Concealed Carry Sheath for Fixed-blade Fighting Knife?

Discussion in 'Blades' started by Seacowboys, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I typically carry a Spyderco Police clipped into my pocket and generally a boot-knife in the top of my Dan Posts but would like to find a comfortable sheath that parallels the back of my belt for a favorite fighter or maybe a shoulder harness, something comfortable, easy access and readily deployed. I am not into tacticool at all but very much into form and function. Any suggestions?

Ganado likes this.
  2. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I don't know much about concealed carry blades. Not legal in my AO. I can say that popping one on your hip, where it is to hand, works fine for me.

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I always liked that idea of across the back until I remembered how much time I spend sitting or driving. Just thinking out loud, maybe crosswise in the front?

4. Seacowboys

I really like this particular sheath, wish I had one for my favorite. Decent looking rig though, might have to get one.

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  5. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

With the clip edge sharpened, it cuts both ways; that is a sweet fighter.

Seacowboys likes this.
  6. Seacowboys

If you can find them, Nick's blades are pretty pricey, that one originally sold for $450.00 but that's been a few years ago and they have steadily gone up. Maybe we could talk Bear into making similar ones?

kellory and ghrit like this.
  7. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

For fighting, sharpening the clip side is a great idea; however, no way am I paying $450 for a knife. Current prices are $1K. Where is the eek emot-icon.

Garand69 and Seacowboys like this.
  8. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

I've been very happy with the quality and cost of these. Very good service and comms. I have two or three for different knives. Here's a link. Robert Jones' Hand Sewn Leather

9. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Check your local laws, before sharpening the clip. Some places will not allow a double edged knife. (Knife laws vary widely.)

Sgt Nambu and chelloveck like this.
  10. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I make my own leather sheaths with full coverage ,that way in the brush the knife can't get pulled out accidentally or some one else can't grab it easily .
    My next knife and gun holster is going to be a chest pack I no longer like hanging stuff in my hips .

GOG likes this.
  11. Seacowboys

I think I will try to make a Damascus copy of that little Bowie with elephant ivory scales, if I can find a full tang blank to work from.

12. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

My father used to carry a Bowie in an across the waist sheath. It fit under his parachute and allowed for a draw to the right... as I recall it was a standard bowie sheath which was modified in the Parachute shop to include two straps approximately 6 inches apart that were able to be used in a back of the waist horizontal carry.

arleigh likes this.
  13. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I think that one should think long and hard about using elephant ivory , it is a serious issue.

14. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I would have to agree. There is no legal use of the elephant in the US. I have one of the last pairs of Tony Llama's elephant hide boots made before the law changed. (Nor do I agree with it. Profits from the boot sales were funding the hunting of the poachers. )

15. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

kellory likes this.
  16. RAMBOCAT

RAMBOCAT GHOST MONKEY

SOG "MINI PENTAGON" is a bad to the bone fighting knife; with a sheath that can be worn in a multitude of ways; including my favorite.....as a neck knife. It's big brother, the PENTAGON has gone to a crap nylon sheath and to get any real carry options you'll have to do what I did and get a custom Kydex sheath made for it.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  17. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Been working on a system that employs magnets, but they haven't passed the rough house test yet.
    I once had a mountain lion jump on the trail just a few feet in front of me , he could have , just as easily dropped on me and rolled into the thick brush below .
    Though I had a Rifle in hand, it may not have been easy to use in that scenario.
    Though I cary a western bowie, in a typical belt sheath, accessing it in a scuffle with a big cat, may have been difficult as well .
    In the bush, or on the street, predators are not going to give warning, and stand there like paper targets, to let you prepare.
    I have come to two places I like weapons for emergencies .
    Diving I want my blade on my calf . I can always bring it to my hand if I need it .
    I like my side arm either on a chest pack or shoulder holster .
    Having used a thigh holster ,it's almost as handy as a calf knife sheath . BUT
    The problem there is movement and jarring and loosing things attached to the legs while running , crawling, and climbing .
    Boot knives have been lost that way too .
    Secondly , if one is in a scuffle with other person/s , how accessible is your weapon to others ?
    Diving knife sheathes do not come out easily, good practice /muscle memory is critical , additionally they are not blade oriented ,either way works.
    Having worked in murky water, zero visibility , being able to draw the blade knowing which way it's face is critical.
    I check this before I dive.
    Knowing how you are going to draw the blade in a desperate moment , means having planned for it well ahead of time. and practice.

GOG and Witch Doctor 01 like this.
  18. Lone Gunman

Lone Gunman Draw Varmint!

:unsure: Across your back? No! Too risky if you fall backwards and land on your back. No good if you have to wrestle with someone, either. Shoulder harness? No, again. That's way too much material for a knife sheath. Better to save the shoulder harness for a large pistol.

I've carried one knife or another for more than 50 years. Where? Opposite the holster and either just before or just after the, 'point of the hip'. OTB or ITB doesn't matter; but the larger knives seem to do better OTB. For, 'serious work' where did I like to carry a (small) straight knife? Well, I'd wrap the blade in paper and slip it underneath an ACE bandage on the inside of my opposite forearm.

Hint: With forearm carry, once you're within arm's reach the target won't even see it coming! Which is, 'Why' I never allow an, 'interviewee' to hold his hands together while we are talking; and, I maintain the habit of moving slightly backwards after someone walks up to me and, then, stops. If that person, 'wants' me then he's going to have to reach; and the moment he begins to orientate his body in sync with mine - by, say, taking another step forward as I take a step back - I, pretty well, know that I've got a, 'problem'.

The last time this happened to me I simply drew on the man. Turned out he was concealing a small 22 LR pistol! If I hadn't been, 'quick' on that one I don't think I'd be writing this right now! Why? Because I am 100% positive that he was up to no good.) ;)

19. Lone Gunman

Lone Gunman Draw Varmint!

Arleigh, I just read your above reply. Got 'a say: Once it happens, there's no cure for being ambushed! Without getting all mysterious and psychic on ya, I'm going to tell you that what I do is to: 'Try never to walk too far outside the usual boundaries between the conscious mind, and that greater universal consciousness which surrounds us, all.'

What I'm saying is that you've often got to be able to, 'feel' things before you actually see them. I don't care what this sort of extrasensory hyperawareness is called: extrasensory perception, clairvoyance, precognition, or just plain good old fashioned perspicacity. It's real; and one of the necessary prerequisites for surviving any dangerous situation is to be able to recognize and know how (and, 'WHEN') to listen to it.

I can think of no time in my life when I did NOT listen to that, 'small inner voice' from deed inside myself that I didn't end up getting into trouble and wishing that I'd listened. Don't believe me? Don't think any of this is possible? OK, a good healthy form of skepticism is always useful.

Read the biography of James Edward (Jim) Corbett, the world-famous British colonial hunter of wild man-eating cats. By Corbett's own admission he wouldn't have survived his hunting career without using his own very well developed extrasensory perception! Then, read some of the stories of the survivors of the Oklahoma Murrah Building bombing. The, so-called, 'Hand Of God' is obvious in several of these accounts, too!

No gun, no knife, no superior H2H skill is going to do anyone any good if - IF - he's unable to sense and, 'see' the attack coming ahead of time! Oftentimes the real, 'secret' to staying alive - to prevailing in the midst of conflict - is simply to be able to, 'stay ahead of the curve'! :)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
    jim2 and Ganado like this.
  20. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

After being hunted a few times you'd think I'd develop a second sense over it, but I'm just not that way .
    Most other times, like driving, I believe God gives me direction, and I have averted a lot of danger over an over . there's just not the sense of being fearful in the bush ,though I know caution is important .
    I know better then to tempt God's care, by going in the woods unprepared .
    I think inside us all there is the feeling that, we want to think the world is a safer place than it really is, and assume too much about wild life . probably more prevalent with city kids and movie making.
    Problem with predators is, they can sense prey, and those that are fearful , so if your walking around fearful, it's like a neon sign ,"Here I am pick me ".

1. 3M-TA3
  2. GOG
  3. 3M-TA3
  4. Yard Dart
  5. JLRhiner
  6. Hanzo
  7. Hanzo
  8. Andy the Aussie
    ...it's my excuse anyway... ;) [IMG] [IMG]
    Thread by: Andy the Aussie, Dec 21, 2018, 8 replies, in forum: Blades
  9. STGThndr
  10. Bandit99