compressed air knife...interesting.

Discussion in 'Blades' started by MbRodge, Jun 15, 2008.

1. MbRodge

MbRodge Monkey+++

http://www.waspknife.com/about.php

From the website:

"As divers, we all know what the effects of compressed gas are underwater. Our training teaches us that our lungs would burst from over-inflation if we held our breath and rose to the surface. This principle is key to the effectiveness of the WASP Injection System.
    This weapon injects a frozen ball of compressed gas approximately the size of a basketball at 850psi nearly instantly. The effects of this injection will drop many of the world's largest land predators. The effects of the compressed gas not only cause over-inflation during ascent when used underwater, but also freezes all tissues and organs surrounding the point of injection on land or at sea. When used underwater, the injected gas carries the predator to the surface BEFORE blood is released into the water. Thus giving the diver added protection by diverting other potential predators to the surface."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    From Me:

It seems like a sound concept, but I'm not any kind of expert. What do you guys think this thing would do to someone on land? it is pretty pricey, but it seems like it should have close to the same stopping power as a gun if you managed to get it into someone's lungs or some such. Anyone with medical insight into the effects of this on a two legged predator?

2. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Talking out my spincter( I'm not a doctor and don't even play one on tv!)
    Certainly fatal, surely would collapse a lung if the plueral cavity(thorax) was pressurized as far as "frozen tissue"I would hazard a guess it would be localized to the point of injection even if the entire liver or pancreas was "killed" it would take sometime for you to die(?). Leave a hell of a "wound channel" for a knife.

Thinking on it: if the expanding
    gas bubble ripped your liver apart you would bleed out pretty fast though
    injecting gas into the bloodstream would be "bad"...
    Thanks I'll stick with the.45acp and12 ga...
    :)

3. MbRodge

MbRodge Monkey+++

I'd MUCH rather have a gun, but when you live in a state that won't issue a concealed carry you have to look for unregulated alternatives. I'm just wondering if this would give me any additional benifit over just a good ol' Kabar...I'm thinking it might. If you get those bubbles into the blood stream it seems like it should prove fatal.

4. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

"concealed weapons"limitations may not just mean firearms..Some of the blade guys should jump in on whats legal to carry concealed..
    fatal,deadly,lethal just not immediate..should build one of those using a blank 5.56 or .308 cartridge to generate the gas...
    poor man's james bond author Kurt Saxon; talks about distilling ammonia down to a super concentrate and filling a squirt gun...

5. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I would think it should make a mess of someone. One thing thought that I would wonder about would be recoil. It claims to expand instantly and depending on how 'instant' instant is 850 PSI could shoot that handle back awfuly hard.

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

The vid clip shows recoil. Doesn't look bad, and it is down, not back.

7. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Here's a vid of one in action (against a watermelon)

Untitled Page

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2015
  8. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

All we are missing in that video are the sound effects... Some martial arts ki-eye or some southern whoops. Hy-ya! Yee haw!

That reminds me when I scared the shit out of a co-worker one time. I was playing (before work) with my newly scratch-built single shot paintball shotgun- a length of 2" pvc with a valve on the end, connected to a single 12 gram CO2 cartridge. You loaded a baggy full of paintballs down the pipe and after you loaded the CO2 cartridge, you opened the valve. It would give you a 5 foot pattern at 25 yards.

Anyway, I didn't load any paintballs, just the CO2 cartridge. A buddy of mine was pulling into the parking lot and I pulled it out and opened the valve... It is basically like pulling the handle on a fire extinguisher; a big cloud of frost whooshed out the end.

Although we all laughed, could you imagine what would happen if I had done that in this day and age? [siren]

The knife looks interesting, has a neat background, it looks well made, but it costs WAY too much for me!

9. MbRodge

MbRodge Monkey+++

Thank you for posting that video, I now think that it is a worth while investment.

10. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Wow! that is an explosive effect, that would definitely ruin a bad guys weekend..

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7