Gear Review Complete Solar Kit (for hiking)

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Brokor, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

The problem with that is the technology involved is photovoltaic (PV) and it's surprisingly good considering the relative time we've been using it, but you can't have a tiny solar panel and expect it to perform like a full sized one (not yet anyway). I like ALLPOWERS brand because I've had success with it, but we're certainly not limited to this company as there are numerous quality charging systems out there. This one strikes me as something that might fit into your parameters, but you will have to decide for yourself: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076LYWMZ4/?tag=survivalmonke-20
    I want to add that, for a full size laptop, you're going to have to scale-up and be willing to spend money unless you can wait for it to charge. The 18w and 21w systems will work, but they will work slowly on such a large device. For cellphones, small items like Kindle or a 5v tablet these systems work best. If you're not charging directly off the panels and use a portable charger pack, keep in mind the limitations of the device and the charge rate. I do not have a great deal of experience in this field, and only know the basics, but I do know that there's no cheap way out and there are always compromises. The key is to limit your power needs.

Also don't buy too far above what you really need. An 18w system will work great for charging a tablet or multiple small devices, and a 21w may do even better -but you have to judge what's best according to your budget. What I look for is dependability. Is it rugged enough to take outdoors and is it weatherproof? Are the connections sound or will they break or burn out with extended use? Obviously size is important, but the smaller you go, the less surface area you have to convert energy.

Yeah, that's not too shabby at all. Anything above a 15% conversion rate is good, really.

More info on PV tech (great write-up) Don’t Be a PV Efficiency Snob | Do the Math

Ganado, Motomom34 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  2. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

I should add that I used the setup Brokor linked at the start (with a Swiss Power bank) while we were in NZ last year (and on numerous trips here since). For powering AA/AAA, Radio and Camera batteries I am most happy. You need to learn routine and discipline about your charging routines but it is all most functional.

3. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Thanks for the report!
    I've also updated the solar equipment list: Your List

1. Prepper12
  2. Motomom34
  3. RightHand
  4. Yard Dart
  5. omingnome
  6. rsbhunter
  7. Huntinbull
  8. chillpill