Congressional officials say congresswoman shot

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Quigley_Sharps, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Congressional officials say congresswoman shot

[​IMG] Play Video <cite class="caption"> ABC News – Arizona Congresswoman Shot </cite>

[​IMG] <cite class="caption">AP – FILE - This undated file photo provided by the Office of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, shows Democratic Rep. …</cite>

<cite class="vcard"> By DAVID ESPO, AP Special Correspondent David Espo, Ap Special Correspondent </cite> – <abbr title="2011-01-08T11:54:46-0800" class="recenttimedate">10 mins ago</abbr>
    WASHINGTON – Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, D-Ariz., was shot in the head and an aide killed Saturday when an assailant opened fire in an area where the lawmaker was meeting with constituents in Tucson, congressional officials said.
    An unknown number of others was injured, these officials said, including additional aides to the lawmaker. They were taken to a nearby hospital.
    One official added the attack was carried out with an automatic weapon.
    [ For complete coverage of politics and policy, go to Yahoo! Politics ]

The officials who described the events did so on condition of anonymity, saying they were not permitted to comment publicly.
    They said the FBI and local law enforcement were investigating the attack, which took place while Giffords was greeting constituents outside a grocery store.
    Giffords, 40, was re-elected to her third term last November. She was a member of the Arizona House and Senate before coming to Washington.
    She first won election to Congress amid a wave of Democratic victories in 2006. In November, she edged a tea party favorite.

2. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

You have to wonder if someone was voting roof top style.

3. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

I will be interesting to see of her voting record is tied to the unintended consequences of those actions. Get ready for the gun laws to be tightened now that one of "their" own was attacked. They will probably tie the shooter to the gun nuts and lump us all together.

4. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

My prayers are with her and her family and all those others killed and injured and their loved ones. One of the dead is a child.

5. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Fox news says she's a moderate democrat.

6. franks71vw

franks71vw Monkey+++

On CNN, they had someone commenting saying the we have a lot og nut jobs in this country and guns are everywhere for them to use.. yup here we go...

They are saying she is pro gun and pro choice....??

7. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

News is saying she's dead then they say she's alive and in surgery. Wish they'd make up their minds. I also wish people would stop using every tragedy to push their political agenda for a moment and consider the fact people were just SHOT. I'm not a Democrat, and I'd be one of those 2nd Amendment Sarah Palin Tea Party people, but I don't condone this at all.

8. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

You can be pro gun and pro choice. I know plenty of people who are.

9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

That would be me, for one. It just ain't going to be argued by me, one way or the other. (Here comes the "yeah, but" and pun intended.) Pro choice is a part of liberty and personal freedom to make your own bed and lie in it.

And now, back to the topic, hopefully after more of the facts are known. So far, I've seen published items that put her as a lib, as conservative, and middle of the road, and that all has no meaning to me. The meaning is that there is one injured/dead or otherwise public official that may or may not have deserved offing for public reasons, not real ones. Disgusting turn of events.

10. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Now it appears doctors are optomistic about her recovery. Six others died.

11. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

So, was the shooter "Pro Choice", in a sense, too?

12. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

Whether or she's lib/conserv/blue dog it does not matter She is in need of prayer right now along with the families of the deceased, including Judge Roll, Whether or not I agree with her politically,........... I know I for one will not sleep well tonight, because of this..........May GOD help us all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

Fox is reporting that the shooter was a big fan of the books The communist Manifesto, and Mein Kamph...............

14. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

15. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

POTUS didn't say much. Still too early I guess.

Our prayers are out to her family. We wish her a speedy recovery.

16. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Yeah. Bad and immoral choice, but a conscious choice.

17. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Does Arizona have death penalty? If so, I hope that is what the shooter gets.

18. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

If this had happened in Maricopa county that would have done happened sherriff Joe would have plugged him himself.

19. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I too am 'pro gun and pro choice' - the Good Lord gave us free choice.

Hope she pulls through, even though I may not vote for her - I do NOT know her voting record at this time. Heck, I wouldn't wish even the kenyan be done like a bad dog, though he may deserve it.

I really hate whackjobs that do crazy things like this, and end up harming innocents. At least this one didn't off himself - he will face justice. Hope the PTB there don't go easy on him and blame the gun instead.

20. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

Whether that arizona has the death penalty or not with the death of Judge Roll, it is now a federal case and does provide for the death penalty..................................

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7