Converting a grain bin to a domicile

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by SoaySheep, Mar 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. SoaySheep

SoaySheep Monkey

I don't have the health, the equipment or training to do welding. If it's something can can be left for days or weeks at a time in a partially done state I can muddle through using bolts here and there. Trying to get people to show up to work is pretty much a bad joke. If they show up at all (5% chance of showing up and they never call to say they won't show, just leave you hanging) half the time they are drunk or high or forgot to bring their tools or supplies or don't do the job correctly

2. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

So we will define this as the prognosis for the Specifications for your build.
    As a start define this with what you have in your basement.

1. Determine the height of the ceiling you want.
    2. Cut the steel support post to a length that you need for your ceiling, weld on lower mounting plates then upper U shaped portion/ clip to hold a single or double 2x12 Beam.
    3. Mount the post to the floor as needed, hammer drill or Star drill and sledge hammer can be used.
    4. Install the 2x12 beams in the top of the post's clips.
    5. Attach hangers to your 2x12 beam.
    6. Install floor joist in clips.
    7. Install floor.

Each job can be completed as time permits.
    The Support post can be completed off site.
    A basic hammer and nail job to complete on sight.

Star Drills, hand model.
    [​IMG]

3. Navyair

Navyair Monkey++

Agree that is pretty much the general consensus. Would note that we have one on my in-law's property in Northern MN that was installed in 1960 and it is still in decent shape. It is only used summers, but has survived the -30f winters. The only thing they do to it is tar the roof every year. Yes, we do get mice in there occasionally, which find their way into the numerous glue traps I put out. However, the trailer isn't much to look at and no way would I winter over in it. We use it as a guest cottage and spare bathroom. The kitchen was decommissioned a few years ago.

1. john316
  2. DKR
  3. Asia-Off-Grid
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. Asia-Off-Grid