Common ammo availability if SHTF

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by PapaSasquatch, Dec 27, 2012.

Tags:
  1. PapaSasquatch

PapaSasquatch Monkey++

I'd assume just get a simple rock chucker but I don't want to labor so much and be limited to too little shooting. Part of the joy and freedom of shooting is being able to take friends and let them shoot too and not hold back. I shoot a lot and I know I'd quickly get discouraged loading manually so slow. That's the reason I'd go with a nice progressive like the Dillon 6xx.

2. NWPilgrim

NWPilgrim Monkey++

Progressives are great if you can afford not only the press but the various feeders and shell plates. If funds are limited a Lee Classic turret press is affordable, cheap to accommodate many calibers, easy to switch back and forth between calibers and reasonably fast production.

Nice thing about reloading is that it costs about half of even the cheapest factory ammo in the cheapest calibers. So for the same money I can stock up for twice as many rounds.

Also, components can be used by multiple calibers. So if you can't get .400" bullets, the same primers and powder used for .40 can be redirected toward loading 9mm. And .308 and .30-06 can share every component but the case. I can even use some of the same powders such as Varget in both .223 and Garand loads in .30-06.

So I can stock up on 10k small pistol primers and then decide as I go how many to use for 9mm, 9x18, .40, .38, etc. and change that plan if circumstances change. Same for Varget and Power Pistol: buy 16# now and figure out through the year how much to use fir various calibers according to circumstances andy changing interests.

Also by buying components I can get bulk discounts at lower levels than for complete ammo. A thousand .224" premium bullets cost $154 for a 25% discount, but I would have to spend at least $350 bucks and then only get a 7% discount on some of the cheapest ammo. 8 lbs of powder will load over 2,000 rds of .223 and at $140 for 14% discount, or I can buy milsurp powder for $90/8# and get 45% savings.

And if you cast your own bullets from salvaged lead you are in fat city cost wise. Primers are about 3.5 cents/rd, powder is about 2 cents. Handgun factory lead bullets are about 7 cents/rd. so if you cast your own you cut more than half your reloading cost which was already half of bulk factory ammo.

It does not take a lot of money to start reloading. I used a (then) $25 Lee single stage press for 20 years before upgrading to the turret press. Over those twenty years I slowly accumulated imore tools, dies, manuals. I can comfortably load several hundred rounds in one day, so I usually spend about 2 partial days per month loading for stockpiles, and shooting around 500-800 rds/month.

Moatengator, marlas1too and CATO like this.
  3. marlas1too

marlas1too Monkey+++

when all else is gone I can still make my own black powder for my flintlock

4. -06

-06 Monkey+++

IMO one should have a "threshold" or reserve that never gets dug into. I try to keep 5K primers in all four types, powder to "match", and commercial ammo/or milsup in ample supply. Really do not know how much lead I have but believe it is "enough". Being able to cast your own "boolits" will save you a lot of money and is not expensive to get into--just cast outside or with very good ventilation. Any camp stove will get lead hot enough to pour.

tbf8170, marlas1too and HK_User like this.
  5. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Along with that is the need to reload now, so that you know the process and the pit falls.

tbf8170, oldawg and marlas1too like this.
  6. HK_User

Speaking of Black Powder.

Have you made your own Black Powder?

In the cap and ball arena I have produced my own caps from aluminum cans and
    Cap Pistol Caps.

Also used matches for the cap igniter but they are less reliable.

I'll post pictures if some see the need, the cap forming process is with a punch and forming tool. Pre made, but get them now or never.

7. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Kits are available but you really do not need to go that route. A single stage press, scale, powder dispenser, calipers, shell holders for your calibers, and die for the same. A tumbler is nice but steel wool will suffice. First you need a good manual and old ones will do just as well as a new one. I bought a box of stuff online from a nearby gent and when I picked it up he said that two other boxes went with it. Ended up with more stuff than I knew what to do with. Have given away quite a bit of it to newbies--folks helped me get started. On a final note: If you watched the movie "Patriot" (Mel Gibson) you saw that he melted his lead on a campfire---you do not need a lot to do what has to be done but like HK User said-- "git er dun" now.

BTPost and HK_User like this.
  8. HK_User

As to Manuals, also look around for a cast boolits reloading manual and pick up some Gas Checks for rifle reloading or high speed pistol rounds. The gaschecks can also be used for a base and top cap for loading shot in a standard brass shell. Be mindful of what you buy and what you can use as a double purpose. I've used cast .308s with unique for varmints. Load to the cast boolits manual.

9. NWPilgrim

NWPilgrim Monkey++

I do the same as -06 in keeping minimum reserves set aside that I do not dip into. For instance I have 2,000 loaded rounds in .223 in a reserve dry box. I also keep an inventory of all reloading components and set min levels for each. I have 4,000 small rifle primers in reserve, minimum of 4,000 bullets (usually have 6k-8k) in .224", minimum of 14# of powder for .223, and at least 2,000 cases available either empty or already loaded.

There is another 2,000 rds of .223 of various types in my regular use ammo cans that get used up and replenished often but the reserves are not touched.

I have done similar reserves and re-order levels for .22LR (10K), 9mm, .40, 7.62x39, and .30-06, and lower amounts for .45 and .30 Carbine. All other calibers have supplies but I don't have to track so closely as they are not used much ir depended upon.

tbf8170 likes this.
  10. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

I found 5.56 at some on line site allegedly in stock for 499 a thousand. What a deal.

11. -06

-06 Monkey+++

I laugh at some of these new prices--one would think ammo is made from gold judging by the prices demanded. Reload and you drastically cut prices. I loaded @ 200 '06s last night and primed two trays of 380s tonight. Will load them tomorrow evening. Have about 6-700 cleaned/primed 223s ready for "stuffing". Probably have .30 each in the 223s if you buy everything. If you cast your own and save/scrounge your brass you can cut that in half. I do not shoot much anymore but still enjoy putting things together for the "third box".

HK_User likes this.
  12. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Where have you found brass? I can't find any.

13. Rune

Rune Monkey

In my area it's been crazy to all the ammo flying out the doors. If the stores do get any its gone the same day. Even .22lr is next to impossible to find. I hope supply catches up soon. As far as loading, I use a lee and it works good. Not a high volume but it lets me produce a good round. Love my 12ga though. It's my go to weapon of choice :)

14. marlas1too

marlas1too Monkey+++

i scored lots of brass from a local store in Winchester Va. today they sell reloading supplies --steel re-loaders--- I stocked up on 30-06 and 30-30 also i scored some more powder "yea"

15. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Marla,You do any trading ?

16. marlas1too

marlas1too Monkey+++

gator ---I LOVE BARTER

17. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Cool I may can hook you up with some. 30/30

18. marlas1too

marlas1too Monkey+++

kool i just paid 15.00 for 125 once fired brass

19. marlas1too

marlas1too Monkey+++

what do you need

20. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I roll with 308 and 223 I will check how many I have when I beach in. Pretty sure I have a quart ziplock bag of 30/30 and 30.06 laying around.

1. T. Riley
  2. duane
  3. OldDude49
  4. oil pan 4
  5. Oddcaliber
  6. deMolay
  7. Grandpa Patch
  8. Bishop
    Thread

Socket mold

Here is how I make my slingshot ammo with a socket. [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Dec 2, 2018, 6 replies, in forum: Bushcraft