anymore. I will be happy dropping a 1.5 pounds a week while also gaining muscle mass.

I haven't really set a goal so I will set one now. I want to be at or around 190. Too ambitious?

Quigley_Sharps likes this.
  10. ClovisMan

ClovisMan Monkey

Week 3 Results:
    Start: 232.4
    End: 232.8
    Change: +.4
    Total Change: -8.4

I am heavier this Monday as compared to last Monday. Weird thing is, I made it to the last hole in the belt and I'm going to have to punch new holes. I'm blaming the Super Bowl food. There was A LOT of cheating! I'm still soda-free though! I'm going to step-up my workouts to resemble others from this forum and from the Primal Blueprint Book.

11. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

Good to read your progress. Grok on!

12. ClovisMan

ClovisMan Monkey

Week 4 Results:
    Start: 232.8 lbs
    End: 229.4 lbs
    Change: -3.4 lbs
    Total Change: -11.8 lbs

Okay, I have started moving in the right direction with weight loss and now I am in the 220's!!! Yea, haven't seen those since my late twenties. Moved lots of heavy things over the last few days building a chicken brooder and starting my 8x12 chicken coop. Lots of physical activity and today my muscles are screaming. Next milestone....219!

ditch witch and Quigley_Sharps like this.
  13. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Keep in mind that even as you are losing fat, you may be gaining muscle by cutting out the grains and other high carb stuff that may have been in the way. So long as your belt keeps getting looser, I wouldn't worry about the scale. I think I used to fluctuate a lot in the beginning but in hindsight it was probably trading fat for muscle as we started the 4 Primal movement exercises at day 30.

Keep it up man. I hear from people daily about how they can't believe what they've done and how easy it's been.

1. runswithdogs
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Ganado
  4. Dunerunner
  5. DarkLight
  6. 3M-TA3
  7. Ura-Ki
  8. GrayGhost
  9. runswithdogs
  10. runswithdogs
  11. runswithdogs
  12. AD1