Cold Weather Clothing tips

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Motomom34, Nov 21, 2014.

1. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

i like a fleece base. then some insulated carheart.
    if it is raining i like filson Tin pant and a grundens pull over rain jacket with neoprean cuffs
    and for snow i wear white packer boots.

another thing i have grown quit fond of lately is the mittens were the fingers flip back to cutt of gloves ... {if you can follow that}
    It seems to me every were in the country and the world has there own way of dealing with the cold and heat ... and if you are an outside and do it different they look at you like you are crazy...so i like to try differnt things and make a conglimeration of everything to fit my needs...

But if it snowing or super cold i dont have to worry about wearing to much beacuse im coming back inside crying ASAP

Yanke by birth cajun by the grace of god

@motomom
    Some hunters still do dress like that but the wool gear is expensive as all hell.
    Check out the wool bib coveralls on filsons site...
    The gear is top notch but your gonna pay out the nose for it ...

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
    Motomom34 and kellory like this.
  2. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

"another thing i have grown quit fond of lately is the mittens were the fingers flip back to cutt of gloves ... {if you can follow that}"

I too have used those type of mittens while hunting. I prefer wool gloves with the 1/2 fingers. When temps get below zero I wear mittens over the wool gloves.

Motomom34 likes this.
  3. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

[​IMG] I use them for hunting as well. In fact. It got so cold here recently, I had to sacrifice one of my hunting pairs for work use with hand tools.

Motomom34, chelloveck and Tully Mars like this.
  4. D2wing

D2wing Monkey+

Here in Minnesota dressing for the cold is what we do. I agree with most of what was posted. It depend a lot on what actively you are doing, how long you are doing it, and outside conditions. If I am just going somewhere in my car and just walking in and out of a building, a light jacket over normal clothes, a hat and gloves just in case. If I am going to be on a deer stand in a tree and wing chill is sub zero I wear poly long johns a layer of fleece, then insulated coveralls. Over that I will wear a shell or orange vest. On my head will be a fleece baclava with a insulated hat. I wear thick gloves with pockets for hand warmers and wear a muff with heaters in it. I have 800 gram boots that I will put boot warmers in. If I leave the stand and move around I will need to remove the coveralls to avoid sweating. In any outdoor activity once you hit windchills below -15 you have to protect all skin. Cross country skiing, you can get really hot. I wear poly undies with wind pants, and a sweater and windbreaker, and tuk. I avoid fleece as it doesn't breath well for that use. I have other clothes for really cold, and different for snowmobiling. You should always be prepared for getting stranded.

5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I have lots of fleece and know that it is warm and gets real warm. I never knew that it doesn't breath well. I have the real thin fleece to the real heavy jackets. You are so correct, I often find myself shedding the fleece because I start to overheat. I have notice stores carrying jackets that are real lite and feel real synthetic. I have never tried one because this new material almost feels cold to touch.

HK_User likes this.
  6. D2wing

D2wing Monkey+

I like fleece too, but if I am going to work up a sweat I wear something else. Thinsulate or natural fibers. Sweating in very cold weather can be very bad if you can't find shelter and dry off. Wool or poly is best in that regard as a they are less affected by moisture and wick it away. Some folks like silk next to their skin or poly.

Brokor likes this.
  7. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Re starting this with some updates. Under armor, Nike, Addies, and Russle all make moisture wicking shirts and pants! Use these as a base layer with a winter, or artic weight layer of long jons then regular wool over the top! Another trick for us really active folks is take a pair of pantyhose and cut the legs off below the re enforcing seam ( use a soldering iron) and wear this as a first layer under every thing else! Really helps keep dry and more importantly, prevents chafing! Old A.F. PJ trick for long slogs! I like outer shells with out insulation Like Ski Parkas with the pants, as they are usually thin and light but made of very tough layers!
    One thing, Don't forget or skimp on socks! Nylon/Spandex based inner socks for the base layer and Murino Wool outer layer with a med weight insulated boot!

8. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

DSC00010.JPG DSC00041.JPG Patriot Fleece (heavy) jacket. Worth every penny. A UK company.

DSC00029.JPG Guide Gear wool pants. Great for those very cold winters. The lining is exceptionally well made and very comfortable. I always opt for wool whenever possible.

DSC00032.JPG DSC00033.JPG These are wool pants from Australian military, 1951. Good choice for budget shoppers, and they are very good for most winter applications.

DSC00034.JPG Gaiters for your boots? Yes, please.

DSC00035.JPG Quality liner socks and wool socks, definitely.

DSC00036.JPG Silk weight thermal underwear. Not cheap, but if the military issues them to you, it's a bonus!

DSC00037.JPG Rugged, poly thermals are a nice second-best for folks who do not like wool.

DSC00038.JPG To think, after nearly 30 years, these military type gloves with the wool/synth insert are pretty much unbeatable. For extreme winter conditions, a heavier glove is needed, though.
    DSC00039.JPG And these are the heavy gloves. Mil spec, of course. Civilian variants do exist, however.

DSC00040.JPG ECWS pants and parka combination protect from the elements, and offer warmth. They aren't cheap, but second hand military or issued military ECWS is the way to go. If folks want a more civilian look, they do come in plain colors.

DSC00043.JPG Check this out. If I remember correctly, this is a Czech military jacket with a removable wool liner, circa 1950's. It's still my favorite coat for most occasions. Ran me about $10 at a local shop, buried in a heap of old clothing.

DSC00044.JPG Field liners for a jacket and pants can run you as little as $3 each. These old military liners are extremely warm, and can be found at Army/Navy surplus locations or online. They make cozy pajamas in the winter, too...

9. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

The last versions of the winter weight Digi BDU's were about as good as it gets! Can be had in solid colors, but still dtands out a little due the there cut, but worth every penny. I found a full set new unissued for $110 complete with liners. Got three sets plus two for the Wife. the Femail cut is quite a bit diffrent so one would need to keep this in mind if there are any ladies that need them! Bonus is you also get a helmet wrap and liner with each set for $8 bucks more! Can also get the Balclava but every time I try, they are out of stock!

3M-TA3 likes this.
  10. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Air Force and army parka.

john316 likes this.
  11. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Site? Link? Just the local Army/Navy surplus?

Ura-Ki likes this.
  12. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

It's been a while, will dig up the sight and post it up! I need to check any way, looking for post Korean War Tanker boots.

3M-TA3 likes this.
  13. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

DarkLight and Ganado like this.
  14. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

15. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Dunerunner and john316 like this.
  16. john316

john316 Monkey+++

VERY GOOD read

17. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I live at the beach and work outside all day. Temps can swing fifty degrees during the day.

My winter wardrobe is simple. Normal summer clothes with three added layers as needed.

Warm first layer. Wool or fleece, something warm even when wet.

Wind breaker. Worn over warm layer, or not. Hoods are nice for light rain.

Heavy hooded Gortex parka over both when it gets really cold or wet.

This gets me through most winter days on the range.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    Ganado likes this.
  18. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Boots for cold weather are so-called Caribou pacs.

Rubber lower/leather upper with laces.
    inside is a thick felt liner - always buy a second set of liners to swap out 1/2 thru the day.

Nylon socks with knitted wool socks over.

I mashed my one leg rock climbing as a younger person, so cold wx can be painful if I don't have good, insulated boots.

I like flannel for 'long johns' usually use cheap PJ bottoms, they work well. I now wear fleece shirts with a fuzzy vest at work, even tho I'm 'indoors'.

I keep telling my DW we need to move someplace where all we have to shovel off the drive is sunshine....

Ganado, SB21, Brokor and 1 other person like this.
  1. Dunerunner
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Dunerunner
  6. ED GEiN
  7. DKR
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Dunerunner
  10. Dunerunner
  11. Dunerunner
  12. Motomom34