Consumer grade ballistic concrete testing

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by oil pan 4, Apr 6, 2017.

1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Start with ignoring Brokor on concrete, regardless of his brag on hand mixing, pouring, settling, and finishing. That is labor, not knowledge. Valuable in practice, but not a lot of good for designing targets. (Side issue so long as such brags are allowed, I bought my books (and beers) in school laboring for a mason. We did it all, walls, floors, brick and block, summer, winter, spring and fall.)

I'm not sure exactly what your test is going to show you, but --
    The one thing, as you know, is consistency of your mix and placement in the forms. Failing that, you obviously will not get consistent results. If you are looking for gnat's nuts results, you are going to be in a weigh everything mode and I can't imagine you are looking for that level of precision. You might want to go for a frequently used basement floor and wall mix, which (IIRC) is USUALLY a 3Kpsi mix using 3/4" aggregate with the sand and cement. (Which, as any ready mix truck driver will tell you is right at 4000 pounds or a touch more. (@Brokor got one close for a change, and yes it matters a whole lot when it's your back carrying the hod, not his.)

Pavers are NOT structural concrete, they are similar, it's just that the aggregate is sand rather than stone. They are usually pretty consistent if bought from the same source. Frankly, I have serious doubts that you can be that consistent in homeowner size batches. (Batch plants that make pavers and cored blocks usually mix in 10 yard and up batches, thus limiting mixture variations.) I don't know any more than Google about the strength of the cured paver mix, but your local batch plant will probably know. I suspect that you'll not be wanting a full batch ---.

Now for the Google words on proportions of a routine around the house concrete.
    To make standard concrete, mix 1 part Portland cement, 1.5 parts gravel, 1 part sand with 0.5 parts water. These parts (proportions) are by volume. Variations are widely acceptable around the house, but for testing, maybe not so much. Uv cuss, this does NOT address the size of the gravel aggregate, that'll be up to you; if you decide to use paver size samples, you'll need to select a small gravel size, preferably smaller than 20% of the thickness. Sand is normally described in contract documents a "sharp, of uniform size" (suitable for bricklaying) Sharp is important, both for the "gravel" and the sand, because if round or worn, and cracks will propagate around the aggregate rather than be stopped by a sharp edge.

One thing to remember if you are measuring the gravel by volume is that smaller gravel is less gravel than larger. As a practical matter, that means nothing unless you are seriously looking for consistency.

Here's more -
    Concrete Mix Design - The Right Concrete Mix - The Concrete Network

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    mechstdr likes this.
  2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Inflammatory. I never bragged about anything. In fact, I specifically made that clear:
    You just have to poke... [lolol] (and so do I it seems. Sorry about that)

mechstdr, Yard Dart and ghrit like this.
  3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I do have some experience with pouring Concrete, in industrial Strength, and a lot more experience in Distructively Demolishing Concrete Structures, some of which were made with Military Grade 7 Bag Concrete that had 30# of Rebar per Cubic Yard... This later stuff was designed to withstand Direct Hits with Howitzer Grade Artillery... Very tough stuff, and it takes, a very systematic engineering approach to turn such structures into Gravel... especially if you do NOT want to destroy any surrounding Stuctures, at the same time...

mechstdr likes this.
  4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The sharpest sand like material I can think of would be crushed iron slag for sand blasting.
    It used to cost $4 per bag now it's more than double that. That price doesn't put it completely out side the realm of possibility.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    mechstdr likes this.
  5. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

I haven't looked into it much, but where does one get chopped fiberglass? I know it would be a horrific mess and the end of days if you did it wrong (and weren't covered head to toe with a mask on), but could you pull apart fiberglass insulation and mix it in? Just curious.

mechstdr likes this.
  6. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Alibaba has it, I linked it in my first reply. I don't know where to obtain any locally, might pay a bit more if you can acquire any.

mechstdr likes this.
  7. ghrit

Just because of the iron content it would be a poor aggregate, the more so if it is already rusted. Yes, rebar is iron, but it is also covered by cementitious material when it's in place. Now, for short term (as in cure and shoot) there should be no problem.

The big deal with rebar is that when it is exposed and starts rusting. Rust is expansive and will start spalling off concrete. Uv cuss, that is an accelerating process. These days, rebar is often specified in roads and bridges with coatings that will prevent moisture from getting at the rebar itself. Clumsy handling does the obvious. There are piles of rebar that have been rejected by inspectors due to, um, mis handling, either by accident or on purpose.

mechstdr and Tully Mars like this.
  8. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Crushed iron slag doesn't havery a lot of iron in it and it doesn't rust, it appears to be inert. It's mostly silicon oxide from dirt that goes in the furnace with the ore and, calcium oxides from the lime stone and other oxidized impurities from the blast furnace.
    It looks and feels like black sand, but is not magnetic.

mechstdr likes this.
  9. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I think I got a pretty good test that wont blow the samples to bits with the first shot.
    The .22mag 40gr FMJ fired from a rifle from about 2 feet from the muzzle.
    One shot severely damaged a 12 inch paver. Muzzle side made a 3.25 inch wide crater 5/8 of an inch deep at the deepest then blew a 4 inch wide chunk .25 inch deep chip off the back and cracked the block. Spalling could be considered failure. These pavers are not very strong or tough.
    2nd shot placed about 1 inch away from the first penetrated and busted the block.
    The pavers were painted orange to better highlight the damage.
    pavehammer.JPG
    pavehammer1.JPG

Another test I took a piece of stucco from my house, figured a 22mag would easily punch straight through, so I hit it with my 25 cal pellet rifle. Before you laugh it fires a 43 grain chunk of lead at 550fps, pretty close to a 22CB round. The stucco only offers about as much protection as dry wall. The pellet gun had almost the same effect on the stucco as the 22mag had on the paver.

Also doing some reading removal of air can be quite beneficial, for every 1% air entrapment reduces strength by as much as 5%. Remember there is typically 9% to 20% air in concrete. That could be substantial.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    mechstdr, 3M-TA3 and Dunerunner like this.
  10. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Found out shortly after I posted Friday there is vacuum concrete. I figured there was. They take a fairly standard concrete truck, apply steam to the air inside the drum, seal it off air tight as possible and let the steam cool.
    Now a perfect steam vacuum is about 27 inches of Hg out of 30. A concrete truck is filled about half way up. My guess is it will draw about 20 inches of Hg max if it doesn't leak at all, because you can't heat the concrete up as hot as the steam.
    My plan is to pull a much higher vacuum, with a 2 stage HVAC pump.

Also I was thinking about what could be added to say existing concrete to make it stronger so I took so left over nearly 12x12 tile scraps with left over moarter and slapped a tile on top of a paver. Since the paver is my base line.
    My wife saw the paver tile hybrid and asked what it was. As a joke I told her it was an accent paver, she liked it a lot so I guess I will be making alot more of those now.
    Then I took some left over 2x4 and mortar and made a form around a paver then slapped about 5/8 of an inch of l polymer enhanced mortar on top of a paver now I just got to let it sit for a month.

Then this week I need to cast mini a slab for my new 2 ton split heat pump that should be here any day now. I will make some more test pavers when I do that.

In another test I have samples of stucco off my house, I'm going to see what adding another layer will do if anything.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    mechstdr likes this.
  11. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Dad did the math I moved the materials .
    I worked concrete when I was a kid but i wouldn't do concrete now for the life of me.
    What I remember for hardness is concrete poured under water was harder because it went off slow.
    That's about the extent of my knowledge of concrete.
    I know, ain't much.

mechstdr likes this.
  12. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Yeah have too at least keep it damp.
    My paver plus mortar has a plastic bag over it to lock in the water.

mechstdr likes this.
  13. ghrit

Wet is better simply because it slows the cure by removing the heat of hydration. Keep it cool or internal heat from the hydration reactions will cause cracking and crazing on flatwork and weak concrete that may not pass testing cores.

mechstdr likes this.
  14. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Air Entrainment....

Brokor likes this.
  15. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Alright my air conditioner is coming in today, earlier than I expected.

I'm going to get more paver and tile to make those accent pavers my wife liked so much and more cheap concrete to cast up some paver sized test pieces and my air conditioner pad.

Dunerunner likes this.
  16. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Made some test forms. The first test samples are of the cheapest quickcrete at Lowes.
    They are the same size and thickness as pavers.
    Mixed the concrete so I had almost no slump, not very workable.
    One block I just added water, the other block I used a 25% mix of polymer enhancer. That stuff is expensive so I don't think I will be using it straight. Since it's $30 for 2 gallons.
    I'll do another one made with 50% polymer enhancer. I just can't see really even using that much.

Then from there I think I will start adding steel.
    Fisrt one use a piece of stucco backing in the center of the casting as if it were cast as part of a wall. Same paver size, same paver thickness.

Then maybe do something like cast a slightly thinner block with steel on the front and back as if i cast walls with stucco backing lining the forums then trawl some mortar mix or concrete on the outside or strike face later bringing it to final standard test thickness, then coat the inside with asphalt, epoxy, concrete paint, just something that could be used on a basement wall. Making it the same thickness as the other tests. I figure more steel will help to reduce spalling and eliminate a lot of cracking.

mechstdr and Dunerunner like this.
  17. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I think the steel reinforcement acts to distribute more evenly, the impact energy through the whole structure, rather than it being all localised at the point of impact.

Varying the angle of the bocks from vertical would be another interesting variable. The same thickness and composition of concrete would be expected to be more effective at deflecting heavier duty projectiles: Much the same way that sloped armour on AFV's offer more efficient armour protection than armour that is closer to vertical.

mechstdr, Dunerunner and Tully Mars like this.
  18. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Agree with Chell. It's worked pretty well in the past..
    the-german-second-world-war-two-bunker-le-grand-blockhaus-at-batz-c7kp0j. 5c9cafc9b80ca933143f988f4a33bc36. atlantic-wall-museum.
    World War II museum D-Day Normandy 1944 Atlantic Wall

mechstdr, chelloveck and Ganado like this.
  19. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I'm going to keep the test shots as close to perpendicular as possible since that is worse case scenario.
    The further away from perpendicular the armor acts like it's thicker and the tests favor the armors hardness more than strength.
    If I tested my paver ceramic tile hybrid off perpendicular it would likely to very well because the tIle has a very hard, tough and smooth surface but it's very brittle.

I also picked up an air powered turbine vibrator that can be bolted to something holding concrete to settle the concrete into corners and remove some of the air bubbles.
    Just a little cheap little chicom unit.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
    mechstdr, chelloveck and Dunerunner like this.
  20. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

This is going to be fun.
    I'm thinking about ways to go full scale.
    Since I don't want to shoot at a 4 inch thick wall all day with a 22mag.
    I think a good standard test would be a 308 or equivalent.
    As an intermediate between 308 and 22mag I think 30carbine would be good.
    Then the ultimate test would be something big like 50bmg but I don't have a 50bmg so will have to make a baby 50 with something that fires 400 or 500gr .458'' FMJ bullets.
    My full scale or as full scale as I want to go will use my air conditioner concrete form which uses 2x6 boards to cast 2'x42'' air conditioner bases. So in theory I could cast a 2 foot by 42 inch block that is about 5.75 inches thick. I believe most places it's code to use 4 inches.

So I'm kind of splitting the test, "new builds" were I cast up paver sized samples and "improve old work":
    1 where take a paver which we will say is an existing concrete wall and slap something on top of it to try to make it stronger.
    2 add another layer of somthing on to my old stucco. (I put in bigger windows and saved the stucco scraps so I have actual samples of what my house is made of to blast)

Last edited: May 9, 2017
    mechstdr likes this.
  1. jasonl6
  2. Kingfish
  3. VisuTrac
  4. VisuTrac
  5. Gator 45/70
  6. survivalmonkey
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7