Confuscious says....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Witch Doctor 01, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

:D

Don't give up..... just realize that we all here have our opinion, and that some will make sure we delineate between what is right and wrong to keep the info between the lines as it should be. Your opinion is valuable and we were not trying to squish it... hope you can see what we were getting at.

Good to know. Thanks BT

Thanks minuteman. I believe the X shaped was used in a number of countries, including Mexico and even in the US, though simply as a torture/killing device with no religious meaning.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2014
    Minuteman likes this.
  2. Mike

Mike Ol' Army Sergeant Monkey

Most are politicians.

3. Mike

I served with a few really exceptional officers, but I also served with some very petty very controlling little Napoleons. But that was to be expected as I put 20 years there. To be fair, there were also some egomaniacs in the NCO corps as well. I don't miss the Army, but I sure miss the folks I served with. Most were exceptional people doing an exceptional job.

To all those who served in any branch, from an old hard headed Texan Sergeant First Class, "Thank you for your service to America".

Yard Dart, kellory and Minuteman like this.
  4. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

And in many a sex shop too. Or so I hear, not that I would have any first hand knowledge you understand.:cool:

Yard Dart likes this.
  5. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

I've never been in the military but in the private sector over the last 20 years I've worked with some really good managers (who were also leaders) and some that I wouldn't have taken a leak on if they were on fire...and the sentiment was returned.

I've worked with Executive management that really were, again, good leaders and overall good people who tried to do what was best for all involved and some (now, currently) that will literally drive a company into the ground if they feel it is best for the shareholder (don't ask me to explain that logic...I can't). This current one actually gets $57 MILLION to sell the company...regardless of whether or not it's the right thing to do.

My point is that douche nozzle management (and yes, that's ultimately what the Officers are) exists everywhere. They can be a little more of a "tin dictator" in the military because they have a captive audience. You can't "quit" and move to another unit and they can even prevent you from changing your MOS if they just want to screw with you.

The military doesn't have a lock on egocentric, self-serving, micromanaging, F*(@ with you just to F*(@ with you personalities. I've also worked with a LOT of former military both from the Officer Corps and the NCO ranks that weren't the...difficult to work for variety.

As far as thick-skin...has nothing to do with it. If someone who literally has no dog in the fight (isn't now and never was an Officer) calls you out for lumping EVERYONE into a single group...they're just calling you out for lumping EVERYONE into a single group. Their experience wasn't the same as yours and like BTPost mentioned, it's your experience that gives you that opinion.

Sure, stereotypes are great as a compression algorithm but that doesn't mean they are all accurate. If I said something like "All Native Americans are just drunks that live on the government dole" or "Mexican's can't be trusted" or "All black men beat their wives"...I gotta think you'd call me out for that (nevermind the vacation I would get...site supporter or not).

What I could do was say "It seems like" or "Man, every <fill in the blank> I've ever met" or "Why is it that all you ever hear about are", then it's FAR less inflammatory and is much less likely to register on the stereotype meter.

6. Mike

You are absolutely correct. As for my part, I will try to be less stereotypical and only pick on Army officers, as I have had few dealings with the other branches, lol.

7. Snake_Doctor

Snake_Doctor Call me Snake...

Very true

Mike likes this.
  8. Snake_Doctor

Hey! Lol. I worked in an adult store at sixteen for several months. You meet some..."Interesting" people there. I met one of the three best chess players I've ever had the pleasure of sitting across the board from.

Mike likes this.
  9. Mike

Chess? I love chess. Normally have to play the computer on my Ipad since none in my family play.

kellory likes this.
  10. Snake_Doctor

IMHO I think they all are. That's just my opinion and others are certainly welcome to theirs. I stand by what I say, unless I'm wrong. and t I don't think I am. I'm half Cajun and half Lakota.Your example of drunken Indians did not phase me in the slightest. I would be more offended by the term native American than by the fact that they have a massive alcoholism rate. I grew up in a family of drunks and drug addicts and go not drink. I have never been drunk or used drugs. People with that opinion are welcome to it and I do not chastise or whine at them. JMHO.

Mike and Yard Dart like this.
  11. Snake_Doctor

My brother was pretty good and taught me. When he was in jail he met this very quiet little guy who no one could beat, but he took 15-30 minutes to make each move. Have you ever played speed chess? That's hard to do.

kellory and Mike like this.
  12. Mike

I typically say Native American because your ancestors and part of mine (Cherokee) were here when folks mistakenly thought they had found India. Just to correct the record, this AIN'T India. So, there is my justification for using Native American. And if ya don't like it, then don't like it and move on quickly, lol.

Snake_Doctor likes this.
  13. Mike

Yup, when I was in high school I played my math teacher during lunch period. We would try to get two or three games in. And at that I could still think 16 to 20 moves ahead. He was way out of my league though. I learned a lot from him.

Snake_Doctor and kellory like this.
  14. Snake_Doctor

I'm gettin' old I was at 8-9 movesahadlast time I played.

kellory likes this.
  15. Snake_Doctor

LOL

Mike likes this.
  16. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Well, you could play it slowly in a "conversation" on SM -- (No, I don't play.)

Snake_Doctor and Mike like this.
  17. Mike

I'm probably a lot slower in thinking ahead than I was back then. Always dreamed of being a chess champ, but never made it, lol. But I do love a good game.

Ever try the 3-D chess board like the one from Star Trek? That is mind bending

18. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I used to play a guy who played several games at once ( he would do ten or more at once). I could win maybe 3 out of 10 when playing him one on one. I haven't had a fellow player in a couple of years though.

19. Snake_Doctor

I di that oncewith a girl in Russia, through the mail. Took a few years. She beat me. LOL
    No Never tried that one. Somewhere I have battle chess on floppy disk. It was cool because they killed each other and there were screams etc.

Mike likes this.
  20. Mike

I've played against a guy like that. He would take on three or four games simultaneously. The best I ever got was two at the same time.

kellory likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7