Correct wheel and tire for day to day survival

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by oil pan 4, Dec 22, 2019.

Tags:
?
  1. Stock size or stock size plus or minus 2 or 3%

2. Stock size upgrade stock or for a different/newer year or trim level

3. Load range upgrade, say your truck came with load range C but you run D

4. Tires slightly bigger than stock

5. Tires a lot bigger than stock

6. Big wheels with rubber band tires like the retard in the pic

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Tires are cheap right now.
    Michelin tires that I could barely get for $150 each delivered 2 years ago are going for $100 delivered today.
    Shop around. If you have a car or truck it's going to need tires eventually.

And don't say they will sit around and go bad. No. My friend has had the same set of Yokohama mud tires since 2008, they are on their own set of rims and he puts them on his truck for about 2 months every year for hunting season and after hunting season is over they go back in his basement.
    If you leave'em outside they will go bad.
    I found a set of tires from 2002 I had stashed at my parents house in 2016 I put them on a car, drove it for a few months and sold it and didn't hear any complaints about the tires.
    So it would appear that a set of tires can sit for a few years in a basement and be fine.

duane, DKR and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Wonder why tires are cheap now?

Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Tire warehouses are full because summer driving and vacation season has been canceled due to china virus and people dont have money for tires. Yokohama tire in roanoke VA closed for 2 months earlier this summer because of lack of sales.

duane, Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Remember when I said tires are cheap and to buy them now?
    Every down has its up.
    I got a pair of tires for the leaf, still have one 0 mile tire and one partially worn spare. For my wife's car I just put the set of tires I bought last year on about 2 weeks ago. Yeah I'm sure as shit not going to see that price again, probably ever. Should last around 3 years.
    Now this:

duane and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. Homer Simpson

Homer Simpson Monkey+++

My first gen 2wd Dodge 12 valve has 265-75-16 tires on it right now. Factory was 235-85-16. The Sumitomo Encounters were put on days before I bought the truck. They are "ok" tires, but not my first choice. They ride good on the street, but are near worthless on a 2wd truck in Carolina red clay mud, I will probably go back to factory size if I keep the truck that long.

I hate the jacked up big tire trucks I deal with every day. Most are lifted the cheapest way possible and still expect a perfect alignment, lol I do love that most of the time the suspension is in such a bind that parts wear out quickly, and are unwarrantable on an altered truck. I do love my customers who make poor choices that they try to make my problem, makes the paycheck nice and fat. The idiots with pavement princesses are the best.

Some of the other vehicles I own have no where near the factory sizes on them. I work on those vehicles myself.

Custom is what you (and maybe your buddies) do yourself. "Checkbook customs" need to have a REALLY BIG checkbook.

duane, techsar and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Well I put my last height of the plandemic "oh my god we need money sell them at a loss" priced tires.
    Already shopping for the next ones. Looks like they are up about $30 per set over notmal preplandemic pricing.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    duane and SB21 like this.
  7. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Don't buy shit tires.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Don't buy jeeps, definitely don't put shit tires on jeeps.

I have had 4 tread tread separations on my old suburban. 0 flip overs.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

….. yes this :D

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

My neighbor loves his little Fiat diesel in his truck, Now if they would only put it in a Jeep?

duane likes this.
  11. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

They do. 3.0 Ecodiesel.
    EcoDiesel - Wikipedia

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I should clarify, don't buy a jeep and drive them at highway/motorway speeds, because they flip over at the drop of a hat.
    Off road, low speed they're bad ass.

13. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Anything like those ‘85 - ‘87 Suzuki Samurai… Those were a bit unstable if they had low tire pressure…

14. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Never seen the Jeep on the road in the US, Have seen one mucking about on video down in Aus.
    Were the Jeeps released in the US?
    Have read about a VW in England with a diesel made in Alabama that reportable gets 79 mpg?

15. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

16. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Well, I ditched the 35-12.50/17 BFG mud terrains...the tread started cracking in a fashion quite similar to Gator's tires. Went back to the stock size Cooper RTX all terrains LT265/75R17. Better ride, load capacity, and fuel economy...as in 4 mpg improvement, or a 50% improvement...from 8 to 12 mpg.
    Changed the spare as well, even though it had never seen the road...dated 2007.

duane, Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Cool beans man, Better milage? We all could use some of that.

techsar likes this.
  18. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I got rid of my BFG and what a difference. I went to Goodyear DuraTrac and they have performed 100%. My gas mileage is at 16 mpg but have had no issues in the snow and slush.

duane, techsar and Gator 45/70 like this.
  19. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Tall wall tires on vehicles don't ever work out well, especially if there is serious load handling.

20. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The normal price for a set of my tires has gone up about $100 a set from 2 and a half years ago.

The best time to buy tires is April and October.

1. Meat
  2. hot diggity
  3. HK_User
  4. oil pan 4
  5. arleigh
  6. Motomom34
  7. Yard Dart
  8. chelloveck
  9. TXKajun
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7