Cold frames

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by Equilibrium, Feb 13, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

I took this photo to remind myself to be on the look out for old window on freecycle.... so far... no old windows on freecyle or set out at the curb but I keep hoping. This photo was taken at the Chicago Botanical Gardens and I realize everything they used to build their cold frames was like perfect but.... if we could get our hands on old windows we could definitely make our own cold frames. Just a thought somebody else might be able to use to extend their growing season or for starting seedlings.
    --
    I'd love to see other people's cold frames if anyone has time to share some photos.
    img_0151.

Motomom34 and Ladyhawke like this.
  2. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I kept a.window from a recent remodel and intend to make a cold frame with it. I'll post pics when I make it.

Sent from my Android

3. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

That'd be great. I'm in no great rush... all I've got set aside so far is the scrap wood. I took a few more photos of cold frames built by friends using different materials. I'll have to try to find them... you might like them. I'm thinking I'll probably go for a basic design like above using an old window.... just as soon as I score one. I've never attached a window hinge to anything but I can't see as how they'd be that hard and if I couldn't buy any cheap, I could always use a stick or something to prop them open on warmer days or for ventilation. What's an android?

4. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

[lolol][LMAO]

5. kckndrgn

It's my phone

Sent from my Android

6. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

Broker.... I'm gonna get you and your little dog Toto too. ;)
    --
    Android, eh.... I take it those do a lot more than the old blackberries if you can use them like a computer and make posts. You must have really good eyes too... all the better to see those lousy little buttons. I'm convinced the people who design these phones are 23 year old sadists with 20/20 vision. They used to assign pagers and blackberries to us when I worked. The blackberries were a new thing 5 years ago or so. I retired.... they let me keep mine... I still don't use it.... I tossed it in the junk drawer.... where it belongs since the buttons are too small to be practical. I guess I'm behind the times. The phone I use is from AT&T.... it's at least 4 years old but it's still working so I never got another one. I think my phone must text.... I know I can receive texts so it probably can send them... all I'd have to do is find the manual that's probably in Spanish then sit down and teach myself. I'd rather be dehydrating!!!
    --
    Well.... now that we've exposed me for being technologically impaired.... gimme some cold frame photos. ;)

7. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

If I had a doggy I would name him Toto! :)

8. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

Paybacks are H E double hockey sticks ya know.... all those young sadists designing these junk phones with the cutesy techno names like Android are gonna get old some day and they're gonna have to use those little buttons and... as for you.... for those little rolling images.... when you get the leetle doggie named Toto... I'm gonna find that rock you're holed up underneath. ;)

9. kckndrgn

There are no little "buttons" on my phone (well, only one but it's not used for typing). My phone is touch screen and i can make the buttons for the key pad bigger or smaller depending on phones orientation. and there are apps out there that will make the 'keys' even bigger if needed.

Back to the subject of the post. Equilibrium, are you posting on CL and other local sites that you are looking or just scanning waiting for something to pop up? If you are not posting, start. One nice thing about a smart phone. I have an app that scans CL running several different searchs, and it alerts me when something is posted that I'm looking for.

10. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

I've seen those before.... didn't know they were phones.
    No, I'm not posting on whatever CL is or anywhere but here. I did register at another survival type website and posted about 5 times then decided it wasn't a good fit and followed a link to here mentioned by a guy named Kingfish. I don't know him and he doesn't know me but.... I followed his link and here's where I am. I wish I could take your advice but... I'm spread too thin to post anywhere but here but I do know how to google and will read threads from other websites that have good info.

11. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

back on subject....

Consider old storm doors.... they cover a large area, latch. have trim, and you can use the prop to hold them up....

12. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

I haven't seen old storm doors put out to the curb. I have seen old windows put out to the curb and have been kicking myself for not picking them up when I saw them to this day. Do you have any photos of your cold frames?

13. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

I have a green house.... i've seen other cold frames using windows, SStorm doors, and plastic over hoops...

14. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

I've got a greenhouse too. I knew I'd be going for cold frames because I have a need for them so I started taking photos when I ran across them. One thing I do have a problem with around here is squirrels.... especially in fall or when it's not a mast year. I've been digging holes in the ground and recessing tree seed pots then covering them up with old box fan screens folk set out to the curb. I just load up the broken box fan and plop it in my trunk then take it home and remove the grates then dig a hole that they'll fit over. I weigh them down with bricks. Not exactly a cold frame but recessing a pot can help a little and well.... it keeps the wascally squiwells from eating my acorns and nuts and chipmunks from planting sunflower seeds in my pots too.

15. Lt_Cav_Sabre

Lt_Cav_Sabre Monkey+

I will doing cold frames this year for the first time. I have the old windows from the house upgrade from 2 years back. my basic plan will be pressure treated 2x4 at the corner, old fence board for the edges, old window on top with old (brass) door hinges to allow venting ( the prop up with stick method ). As the garden fills in i will most likely disassemble since my backyard garden area is not that big.

Equilibrium my suggestion is to give your local window and siding company a call and ask them what they do with all the old windows. I got siding for my garage this way.

Cheers
    Lt_Cav_Sabre

1. natshare
  2. Asia-Off-Grid
  3. TnAndy
  4. runswithdogs
  5. Thunder5Ranch
  6. Oltymer
  7. kateTV
  8. duane
  9. greathomesteader
  10. Motomom34