Converting a tiller into walking tractor

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by T. Riley, May 27, 2020.

Tags:
  1. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

Anyone have thoughts on putting tractor tires on a front tine 6.5 HP Craftsman tiller to use as a walking tractor. Would the pulley size ratio need to be modified? I need something to till weeds in the middles then throw dirt to the row to hill up corn, beans, etc. Might not need the tires at all, the tiller might work fine. But, with the tires I could use for other things such as making seed furrows.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Gator 45/70 and oldawg like this.
  2. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Don't see why it wouldn't work. My dad had an old 2 wheeled Bradley that was a beast with a plow. That thing did everything it was tasked with. Show some pics of your finished product.

Gator 45/70 and T. Riley like this.
  3. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Locks like my TROYBILT 7 Horse.

Lancer, Gator 45/70 and T. Riley like this.
  4. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

If your Craftsman is one of the chain drive models changing the ratios is a nightmare without fabrication. Keep it stock. Walking tractors such as Bradley, Simplicity, Bolens and a dozen others are all over the place. Still cheap as well as for the attachments but prices ARE going up as all the yuppies buy them as "yard art" to get their back to the lander jollies. But you'll have something easier to set up thru pullys, tire changes, or attachments. I sold my horse and bronco troybilts and now just use my two Simplicitys. Once you figure out the walk behind tractor deal the front tine tiller will mostly just sit out behind the shed.

5. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

Check the tine speed. Having had an old Toro front tine tiller and a couple Troybilts, my bet is putting tires on in place of the tines will result in a way too high of ground speed and then you’ll be trying to figure out how to slow it down. Apply the time and money you’d spend on this experiment and work some overtime or a second job instead and just buy a used Troybilt horse.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    Seawolf1090 likes this.
  6. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

@T.Riley

How did your tiller conversion turn out?

7. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

Ground speed was going to be too fast. They do make plow attachments for front tine tillers. Purchased one but I have some welding to do on it.

DKR likes this.
  1. Alanaana
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Avocado_tree

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Sep 16, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
    I love the end of summer.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Sep 16, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  4. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jun 10, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 25, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Smells heavenly
  7. Alanaana
    Avocadoes
  8. Alanaana
  9. Alanaana
    I think it's 20lbs!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 13, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  10. Alanaana
    Is coffee better than bananas?
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 13, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  11. Alanaana
  12. Alanaana
  13. Alanaana
    Sugarloaf White Pineapples are my favorite!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 11, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  14. Alanaana
  15. Alanaana
  16. Alanaana
    Media

Jungle Vibes

This is the driveway at the front of my property.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 26, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  17. Alanaana
  18. Dunerunner
  19. Dunerunner
  20. Dunerunner
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7