Coming to Oregon Steens Mountain...Wind Farms!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Quigley_Sharps, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Coming to Steens Mountain...Wind Farms! <hr style="color: rgb(255, 255, 255); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> For all those that have been pushing wind power as the green answer to our energy needs, your 400 ft. tall chickens just came home to roost.

http://www.oregonlive.com/environmen...ain_could.html

"Harney County has cleared Columbia Energy Partners of Vancouver to build a wind farm on the mountain's north slope. By year's end, 415-foot turbines could start rising from the juniper and sagebrush, among thousands of towers that developers are stampeding to build across eastern Oregon.

In addition, Columbia Energy has two more wind projects in the works for the Steens slope, plus another for Riddle Mountain to the northeast. A Houston company is scouting 18,000 acres to the south for a wind farm in the Pueblo Mountains, and more could follow."

For thos of you who have Google Earth installed, here is a link to show the visual inpact and location of the first proposed farm.

http://www.onda.org/defending-desert-wilderness/steens-mountain-wilderness/steens-mountain-propsed-wind-power-project

Follow down about 1/3 on the page and look for the link.

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

There are some questions --

3. texican

texican Monkey+

Everyone's all for green energy, as long as NIMBY rules apply.

Seems it's also true for 'old' energy, as long as NIMBY applies.

(Not In My Back Yard).

I have a gas well on my property... sorta wish it wasn't there. I get small checks each month, as well as unlimited free natural gas (which I use indiscriminately) and also drip gas for (someday) vehicles and oil lamps.

If everyone had to have a mini industrial complex in their backyard, they might feel a little bit better about a non polluting, yet eyesore, in thier viewshed.

4. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

If people have a problem with it; paint the doggone things! Match their surroundings. Ta-da! ;)

5. Ivan

Ivan Monkey++

i find them rather pretty, but they kill bats.

bats eat mosquitoes and mosquitoes eat me, so ill miss 'em if their gone. why not a nice solar tower instead?[dunno]

6. OzarkSaints

OzarkSaints Monkey++

texican......found a piece of property that we love, has a gas well on it and we were wondering if there is any issue with ground water contamination from that if ya drill a water well in the vicinity of the gas well?

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7