Communication Tips

Discussion in 'Freedom and Liberty' started by melbo, Aug 7, 2005.

1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Thanks a lot Tracy! THis is good stuff. I knew you'd be good in this forum.

2. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

Tracey,

You mean to tell me when I wrote my Senators last month and didn't get a response it might have been how I addressed my letters?

The udishonorable Carl Levin The dishonorable Debbie Stabenow
    United States Senate United States Senate
    100 Waste My Money Boulevard 100 Waste My Money Boulevard
    Wastingtown, District of Crap, USA Wastingtown, District of Crap, USA

To my two favorite fools:

Thanks for all your BS. I have recommended both you for the pork barrel spenders award. I think both of your should be tried for treason.

Worst Regards,

Clydesdale Fromhell

PS: Carl--enough already with the combover. Your bald. Quit kidding yourself

3. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

:shock: Gee, Clyde, I'm really not sure why they didn't reply to you.

Here are some tips to use the next time you want to get ahold of them:

Tips On Telephoning Your Elected Representatives
    To find your senators' and representative's phone numbers, you may call the U.S. Capitol Switchboard at (202)224-3121 and ask for your senators' and/or representative's office.

Remember that telephone calls are usually taken by a staff member, not the member of Congress. Ask to speak with the aide who handles the issue about which you wish to comment.

After identifying yourself, tell the aide you would like to leave a brief message, such as: "Please tell Senator/Representative (Name) that I support/oppose (S.___/H.R.___)."

You will also want to state reasons for your support or opposition to the bill. Ask for your senators' or representative's position on the bill. You may also request a written response to your telephone call.

Tips On Writing Congress
    The letter is the most popular choice of communication with a congressional office. If you decide to write a letter, this list of helpful suggestions will improve the effectiveness of the letter:

Your purpose for writing should be stated in the first paragraph of the letter. If your letter pertains to a specific piece of legislation, identify it accordingly, e.g., House bill: H. R. ____, Senate bill: S.____.

Be courteous, to the point, and include key information, using examples to support your position.

Address only one issue in each letter; and, if possible, keep the letter to one page.

Addressing Correspondence:

To a Senator:
    The Honorable (full name)
    __(Rm.#)__(name of)Senate Office Building
    United States Senate
    Washington, DC 20510

Dear Senator:

To a Representative:
    The Honorable (full name)
    __(Rm.#)__(name of)House Office Building
    United States House of Representatives
    Washington, DC 20515

Dear Representative:
    Note: When writing to the Chair of a Committee or the Speaker of the House, it is proper to address them as:

Dear Mr. Chairman or Madam Chairwoman:
    or Dear Mr. Speaker:

Tips On E-mailing Congress
    Generally, the same guidelines apply as with writing letters to Congress.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7