Correct wheel and tire for day to day survival

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by oil pan 4, Dec 22, 2019.

Tags:
?
  1. Stock size or stock size plus or minus 2 or 3%

2. Stock size upgrade stock or for a different/newer year or trim level

3. Load range upgrade, say your truck came with load range C but you run D

4. Tires slightly bigger than stock

5. Tires a lot bigger than stock

6. Big wheels with rubber band tires like the retard in the pic

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Did it look like he tried to pull over and hit the brakes after the tire blew out? I learned a long time ago driving old junkers that tires only do one thing at a time well. Especially when you only have three on the ground. When you lose a tire at speed stay in your lane, stay straight until your speed is reduced, then ease onto the shoulder. No sudden movements.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2023
    duane, mechstdr and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

If you use wheel spacers, you're gay.

Ya think maybe they make hubs out of steel or cast iron maybe for a reason. No?

3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Make that 5.

mechstdr and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

That you bruh? Nice calm ride!

mechstdr likes this.
  5. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The last one my buddy was driving behind me and all he saw was a cloud of dust, he said he thought I ran some over because my suburban didn't jerk or twitch or anything.

6. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

had a tire incident of my own years ago - was coming thru Indianapolis mid-day on the Xway that's mostly residents vs the interstate beltway routes >>> not advisable when the natives are restless or it's after sundown .....

was belting thru at full speed in the inner multi lane - POS ghettomobile was body panel flapping in the exit ramp lane - just as I was coming up on this car the rear tire tore loose - spun out of the wheel well as nice as you could imagine - car went down throwing to pavement throws sparks like a blast furnace ....

I hit the brakes - this loose tire kept uprite and spinning across the couple of lanes in between - I watched this tire cross right past my front bumper - I was still doing around 50mph - not anything you want to hit or be hit by ....

craziest MFing thing that ever happened to me over the years & years of on-the-road ....

7. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

This meme is how I feel about tires.
    jackmehoff.

8. mechstdr

mechstdr patriotic grease monkey

i prefer steel wheels/rims, the alloy rims break and crack under stress, the steel dent or bend and can possibly be hammered out. They're better for grid down type stuff, they can even be welded in a pinch, not so the others. have an old Coats Tireman 10/10 and bubble balancer, the steel rims work best with it, and works with the wheels on all my "wheels". (y):sneaky:

oil pan 4 likes this.
  9. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

That wheel and tire costs more than my Nissan leaf.
    badday.

10. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Another one where 1 wheel and tire could just about pay for my leaf.
    Tracking jobberish deleted.
    Chevy Dealer Damages $20K Set of Corvette Z06 Carbon Fiber Wheels
    Steel Wheels generally aren't wear items, alloy can be, composite wheels are definitely a wear and tear item.
    If you are going to run wheels like that then $20,000 better be play money to you.

Also it's tire buying season.
    The best selection and cheapest prices are now.

duane, Gator 45/70 and Homer Simpson like this.
  11. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

"Running retreads saves me money".
    What saving money looks like:
    Screenshot_2023-07-24-06-34-42-1.
    Results of aluminum truck bed vs tread belt separation.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2023
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I've seen retread failure. Yeah, not going to risk my family or equipment on retreads.
    Granted, I check my tire pressure probably every other week. If TP gets low the tire over heats and well it's an interesting kaboom. I've seen many a semi-trailer tire leave it's carcass on the freeway .. those are also exciting and energetic when they let go.

No retreads for me unless it's end times, we can't get new manufactured tires and then I'm not going to go over 20mph

techsar, duane, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  13. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I should have bought more tires during the last end of the world. (2020 covid19 plandemic)

duane and Gator 45/70 like this.
  14. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

something like this happened to my niece's Volkswagon Beetle - lucky it was years ago and the Beetle even older - had a REAL spare tire for the breakdown lane helpers to change the car - no God _____ f ____ bottle of Flat Fix ....

my BIL paid thru the fricking nose - ear - and throat buying a rim & tire from the Volks dealer instead of hitting the junk market ....

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

car-part.com even easier ... the junk yard will ship it to ya.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. mechstdr

mechstdr patriotic grease monkey

I keep at least 1 extra set of steel wheels & tires for my EDW's (every day wheels) just replaced all my vehicle batteries, on another thread they talk of keeping extra oil. I have 15 gals. motor oil, 10 gals. ATF, 15 gals. anti-f, brake fluid,gear oil, etc.,etc.. wish i could afford 55 gal. drums of stuff but oh well. we all do what we can, wife and I being retired, we don't put a lot of miles on our trucks anymore.

duane likes this.
  17. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Let's say a truck takes 3,000 mile oil changes and gets 17mpg, it will take 175 gallons of gas to get there. Let's say SHTF kicks off when your truck has 3,300 miles on the oil. Definitely should have at least enough oil and filters to do 1 oil change for sure. But if you don't have 175 gallons of fuel on hand then having 5 to 10 oil changes doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

Homer Simpson, techsar, duane and 3 others like this.
  18. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

We try and keep at least one LubeOil & Filter change in the truck at all times..

19. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Upgraded my VW Eurovan Camper to 16 in tires. Did a very mild lift and had the local garage do the spacer/torsion bar thing to correct a slight list - common in EVCs. I'm pretty much a bone-stock kinda guy. The tires are load range 102, OEM calls for 100.

I get a kick out of these off-roader types that jack up the truck/jeep and run massive tires....then have broken axels, burst U joints etc etc.

The Trail Mater UToob channel has lots of videos on this kind of carnage.
    BTW - the guy does some awesome on-trail repairs, well worth a look for methods and tips if you worry about such things.
    Suzuki Broke Axle In Half On Golden Spike Trail - YouTube
    Broken Axle On 7 Mile Rim - YouTube

Last edited: Aug 1, 2023
    techsar, Gator 45/70 and VisuTrac like this.
  20. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

We got a 2000 Dodge Dakota, needs new tires. It has worn dry rotted Cooper 215/75r15 which is the recommended aize. I'll probably put Yokohama all terrain 235/75r15 on there.

techsar, duane and Gator 45/70 like this.
  1. Meat
  2. hot diggity
  3. HK_User
  4. oil pan 4
  5. arleigh
  6. Motomom34
  7. Yard Dart
  8. chelloveck
  9. TXKajun
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7