Concrete Info Needed:)

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by magnus392, Mar 17, 2006.

1. magnus392

magnus392 Field Marshall Mags Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Hey guys,

I am getting ready to settle on a bullet wieght for my Savage FP-110 in .300 WinMag. I have a 24" heavy barrel with a 1in10 twist rate (button rifled) I am currently set up for 165grain, and want to know if 150 or 185 would be better for target shooting? I will hunt with it some, but more bench shooting.

2. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

165grain will work great extra long range would be 220's for the BC

3. magnus392

Sorry I am completely bolt ignorant. What is BC? British Columbia? Big Chuck? Big Cahuna? :D

More than likely the longest shot I will be going for is 300 yards. But if I had to 500 wouldn't be OUT of the question.

4. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

Ballistic coefficient. 180s are a good weight, probably the best weight if you want one bullet for everything. The Sierra 190 Match King would be the best complement to the 180s, and would be an excellent loooong range bullet.

5. Quigley_Sharps

yea Ghost i meant 180 was thinking 338 cal for some reason :(
    look at these magnus 30 Cal. 180 Gr. Spitzer Nosler AccuBond or the 150s
    fly like a Balistic tip and hit like a hunting bullet freight train i have shot many animals with them.

6. ghostrider

Yeah, I've got some 225 grain BTs for my .35 Whelen. Most excellent bullet. Trajectory like a 30-06, but that big bullet does a lot more at the other end.

7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Humble suggestion: Get a few boxes of each and try 'em out. Rifles can be particular about what you feed 'em. Besides, everyone needs an excuse to go to the range more ofen.

8. Quigley_Sharps

Yea Ghirt Im a reloader and always think along those lines. forgot there are factory ammo shooters.

9. ghostrider

Have you tried Retumbo for the 300 Win. I heard it was a good powder for the heavy weight bullets. H4831 and H1000 are probably the best two for that caliber.

10. Quigley_Sharps

No i havnt Ghost I use H1000 for my 300 Rum and other mags and shoot less than MOA might have to try it out.

11. ghostrider

I wouldn't if I found one that shot like that. My load development for my .270 Win was buy a can of H4831, work up to the load that shot the best with the 130 gr Speer BT. Back off one grain for a Ballistic Tip.

12. Quigley_Sharps

Yea mine shoot great but there are some other bullets that wont, and sometimes just a powder change or primer brand makes the difference.

13. magnus392

I don't reload yet, but I want to in the future. Right now yes I am running factory loads.

Federal Premium 165gr Nosler Partition.

So you guys think a 180 gr set up would be better?

14. Quigley_Sharps

For deer both are good ones, Run the 165s and see where they group, then try a box of the 180's
    then when you get into reloading try a bunch of different loads, IMHO

15. magnus392

Rock on, I do have box of each on hand:) thanks for the info!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7