Combining wind and solar generators to one battery storage

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Yad Tsalach, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Yad Tsalach

Yad Tsalach Monkey

cool! thanks, I'll watch them.

2. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

ohms-law-peir-symbol.

Mountainman and BTPost like this.
  3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Yep, that pic is accurate, but Yad isn't ready for it. (My apologies if I'm under estimating you @Yad Tsalach.) BTPost's analogies are the place to start with electrical business, especially with DC which is where we want to start.

So:
    For now, here's a nugget to chew on. Ampere hours is a measure of energy stored in a battery. There is a more or less similar but far more accurate rating in watt hours, which takes voltage into account, but they are NOT the same thing at all.

Yad, your research has to start at a more basic level than easily initiated on a forum like this. Let me suggest taking a ride to the local library and get a copy of
    Delmar's Standard Textbook of Electricity
    by Stephen L. Herman
    Or snag one off the web for CHEAP. This is super basic and requires zero previous exposure. With a little basic scoop, the answers to your questions might even be comprehensible to me.

Cautionary note: The guys that know this stuff are more than capable of snowing you under with details you don't need YET. Don't get discouraged, learning is good, and sometimes stepping back for a beer is even better.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    TnAndy likes this.
  4. ghrit

More nuggets -

Solar panels are rated in output watts. Bear in mind that these ratings assume full sun (insolation) to achieve the ratings. Panels can be combined in various ways to increase voltage and/or amperage in front of the charge controller feeding the batteries, but no matter what you do, full sun is what you need to reach the rated output.

Wind turbine power output is also rated in watts. That power rating assumes wind of a certain speed. The volts and amps are unique to the turbine and will not combine usefully at the input to your charge controller unless they are identical machines.

5. Cruisin Sloth

Each turbine needs it's OWN controller , due to braking !!
    Sloth
    And No worries , I started years ago , dad didn't scold me , I blew all the fuses in 1960 ,, cold dinner that night !!
    Sloth

Yard Dart and ghrit like this.
  6. ghrit

Ooops. Forgot braking and feathering.

7. Yad Tsalach

Yad Tsalach Monkey

thanks for not laughing, and thank you for the clarification. I'll see if I can find the book. It's funny how it should make sense, but it is still a little confusing.
    I like the beer idea, I understand that one! And no offense taken. My ignorance of this stuff is pretty obvious. I took BT Post's suggestion and ordered a copy of "The Amateur's Radio Handbook" off ebay. I'll check and see if I can find a copy of "Delmar's" Thanks for the suggestions.

8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

You will not go wrong with the ARH as a basic tutorial, especially with DC Electricity... Now AC & RF Systems get into a whole new area of Physics...

9. Cruisin Sloth

Copy that picture I posted , you WILL ALWAYS need it .
    P=Power in watts , I is current as in Amps ,E is electromotive force as Volts ,
    And R is resistance as in Ohms . With only two factors you can figure out all loads and powers .

Sloth.

10. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Every single component of my system is independently wired through individual switches (on-off-on) so that at any time I can test individual batteries or solar panels or the windmill, for individual amperage and voltage or their combined amperage and voltage.
    even an on-grid battery charger and a small engine/alternator, and a 6500-watt diesel generator.
    Because higher voltage travels better than low voltage, getting power from the shop trailer where the main bank is to the house I use an inverter on a 100' extension cord to a battery charger at the house servicing those batteries that feed the house wiring 12-volt lighting and such. the shop has its own charge controller on the solar, and every other charging component have their own.
    The battery charger at the house is also the charge controller for that bank.

Cruisin Sloth and BTPost like this.
  11. Yad Tsalach

Yad Tsalach Monkey

do you want to hear something funny? I dont even know what RF stands for!
    thanks for the explanation! ~ I thought it was some sort of an ancient Aztec symbol! :)

12. Yad Tsalach

Yad Tsalach Monkey

I'm going to have to read your post a couple more times because I'm sure there are a lot more good ideas in there, but right now I'm stoked about the on/off switches on everything! You would laugh at me the way I am unhooking the wind generator from the battery every time I want to check its output. Thinking of just flipping a switch is blowing my mind! THANK YOU!

13. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

RF is Radio Frequency. The Radio Waves that make Radio, Tv, Cellphones, work...

14. Yad Tsalach

Yad Tsalach Monkey

Yep! I can leave that for later. I first want to experience that momentary pleasure of feeling like a genius when I actually get my combination solar/wind system working! :)

15. Cruisin Sloth

That picture is a Aztec symbol of the math required to figure the basic numbers.
    Then we have a word of voltage drop , power droop etc.
    Its not that hard at-all , I got it and was kicked out of 3 public schools as a kid.
    One is the P quarter of the 360* Aztec symbol, I E is amps times voltage , So my table saw is 220Vac and uses 6 amps it says on the motor ! 220 times 6 = 1320 watts of POWER !!
    See how the Aztec symbol of math works ??
    Sloth

16. Yad Tsalach

Yad Tsalach Monkey

Not Yet! But I'm not giving up! I was kicked out of 4 public schools, but I kept trying till I passed the 5th!!! :)

17. Yad Tsalach

Yad Tsalach Monkey

I get your sloth picture... I can relate! :)

18. I toured the new (coal fired) Montpellier power plant in 1959, (I was eight years old). We were each given one of those coins. I remember being an apprentice and finally knowing what those letters meant.(1975). It is amazing how powerful those equations are. Montpellier plant closed about three years ago now.

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  19. Yad Tsalach

Yad Tsalach Monkey

If it took you 26 years to figure it out, I should be posting again on this forum sometime around the year 2047! :)

20. I just didn't have a reason to pursue it till then.

1. T. Riley
  2. TnAndy
  3. DKR
  4. Prepper12
  5. Gafarmboy
  6. TnAndy
  7. Sojourn
  8. Yard Dart
  9. jcsok
  10. Cruisin Sloth
  11. ED GEiN
  12. Redi2