Confession time: I like Mauser bolt action battle rifles in 7.62mm

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Bud, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

OK.....so the Models A and B were ONLY chambered for the 7.62 CETME. So you agree I'm right about that. The FR7 and FR-8 were ALSO used with 7.62 CETME cartridges for training if you look at the Spanish training manuals. So I am right about that. So far nothing I have said has been disproven. Really, I don't see why you are so intent on causing trouble or starting some sort of argument with me and/or about this. Your argumentativeness and "in your face" attitude seem to be far out of line for a simple discussion of the Spanish rifles, unless of course, that is not the real reason for it.

2. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I have a simple question to add to this "discussion" What is it with you guys that you always have to be "right?" Can't you have a discussion, the meaning of which is a dialog, without raising your hackles as if someone p'ssed on your shoes? Grow up and act like real men.

Bear, ditch witch, Ganado and 4 others like this.
  3. Bud

Bud Monkey++

Okay, you win

I provide references to support my argument and you provide apparently something that I must have glossed over. I disagreed with your post, added links to where I was getting my info and still you win.

All better now?

have a nice bright sun shiny day basking in the glow of your Internet victory

and moderator, I was having a discussion. A discussion involves providing a statement and adding information that supports that contention. I started a post remarking how much I enjoyed Mausers and in particular, a specific model. Someone comes on and states what I know is an incorrect fact, thus derailing my discussion and I reply with facts and you want me to grow up and act like a real man.

Sorry I started the thread and I will go back to lurking and just reading for another six years or so. Please note that I wrote respectfully and didn't fire any HEAT rounds. I just merely disagreed.

Bear likes this.
  4. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Bud, I am aware that you were in discussion mode. Sorry if that was unclear. I'm a little testy over the constant bickering instead of discussing. We all come here to share information and learn from one another. I'm always disappointed when the discussion mode is turned into a competition. Other than a blatant safety issue, I much prefer to see references cited as you have done. Discussions are a healthy exchange of ideas and information, the way we learn and teach. I appreciate the thread and look forward to hearing more from you

Bear, BTPost, Yard Dart and 1 other person like this.
  5. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

OK, good by me.

Bear likes this.
  6. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Please do not go back to lurking..... I for one enjoyed and appreciated your information posted... well done my friend!! [winkthumb]

Bear, kellory, Ganado and 1 other person like this.
  7. Bud

Bud Monkey++

continuing...............

(I spent yesterday traveling 600 miles in my Jeep Wrangler pulling an overloaded trailer. I was in the Jeep with two Jack Russel terriers who decided it was necessary to challenge every semi I passed. There are a lot of semis on I-55 and then I-44. Along with that was her African Gray Parrot who spent the entire trip saying "mmmmm....good" which is what my wife says the parrot every time she feeds it. Once here in Missouri, I immediately renewed my life long of intoxsicating spirits.

I bough this second FR8 off Gun Broker as posted above. One of the reasons it went so cheap is that some nimrod decided he didn't like the straight bolt handle and decided to use some (unknown) method to turn the bolt handle down:
    [​IMG]
    The rifle is on it's way to my FFL in Illinois so I won't get to play with it until January when I return to Illinois. Then I can try to figure out how to straighten it back to the original shape. I want to use this bolt because of the matching serial number.
    Anyone have any suggestions?

Ganado and HK_User like this.
  8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

That handle was cold bent, and is now work hardened. Try bending it back cold, and it will break off. That is going to take some plain and fancy heat treatment to restore, and by no means in the skill set of the average smith if left in one piece. The one thing that might be in a good smith's range would be to cut it off in the square section, then do the heat treatment and straightening separately, then mig weld it back together in stages to control the HAZ. Best of luck.

Ganado likes this.
  9. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Unless you must have the straight bolt then convert it, in the correct way, to a turned down bolt.

Since it is already bent it would be correct for a Gunsmith to weld up the cracks and then grind to a proper look.

Check the whole bolt for any damage that may have occurred when it was first bent.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2015
  10. Bud

Bud Monkey++

Off the top of my head, I will probably just leave alone and go ahead and shoot it the way it is. My other thought was to just put the bolt away and use another 98K bolt with the rifle.

Clyde and Bear like this.
  11. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

@Bear might be able to save it for you. I would suggest you open a convo with him on what it would take.

Bear likes this.
  12. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

LOL... thanks for that vote of confidence @kellory

Wow! @Bud .... in my very humble opinion... That is a very very very dangerous component of gear you have there... I know everyone here wears eye protection when out having fun with their "toys"...

The problem, as @ghrit has stated, is that piece was bent and fractured the steel... steel has a crystalline structure and like a piece of glass... a crack will travel... what you don't know is how far those cracks have traveled and how that piece has fractured inside... by looking at the number of cracks in that... I'd be very concerned....

If it fails... (more like when it fails IMHO by looking at it)... you should expect for safety reasons that shards some tiny ... some large ... with travel... and Murphy's Law says... it will find it's way into your eye.. or some one else's who is with you.... I not only wear safety glasses but a full face protector with a full rimmed bucket hat when I grind, cut, sand and work steel... why?... because there are guys out there with serious permanent eye damage because the dust and tiny shards of steel have a way of finding their way around safety glasses... like bouncing off the rim of your baseball cap and right down to your eyes....

Problem with steel when it fails through fracture... is that you cannot predict where the shard or shards will fly or at what velocity.... a shard may also find it's way into the mechanism or the barrel and create another hazard for you....

Major unknown is that you don't know how it was bent... I was looking to see if there were signs on it... all I can see is some rubbing between the 4 and the 6 on the serial number... also looks to be some discoloration around the bend....

Even if that was heated and bent... those cracks (and there are many of them.. hence my concern about shards) are just too darn dangerous... when a piece shows any signs of cracks after forging or heat treating... the common and responsible practice to toss that in the trash...

Check the rest of it carefully as well... a magnifying glass or loupe will help greatly... that was probably clamped to bend it... look for other signs of stressed steel, bends or cracks....

I am not a trained gunsmith,... I know a little bit about steel, how it performs and heat treatment.... I would take that to a gunsmith and ask their opinion... my guess is there is a reason for the original design... and also the gunsmith may be able to share experience or others stories about that particular modification and your piece.... @HK_User gives good advice about having a good gunsmith take a look... find one who has worked on these... and send them the pic... if there are none nearby....

Essentially... I wouldn't take a chance with something that could potentially rob you or someone with you of one of their five senses... eye sight is pretty important IMHO...

Hope that helps...

Have a wonderful Wednesday!

Take Care and God Bless,

Bear

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  13. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

If it were mine, and I needed it fixed, I would either scrap that one, or cut the handle of an identical piece, and weld it on. Then have it heat treated.

14. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Aloha @Bud ,

My apologies... I just noted that you wanted to try to save this because of the matching serial numbers...

Definitely take it to a gunsmith and save all the paperwork... IMHO... the way to save this is to cut out the fractured portion and weld on a new mid section... the whole piece will need to be re heat treated at that point or maybe not... the gunsmith will know...

Or option two... save this as is ... without modification (just don't use it IMHO)... so any potential admirer or future buyer will know it is the original piece... and find a replacement for your use.... only reason why I say this is... any fix... will be obvious and may be questionable... besides ... it's a good story... ;)

Hope that helps as well....

Take Care and God Bless,

Bear

kellory likes this.
  15. Bud

Bud Monkey++

Thanks for the imput. I sent a note and photo to a friend of mine who is a gunsmith in the "Valley of the Gun" i.e. Prescott AZ. He has a lot of experience fixing 'bubbaed' guns so i will see what he says. But I think I need to try and locate another bolt. Numrich has a stripped bolt so maybe i will go that way.

Thanks!

Bear, ghrit and kellory like this.
  16. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Could you cut out the damaged section consider drilling and tapping out the two pieces and use threaded rod to connect them to the correct length then fill in the visible threaded rod to match the rest of the pieces.... Just a thought...

17. Pyrrhus

Pyrrhus Monkey+++

I'm not a big fan of that unknown method.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7