cottage food law in michigan

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by beast, Oct 14, 2011.

1. beast

beast backwoodsman

Michigan Department of Agriculture
    Frequently Asked Questions
    Cottage Foods
    The Cottage Food Law, enacted in 2010, allows individuals to manufacture and store certain
    types of foods in an unlicensed home kitchen.

What are Cottage Foods? Specific types of foods that you manufacture in the kitchen of your
    single family domestic residence.

What does a single family domestic residence include? This is the place where you live,
    whether you own the home or are renting. So an apartment, condominium or a rental home all
    could be a single family domestic residence. It does not include group or communal residential
    settings, such as group homes, sororities or fraternities.

What types of Cottage Foods can I produce in my home? Non-potentially hazardous foods
    that do not require time and/or temperature control for safety. Examples include

Read the document below:

Attached Files:

2. GrandpaDave

GrandpaDave Monkey++

Well now... that's enough to make my head hurt...
    I used to know a lot of people who made extra money from driving a roach coach... mobile food truck... most of what they sold they made at home... i know they make rules to protect everyone but DY-AM

3. beast

beast backwoodsman

yeah and they say this makes selling produce easier...LMFAO

4. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

actually it does make it easier. I don't have to have a commercial grade kitchen and have annual inspections from the MDA.

commercial kitchen would require separate room, lots of stainless steel everything and inspections up the a$$.

We can sell home made jams and jellies, herbs and such. Under the cottage food regs.

It would be a no go for a 80k kitchen to sell a few hundred dollars of surplus.

It's designed to make it easier for the small time producer to sell their products. If the cottage makes more than 15k a year then they have a different set of rules to play by, commercial kitchens and lots of state and county inspections.

5. beast

beast backwoodsman

a lot of what i grow is illegal to sell

it only makes it easier if you live inside their rules

6. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

the way you worded that one could almost think you were growing MaryJane out in the woods when we know you meant cukes for pickles and such!

Yep, no salsas, spaghetti sauce, anything that requires pressure cooking.

I don't sell that anyway, too damn good to sell!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7