Couple of "toss'n" boot type knives for a Monkey

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Bear, Dec 27, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Will try and find a video or make one. Or a pictorial tutorial so something. Maybe over the weekend. Really busy now.

Waiting for my 1pm class. Then soccer practice. Then and evening coaches meeting. Tomorrow is a full work day. Thursday is the eighth anniversary party for one of my classes. I think 90 people are coming. Wednesday and Fridays are my work days. Still waiting for our soccer games schedule. Everything has been last minute, so it wouldn't surprise me to find out we have a game on Friday that we have a game on Saturday.

2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

No rush, take your time. We might want a thread on snares and traps. (Might be one already[dunno])

Hanzo likes this.
  3. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Received a heck of a new tool from the master...... had to do the Bear Cutlery family pic.
    Thanks again @Bear .... AWESOME!!!
    IMAG0238.

4. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Wow! @Yard Dart those bring back memories ;) Hope you like that newest addition....
    Thanks for the interest in my humble tools ;)
    Bear

HK_User, kellory and Yard Dart like this.
  5. Yard Dart

It is perfect Bear!!!

Bear and kellory like this.
  6. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

A close up of that knife please!

7. Bear

LOL @Yard Dart That's way too kind... I've seen "perfect" and my stuff is far from that... but you started something... already have 14 of these under the grinder's belts ... the first two... Yours is the only Sterile one... and 12 almost done sitting on the bench... just a bit more hand sanding and the final strop...

Still gotta make a tool roll for one and a couple kydex sheaths...

I'll post some pics tomorrow and you can see what you started ;)

One is marked with a BR (for Bear's right) and BL (for Bear's left) on the blade tang and under the handle scales... it's my proto for a thinner leaf type blade... wicked sharp but tough... I think it is pretty efficient penetrator/slicer with a very slight "yari" profile... I like "organic" styles... so most of my stuff will have more flowing blended lines rather than crisp straight lines.... Not ABS cool but I go my own direction when it comes to my forge and my tools ;)

Anyway... I sure hope you are happy with your concept come true...

Thanks again for all the interest over the years!
    Take care and God Bless,
    Bear

8. Yard Dart

I am just glad that you enjoyed the project and found the tool to be a joy to make... I think the concept came out exactly as we discussed. The Monkey is lucky to have our Iron Monkey heating, twisting, bending and sharpening such amazing tools. Well done my friend!!!

There are going to be some lucky folks able to score these beauties!!

HK_User, kellory and Bear like this.
  9. Bear

Thanks @Yard Dart .... It's great to have "inspiration" from creative minds like yours and others here...

LOL... as I was making the 12... 5 of which are single bevel so I suppose they don't really count... but I will count them anyway ;) as I was saying... as I was making these... I was thinking no two of anything I make is going to be exactly alike... yours is the first and probably only sterile version... and other than it's "Sister"... (which I have marked with my touchmark) the other 7 of 12 double bevels... are a bit different...

I suppose that's the thing about hand made... especially when it comes from the fat, clumsy paws of this old Bear... no two are alike... while I was making the sets... each one is different in the sets of 5... I am sure the new owners will find their favorites in each set... but each one will be a new discovery in some small way as they look at it... a texture here... a bevel there... a different curve here... I'm not a machine and I like it that way... I know there's all kinds of cool out there... especially with the cnc and technology aided tools available... I just prefer to be old school imperfect fugly cool ;)

Yup... after these... there are only 3 more left I will make like them... and I think those are already spoken for...

Limited Edition Retired... I suppose... if I make others... they will be pretty different...

Thanks again buddy... this has been a blast... and I've learned a few more things, the most from my mistakes and corrections... and am a better craftsman and person for it... so for that ... I say "Thank-you Yard Dart!"

Take care and God Bless,

Bear

HK_User, kellory, Hanzo and 1 other person like this.
  10. Yard Dart

Which one.... the new tossin knife?

Hanzo likes this.
  11. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

The one above it.

12. Yard Dart

[winkthumb] Will do when I get back to the barn.

Hanzo likes this.
  13. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Simple snare.

Wire is about a foot and a half or so. Coil is so small. Easy to fit anywhere including a wallet.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421372009.551889.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421372103.505829.

You don't need a twig, but it sure makes it fast and easy. This twig is 4-5 inches long. I did it and took pictures with one hand.

Lay a short length over the twig.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421372091.373289.

Loop it over again

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421372133.542189.

Pinch the wire by the twig

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421372156.660017.

Twirl the twig like a propellor and you get this

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421372189.879504.

Break off twig

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421372205.715067.

Run the end through the loop

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421372230.683646.

You have your snare

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421372249.918670.

Set it and catch whatever you are trying to catch

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421372280.404530.

FYI. That wire is 28 gauge. Not the strongest, but enough for most small critters.

Was working. Had a little break. Thought I would throw that out before I forget or get tied up doing something else.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  14. Yard Dart

Here you go @Hanzo
    There is a thread in the site supporter area, which shows @Bear 's complete build of these Bowie style knives..... these are some of his pics that he had posted during the project:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Mahalo @Yard Dart! I likee that!! @Bear!!! You gonna make more? With bamboo or koa handle??? ;D

HK_User and Yard Dart like this.
  16. kellory

That makes more sense, now. Your double wrap (to a sailor) would be called "a round turn" usually followed by two half hitches. With wire, a twist will suffice. Not what I envisioned at all.

Hanzo likes this.
  17. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Was trying to use plain engrish.

Yard Dart likes this.
  18. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

With vine or bamboo or rattan, stuff like that... The twist and tuck works too. Knots can break the fibers.

19. kellory

You missed;)

Hanzo likes this.
  20. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Engrishy is my second language... ;)

kellory likes this.
  1. 3M-TA3
  2. GOG
  3. JLRhiner
  4. Hanzo