Couple of "toss'n" boot type knives for a Monkey

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Bear, Dec 27, 2014.

Tags:
  1. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

As for the chopsticks, @Bear adjust the hole placement as you see fit. The one near the tip is for a paper clip to act as a barb for gig fishing. The rear hole is for the retrieval line (mason cord) and the butt end would either be mounted split stick and bindings or most likely a whittled hole socket. (These will be used publicly for eating purposes in restaurant;))
    Throwing spikes are usually much like throwing knives (tapered at both ends wider at the center mass.) I was thinking of interlocking notches for the trigger function and perhaps a square shank on the trigger end with a bait lever to slide on to it. Any movement of the bait lever (at right angles to the trigger lever) would unseat the notches. Bait lever would be barbed for bait. Bait lever could be secure to trigger lever simply by a wrap of paracord or wire of which could be laid as a secondary tripwire.
    Figure four trigger mechanism could serve as a tripwire warning system by dropping rocks or fire logs against washtub or gas cans. (As well as possibly catch dinner) that is why I'm thinking multi function (one device to carry, several possible uses) trap, cooking skewer, pot holder, noise maker, defense, fish stabber, tent stake, bait hole maker for leg hold trap or snare wire......:)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
    Bear likes this.
  2. kellory

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  3. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Consider old fashion extra large rat traps... they work well and will take most small rodents... pack flat and can be smokes in sage to remove the scent easier than processing conibear traps to remove scent... YMMV

kellory likes this.
  4. kellory

Hmmm, maybe add barbed wire barbs to the kill bar?;)

5. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Nah just a few ten penny nails.. that way when he tries to eat the bunny it gets stuck in his throat and he dies...eventually:D

kellory likes this.
  6. kellory

I like the way you think Doc. !;) you might look at the links, a couple of interesting snares and traps in there. Squirrel poles and bird poles looked interesting. (I might set up a squirrel pole for observation while deer hunting next time);)

7. kellory

That could be done easily with JB weld to the kill bar, and matching drilled holes in the wood base plate. It would hold what it might not kill outright.

8. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Thanks for the ideas and comments @Hanzo @kellory and @Witch Doctor 01
    I think this is easily doable.... let me see what I can come up with in stainless...

By the way Monkeys... That completed "toss'n boot type" with the slim black kydex sheath and tek lok is available... it is marked with my touch mark and ready to ship out tomorrow if anyone is interested... just send me a pm and I'll share the details...

Thanks again Monkeys....

Oh and @Witch Doctor 01 .... I like the rat trap idea... pretty handy, light and packable as well.....

Have a great Sunday all!

Take Care and God Bless,

Bear

kellory and Hanzo like this.
  9. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Mouse/rat trap has been an old John McCann standby. Great idea.

Bear likes this.
  10. Bear

Just a quick note... That 2nd of the first two "toss'n boot type" tools with the completed kydex sheath and tek lok ... ready to ship.... is now spoken for and will be going to a new home soon...

Thanks for the comments and kind words guys....

Take Care and God Bless,

Bear

HK_User and Yard Dart like this.
  11. Bear

@kellory thanks for the info... and the graphic....
    Still trying to grasp how thick and long the "spikes" would be...
    I've got 5/16 stainless round bar... thicker? how long?
    Or are you thinking a different shape....
    Easy enough to drill holes... to add line... or even a barb for gigging... thicker would be a bit unwieldy and heavy...
    Stainless wont rust... easy to shape, drill modify or tune....

Thoughts?

12. kellory

I think it would have to be heavier to throw, perhaps 3/8"-1/2" and perhaps 12-14" in legnth. and round bar will likely not seat well for locking notches. Hex bar or square would lock together better I think. Depends upon the method of release. Typical figure four (as shown) holds by surface notches at the tips. What I Invision is more like Lincoln logs with locking notches so the figure four could lay nearly flat (assembled) but with one extra piece (bait lever) who's job it would be to rotate the notches apart by sliding onto the trigger lever and rotating it as the bait is being touched.notches would be shallow, but fully complimentary to each other piece. (Sorry, but I can't draw any pictures with a phone.)
    What I see would be notched only on the sides, not the top or bottom.

Bear likes this.
  13. Bear

Got it @kellory ... I thought round as depending on thickness... it would be more sensitive with a lower surface area on the notches... like lincoln logs...
    But not sure I get how to secure the weight bearing piece without grinding notches...
    Draw a picture and take a pic with your phone and post it... you know... old school simple ;)

Wow... you are talking heavy then... 3/8 to 1/2" thick 12-14" long? that's some serious range and damage!

Serious about this?

kellory likes this.
  14. kellory

Throwing spikes rival knives or hatchets. I think 3/8 would be enough, but who really knows until we try it out?;)

15. kellory

16. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

"Bear" in mind that stainless will be shiny and hard to hide ---

Bear likes this.
  17. Bear

LOL... OK... just checked... I have three 7/16" x14" round 303 stainless bars... so maybe this is doable... If you can show me a pic of what the heck your devious mind is thinking @kellory This is one heavy bar for throwing... rabbit stick style... and you can take out a grown man at the shins ;) or pic any body part above that ... Lol....

Draw me a picture... said the old fart Bear to the Monkey with the big idea! ;)

18. Bear

Good point @ghrit ... a satin finish and a sharpie will take care of that... or even some heat will give it a camo effect that will stick in the satin finish given a high enough grit... even when you handle or try to polish.... (ask me how I know ;) ) the finish can act like knurling... and no... I don't have the equipment to knurl this @kellory but that would be cool! ;)

kellory likes this.
  19. kellory

Keep in mind, there is good reason I never went to air school. When I lay out material I use squares and straight edges....

Attached Files:

Bear likes this.
  20. Bear

LOL @kellory now I get it... the weight bearing slanty piece is cross notched at an angle in the body instead of at the tip ... do I have that right?

What's that thingy at the end of the trigger? marked bait? is there a hole there or is that notched or something?

These would be tapered to a sharp tip?... so 3 throwing sticks with tips at each end?

kellory likes this.
  1. 3M-TA3
  2. GOG
  3. JLRhiner
  4. Hanzo
  5. Hanzo
  6. Andy the Aussie
    ...it's my excuse anyway... ;) [IMG] [IMG]
    Thread by: Andy the Aussie, Dec 21, 2018, 8 replies, in forum: Blades
  7. STGThndr
  8. Bandit99
  9. Hanzo