Couple of "toss'n" boot type knives for a Monkey

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Bear, Dec 27, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

@Yard Dart Had some time to finish up the sheath to go with this... sterile... chose a slim profile with a tek lok drilled and hollow riveted for placement of the tek lok on either side or in various positions... smaller hollow rivets for paracord etc.... and no... @Hanzo does not have dna on the sheath ;)

Figured since I was making one... I would make one for the other as well... ;)

Hope you like it...

Have a great week Monkeys!

Take Care and God Bless,

Bear
    DSCF6131.JPG DSCF6133.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2015
    Sapper John, HK_User, kellory and 3 others like this.
  2. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

They are beautiful @Bear ... a true craftsman beyond compare!!!

Hanzo and Bear like this.
  3. Bear

Thanks for the kind words @Yard Dart

Here are the last of these from what your project started ;)

Had a bit of time so here's where I am on these....

5 double bevel just like yours... 1 a bit shorter with a thinner edge... 1 same length with a thinner edge....
    5 single bevel....

First pics nice and shiney rough ground and marked with my touch mark.... all ready for the heat treat...

And then the 3rd pic... Hardened, all ugly and still covered with a bit of quenching oil.... wiped the single bevels down so you can see where it hardened better....

If I dropped them 6 feet onto the concrete now... the double bevels would most likely shatter tips and break into pieces...

I used my induction forge on the single bevels and only heated the edge to about 1/3 to 1/2 way into the width of the blade... so the spine is still relatively soft... the tip would still probably break on these though....

Lost sunlight so I won't temper till tomorrow as I like to temper these in my forge I built for heat treating... by eye and watching the colors.... can't beat natural light for that....

Anyway... had a chance to throw these when I was still grinding... they fly like a dream and stick with a very satisfying "Thunk!".... ;)

Tomorrow if I have some time... I'll temper and then do the nerve wracking drop test on each one ;)

Hope you enjoy these WIPs.... wanna get these done and then on to other projects ;)... like @Hanzo 's "tool" ;)

Hope everyone had a great week!

Take Care and God Bless,

Bear

DSCF6135.JPG DSCF6137.JPG DSCF6141.JPG

4. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Really nice. Even the rough ones look awesome.

Bear likes this.
  5. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Look sweet... love your work...

kellory and Bear like this.
  6. Bear

Thanks @Hanzo and @Witch Doctor 01 and @Yard Dart ...
    Appreciate the kind comments...
    Hope to find some time to temper these puppies today ;)
    Have a great Saturday everyone!
    Take Care and God Bless,
    Bear

7. Bear

Aloha Monkeys,
    Had a chance to grab some time... so cleaned up the hardening scale and then off to tempering by eye the old way....
    Then 3 six foot drops point down for each blade and a check for damage or cracks... all look good so far... I'm a happy man ;)
    Gonna have to find some more time to finish grind these, get some handles on them and then sharpen and they will be ready to go...
    Phew!... that's 14 of these... good concept and project @Yard Dart .... Thanks... but getting too many divots in the shop floor ;)
    Hope everyone is having a great weekend!
    Take Care and God Bless,
    Bear

DSCF6144.JPG DSCF6152.JPG DSCF6166.JPG DSCF6179.JPG DSCF6182.JPG DSCF6186.JPG

8. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Looking really good!

Bear likes this.
  9. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Dang it, @Bear you are making me wish I had more "disposable" income! I love throwing knives, hatchets, spikes...just about anything you can throw.
    Nice work!:)

Bear likes this.
  10. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Those look great and can't wait to see the finished product.

Bear likes this.
  11. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Another incredible thread by our SM_aster Smith, @Bear

Bear likes this.
  12. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Hm. Throwing stuff. Hawks next maybe?

Bear and HK_User like this.
  13. kellory

@Bear , do you know what a figure four deadfall trigger is? I'd be interested in throwing spikes that would interlock into a figure four trigger.

Bear likes this.
  14. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Wouldn't something disposable be better?

Bear likes this.
  15. kellory

What I have in mind is mutl- purpose.

Bear and Hanzo like this.
  16. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

That's what I figured. I'm too cheap. I would just carve a bunch of triggers.

I wonder how metal and wood triggers compare for effectiveness.

Bear likes this.
  17. Bear

Hmmm... That sounds like fun... maybe... you just never know... I'll add that to the list ;)

Hanzo and melbo like this.
  18. Bear

A multi-purpose, ready made, figure 4 - dead fall trigger.... hmmmmm.... that can also be used when taken down as throwing spikes.... hmmmmmm..... would need to steel for heft for throwing.... stainless so it doesn't rust while out and bind... Hmmmmmm......

How long do you figure these figure 4 component / spikes would need to be @kellory ??????

Shoots... just remembered I gotta finish those titanium chopsticks with the holes ... I think I can drill them.... got some sage advice from some titanium knifemaking gurus last Saturday....

Anyway... @Hanzo ... steel would make a much more sensitive trigger that can be fine tuned with a file or sandpaper and would make for a consistent expedient set up time and time again....

Frankly... I would suggest you just carry a 110 conibear... but I like our "Crazy/Practical Idea Monkey" @kellory 's ideas ....

Sooooooo...... how long as these spikes / figure 4 arms?????? ;)

kellory and Hanzo like this.
  19. Bear

By the way...

Thanks for all the kind comments Monkeys... @Yard Dart , @Witch Doctor 01 , @Mountainman , @ghrit, @kellory , @Hanzo, @melbo, @HK_User and others I am sure I missed.....

I am always thankful and humbled by your comments and feedback about my simple, fugly, imperfect, hard working no nonsense tools made by a clumsy fat fingered, forgetful, slow, old fart bear that likes to hang out with his Monkey pals in the trees and eat lots of desserts! ;)

I promise not to let you guys down... (even if it takes me a long time sometimes... and you might end up with something you didn't expect ;) )

Have a great Weekend!

Take Care and God Bless,

Bear

Mountainman, melbo and Yard Dart like this.
  20. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I get that @Bear and agree with the conibear. Was wondering if baiting metal would be less effective than baiting on wood. Plus I would hate to lose a Bear trigger set or component. Wouldn't care about wood. And I think the bait would stick better on wood, making a more effective trigger. Not even sure how the scent of metal would make a difference of not.

1. 3M-TA3
  2. GOG
  3. JLRhiner
  4. Hanzo
  5. Hanzo
  6. Andy the Aussie
    ...it's my excuse anyway... ;) [IMG] [IMG]
    Thread by: Andy the Aussie, Dec 21, 2018, 8 replies, in forum: Blades
  7. STGThndr
  8. Bandit99
  9. Hanzo
  10. The_Prepared