Cold Steel?

Discussion in 'Blades' started by mikeh53, Oct 30, 2011.

1. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

I have several of their knives...have no complaints. With that said, I would never buy one of their knives that looks like it came from some nutball horror film. All of the ones I've bought come from the tried/true designs.

Brokor, Witch Doctor 01 and TwoCrows like this.
  2. EDCraziness

EDCraziness Monkey

I have one of the older Recon One tantos (along with four other CS knives).

I bought one for a buddy of mine several years ago when he graduated from the Indiana State Police Academy. He stated it was better than his very pricey Benchmade and has carried it with him on and off duty ever since.

I decided that I wanted another in clip point recently and was quite disappointed to find that they have at some point, changed the locking mechanism. This is a deal breaker for me. My old Recon One was the easiest opening knive I've ever had. A light flick of the wrist would snap it open.

That being said, I have nothing but good to say about the Cold Steel knives I own. I've pretty heavily abused all of them but my Gunsite model and they have always taken it in stride.

Will be purchasing one of their tomahawks in a few weeks. Hopefully I like it as well as their knives.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

3. I've gotten a few of their knives and haven't been disappointed. The last one I bought is a fixed blade called the GI Tanto. It is very solid, durable and maintains a great edge - I'd highly recommend it.
    gitanto.

4. Don't have any CS knives yet, but I really enjoy my CS RM's Hawk!:cool:
    [​IMG]

5. Maxflax

Maxflax Lightning in a bottle

I used to sell Cold Steel online as a merchant. Many Cold Steel blades are good but some of their swords are very non authentic and badly balanced.. I recommend you handle each model first

I have 3 of those rifleman's hawks.. a bit heavy but they throw well and are sturdy.. the best Cold Steel values are their machetes.. the magnum kukri is an incredibly tough tool and weapon for the money

modernwoodsman likes this.
  6. Hey Maxflax,
    Thanks for the info! I really like my hawk, but I did cut the hammer poll off and ground a new hammer pommel much closer to the eye. Took some weight off and still hammers nicely!
    ;-)

7. Maxflax

Maxflax Lightning in a bottle

No problem.. if you are looking for a good machete also look at the cutlass guard type Ontario Knife and tool.. they are brutal tools and weapons and are very lightweight. I sharpen mine with a Stihl Magnum chainsaw flat file. One accompanies me every time i go into the woods to work (Olympic Peninsula, WA State) and I have cut down 10 inch hardwood trees (alders) blocking a trail in mere minutes

modernwoodsman likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7