Gear Review Coleman dual burner stove - liquid fuel

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by DKR, Jul 26, 2020.

1. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Good morning-

The Coleman 400 series dual burner stove (suitcase stove) is a true classic. In its most current form, the stove was irst sold in 1954 as a camping stove. It was sold thru 1961.
    [​IMG]
    This site has a photo history of the earlier 400 series stoves.
    (Coleman US stoves – mid 1950s – present)

There are older Coleman's, like this 1921 stove/oven
    [​IMG]
    but these are 'true' antiques and command very high prices. You are morel likely find a newer 400 series stove for sale at a jumble store or GROJ sale for under $20 - thus my focus on the 'newer' 400 series for this post. I'll explain later why I don't cover the different propane stoves, and the Coleman Company offers a raft of these today. These are also a quality, American-made product.

How the stove is made today - with a bit of Company history.
    ()

The 400 series-
    These are sold today as white gas and as 'duel fuel' - for both automobile gasoline and Coleman fuel (naptha) You can run auto gas in a 'regular' 400 series stove but run the risk of clogging the gas generator because of fuel additives mandated the Government.
    Pro tip The Coleman fuel in the metal can will last for decades if stored properly. I have no issue with leaving Coleman brand fuel in the tank or font over the summer with no fear of ill effects.

If you wish to run auto fuel, carry a spare generator, there just a few dollars and take up little space.

You can purchase an adapter to run these on the small propane tanks.
    This adapter may be necessary as many Nathanial Parks have banned 'liquid fuel' stove as a fire hazard. Untrained operators have been known to start major fires with their stupid mistakes.
    These typically cost about $20 and can be found at most Big Box stores. This allows the use of your stove indoors with little risk of a fire or explosive fumes - if care is exercised.
    [​IMG]
    As for operating instructions, the web offers a number of well done videos to walk the new owner through the filling, lighting and other processes. I don't need to plow that ground again.

Maintenance of the units is straightforward.
    [​IMG]

Keep the stove clean, store out of the weather and use good quality fuel.
    The few items that can or may need to be replaced or serviced are the
    generator
    burners (if clogged with food or rust)
    fuel tank (pump, check valve and filler cap gasket)

The pump leather should be oiled occasionally - this is true for the lanterns as well ( pump leather replacement)
    In this video, the person could have oiled the cup and likely been good to go, with nothing more than removing the pump rod assy.
    ( check valve).
    Check values can be come plugged. I've always been able to clear the unit by squirting some "brake cleaner" into the pump body and letting it sit. The check valve is a separate part and easy to replace, if necessary.

Cleaning the generator
    ()

cleaning burner stack
    ()

I have a pair of two burner stoves - one white gas only, bought in 1975 and a newer duel fuel that I picked up with a lot of lanterns for $20,. I also have adapters for propane and a dedicated 2 burner propane stove for indoor use, if needed. Yeah, I'm a fan. An old fan.

Accessories that make the stove easier to use or improve operation.:

stand - if you aren't going to cook on a tailgate or picnic table, these are a nice item to have on hand.
    [​IMG]
    Coleman brand

[​IMG]
    or something more elaborate. My DD has one of these 'kitchens' vary handy if you have the space to lug it along.

Grills/griddle
    [​IMG]
    I have one of the original flat Coleman cast iron units - just the thing for bacon or pancakes!
    These fit over both burners to allow a hot and warm side.

Cons of the white gas/gasoline stove:

Coleman fuel is gasoline. This fuel must be handled correctly. In addition to explosive vapors, it can burn another way. The fuel remains liquid even at extremely cold temps. Spill some fuel on your hands at -40F and instant frostbite.

Takes care to light at any temperature. Not something you want younger kiddos to handle.

Storage is problematic if not purged. Do not store with fuel in tank as this may pose a fire hazard.
    For storage, I rinse the tank with alcohol and let it air out for about an hour. Then, it is safe to store just about anywhere - outside.

Coleman brand fuel is not cheap. Other brands of stove fuel (white gas, naphtha) are on the market and will work with the stove. I don't recommend use of alcohol in the stove.
    I do not recommend use of a gasoline stove indoors. Period.

About propane.
    I live in a cold climate. Unless you run the stove from a large (BBQ sized) cylinder, you will quickly find it will lose pressure and leave you with a half-cooked meal. Been there, have the tshirt.

Just the same,l I do have a Coleman propane stove that I have used in the summer or for indoor use with a large (BBQ) tank.
    The tank tree
    [​IMG]
    allows running the stove with a lantern on top for light. Very handy, safe and lowers the cost of fuel. Just the thing if the utilities are down. I live in earthquake country. Propane ful in the bottle has no shelf life and is safe for indoor use.

But in cold weather, even the large tank - the system is nearly worthless outside.

So - a quality product from a n American company, parts for even very old units easily found and simple enough for anyone to to the maintenance / repair in the field.

Tully Mars, techsar, 3cyl and 2 others like this.
  2. 3cyl

3cyl Monkey+++

Thank You for the excellent write up

3. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I picked up a 2 burner a few months ago,, very little use ,, but needs to de gone over a bit ,, I have an air leak where the tip screws onto the generator rod. Soon as I can,, I'll spread it out and go thru it. Thanks for the info.

4. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

we had a big 3 burner suitcase stove when I was a kid - looked for one for years - finally found one that was almost new in condition - still stored in the factory box - even a cheap $$$ >>> great size for running a griddle on two burners and a 10" cast iron skillet on the 3rd - only way to go with a big family or a group to feed

5. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Got 1,2,and 3 burner stoves plus many lanterns. Can't go wrong with Coleman.

6. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Man, this makes me want to cook something on the 426B. Maybe a midnight snack, since it's 80 degrees here by the time the sun comes up.

7. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

those hiking stoves based on the Coleman lantern base are about a sturdy "do-all" little stove you can find - you can place a good size pot or cast iron skillet on them with any problems ...

the old 1960s Coleman catalytic heaters are great if you avoid the safety problems and aren't chicken ...

Oddcaliber likes this.
  8. RE: DKR's statement in post#1. We used 100lb propane bottles to heat the farrowing house and keep the hog waterers thawed in the winter, in Iowa, at below zero temps. Butane will not work in cold temps but propane should not give trouble.

Merkun likes this.
  9. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

At -21F and under , you need to take the liquid reg to a Evap bottle (Special can) and then that can is in the area of temperature of greater to let the expansion of the LPL into LPG and the drop in transfer chill can be warmed from where that can sits . then the REG of LPG can reg it down to 6oz or where you are for elevation .
    Mil time from north pole service , DEW time .
    Sloth

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  10. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

I'm talking the 1 lb camping bottle. A 100 # bottle would not fit in the Eurocan camper.

SB21 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7