Cop at wrong address kills dog

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Silversnake, Apr 18, 2012.

1. TheEconomist

TheEconomist Creighton Bluejay

Besides...when are cops there when you really need them? You call them and the US average time for arival is close to 20 mins. In these situations police are more of less janitors/garbage men for a crime scence rather than a knight in shining armor.

wrc223 likes this.
  2. wrc223

wrc223 Monkey+

I absolutely love our local law enforcement officers. We work together out here in the sticks frequently (MVA's, med calls, officer assistance calls, etc.) and you cant ask for a better combination of professionalism and humanity in LEO's.
    However, I have lived in areas where the officers were complete jackasses that always seemed to create more problems than they fixed. Some officers were absolute guarantees to escalate a scene into an out and out brawl so they would have an excuse to zip strip arms and feet and throw someone in the back of the car.
    Any abuse of power needs to be dealt with harshly. I dont care about the nature of the call, that was reckless discharge of a firearm.

Cephus likes this.
  3. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

He broke the rules, he violated standard police training, and with a weapon. Key point, weapon and there is where he went over the top.
    I'm not a LEO, but even I know that from reading what people who are LEOs are saying..

Chellovick, no matter how hard you try he was not the victim.. He is someone who made a very bad mistake.
    Another thing, LEOs and people who own firearms see how this out of control idiot could have just as easily shot the man.

4. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zBQ7qIJGhQs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is an attacking dog, that can kill, this is a cop that knows his job and how much force to use....

5. Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog survival of the breed

I work a County where 80% of the dog are Pit Bulls, German Shepards and rotts. They are good dog but do their job protect home and family. I have had to shoot one dog in the last 10 years it was a pit the guy trained to attack uniforms. I would have rather shot him but it didn't work that way. Now 90%of my calls have dogs and I know this why didnt the officer ease up to the drive hit the air horn most of the time the dog will run. The people will come out and get the dog even if they are fighting because they know if my dog bites and the officer trys to come in he will shoot him. or why didn't he ark the tazer up thats what we do just the sound causes the dog to back down. I dont think this officer should be in a uniform. I very seldom jump to a conclusion about an officer because a lot of people have no idea what the job calls for and how people treat you on a call. But if this guy was this scared what if it had been a child playing and jumped out of the bush. Why didn't the office notify the people in the house he was on property. When I go through a gate and they have a dog I state Sheriff Deputy on property then when I enter a house Sheriff Deputy On Deck. If this was a trained vetern officer and I think they said he was. He is in the wrong line of work. He should have known that it happens we all get sent to the wrong address. When he heard the dog he should have had dispatch call the woman back and tell her to get the dog. Could have avoided the whole thing, the caller could have said we don't have a dog, my dog is in the house or went out and said there is no officer here. Then he would have known he had the wrong address.

Im just glad it wasn't my dog or I would be on fox news.

jim2, Cephus, tacmotusn and 7 others like this.
  6. I have a simple prayer:

Please God, never let a fellow with a badge come to my place and shoot my dog. Do this because I love my dog, and will probably die in the ensuing events should this ever happen. I do not want to make orphans, nor orphan my own kids over my dog, but I love my dog much more than I would the man who shot him.

Has nothing to do with rules n such, has nothing to do with policy, just has to do with how I would react to something I love being shot.

Thus please please never ever let me face such a situation.

AMEN

Thad.

7. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

My wife love's her Lil'Dog more than me...
    She would expect me to throw myself in front of the gun and take a round for the dog...
    My wife just roll's that way...

ccc...

Quigley_Sharps and Cephus like this.
  8. Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog survival of the breed

Hey Gator She said that she had to have someone to go spend the insurance with. Plus the dog reminds her of you always laying around on the sofa, scratching your crotch and said you will eat anything. When you dont listen she just swats you with the paper.

Now Im not trying to start trouble just stating facts (lol)o_O

9. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

CCC... Wifey has fitted both of us with a shock collar...
    Problem is..She light's me up IF she forget's which button is for the dog...
    Or so she claim's...
    I however no longer drag my bare butt across the carpet...
    The dog ain't scared though...

wrc223, Cephus and oldawg like this.
  10. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

You know, I have thought about this thread and the video, and like the Martin/Zimmerman shooting there is a lot of info we don't have, and I have been thinking also about past news articles about people following GPS instructiond to the letter, and finding themselves afloat in a rental car in a saltwater bay. My point is we have all heard of or expereinced failings with the GPS system. How can we make the system work and keep innocents safe. I for one don't want a bunch of stormtroopers to come racing down my driveway, and crashing thru my front door by mistake.
    I am thinking other means to slow the first responders down and make them think a little bit could be implimented to keep you or me from being an accidental statistic.
    I am going to keep my gate shut and locked more often, if not actually all the time. I am going to put a large street address number sign right there in the middle of the gate. Just in case the gate might be open, I am going to have another sign on a post about 50 feet inside the gate on the driver's side coming in. Actually multiple signs. Top being "street address number." Second being "Private Drive". Third being "Resident Armed". Fourth being "Keep Out".
    My guess, the LEO responding in the video, was using GPS to find the location. This as the sole source of navigation is unacceptable. LEOs need to be better trained and informed as to their surroundings. and need to have a good working knowledge of the area they serve, and a little less time in the local donut shop. (that's mostly a joke folks). Dispatch, once the first call out is made, should follow up with a check on their end as to nearest cross streets, and whether the target address might involve a driveway that serves multiple residences. Dispatch should make a follow up radio call asap if more info needs to be transmitted.
    Mostly I am saying I believe there were mistakes made, and an evaluation needs to made by all as to ways to reduce the possibility of a repeat incident.

11. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

I read about the people in the rental car or the one I read was an SUV going fast on a country road near the beach.
    There may be more, LOL

"For some reason when Officer Thomas Griffin got out of his car, his weapon was drawn, confirms the Austin Police Department."

For some reason...his weapon was drawn.

12. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

The simple reason is, that this Officer was going into a Domestic, alone, in a Town where they just had an Officer Killed while responding to another Domestic Call. This Officer was undertrained, out of his depth, and alone, in a strange neighborhood. He was Scared for his Life, even before he left the vehicle. That is why he had his Gun Drawn Before he rounded the Front of the Vehicle. He felt he needed that edge, because he was scared.... Plain Truth, and Easy to See... My Opinion.... YMMV...

13. TheEconomist

TheEconomist Creighton Bluejay

Call and Wait for backup then?

14. it really got to me when he kept saying he "popped" the dog. Such professional way to describe murdering a dog.

I say murdering, because that is exactly what they would say if one of their K9 dogs ran at me and I shot it.

T.

oldawg likes this.
  15. armysgt

armysgt Guest

LE=bad

You folks have got to STOP saying "Law Enforcement". You have been so brainwashed you equate FORCE to GOOD. Law enforcement IS the freakin problem. These folks are not the police or peace officers but FORCE applying agents of whatever government agency pays them. WORDS HAVE MEANINGS! Government force is not good, it is evil and always results in the deaths of citizens. OK, flame away.

16. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Meh....who could be bothered even squandering a match head for the purpose??

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7