Couple of "toss'n" boot type knives for a Monkey

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Bear, Dec 27, 2014.

Tags:
  1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

And the first is food.

2. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

OK ... quick post of these... finally... phew finished...

Glamour shot with the twin sister of the Proto-type at the top... see I told you @Yard Dart ... none of the 12 that came after look exactly the same ;)

5 Single bevels... going out tomorrow without sheaths for a serviceman's birthday who is overseas... Happy Birthday!

5 Double bevels... still need to make the tool roll

1 Shorter thinner bladed boot knife... still need to make a kydex sheath for this...

All six of these and the Twin Sister Proto-type are going to same home...

There is a reason for the differences.... and I can elaborate if anyone is really interested... but trust me... they are application specific ;)

And the last standard length thin blade... well I made that because I was making the shorter one for a member... and I figured.. why not make a long one as well... pretty mean slicers that are heat treated for throwing ;) that one may be the only one of the 12 that will be available... we will see ;)

Gotta run... back later...

Thanks for all the kind comments... and the look back in time at some of my past goodies @Yard Dart

LOL... @Hanzo... I actually found one last A2 blade on Monday in my stash... I messed up the plunge, got frustrated, put it away and was going to fix it when I got my cool back... but never got back to it and just forgot about it... actually thought all those bowies were history... and I'm not making those again... sooooo.... I could do one in bamboo.... or other... for.... onnnnnnnnneeeeeeee meeeeeeelllllliiiiiiiiiooooooooonnnnnnnnn doooooooooollllllllarrrrrrrssssssss ! ;) and it will be a tough, somewhat fugly orphan Bear tool... ;)

Take Care and God Bless,

Bear

DSCF6204.JPG

DSCF6205.JPG

DSCF6207.JPG

DSCF6209.JPG

DSCF6213.JPG

DSCF6217.JPG

3. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

You do very nice work, @Bear ! I wish I could put out a standing order for one of everything, and two or three of things like throwers. :(but, that is not to be. So know that you are a fine craftsman, and your talents are not overlooked or unappreciated.

Bear and Mountainman like this.
  4. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I'm open to adopting!

Bear likes this.
  5. Bear

Thank you @kellory That right there is amongst one of the nicest things anyone could say to a humble craftsman about his work. I do appreciate that sincerely... and it's quite an encouragement to keep on keeping on, building things, making mistakes, figuring solutions and getting better along the way...

Haven't forgotten our long lost project... had to order two things... one came in a timely manner and the other has been over a month... had to order it again... probably got lost over the holidays :(

6. Bear

Let me take "anudder" look at it @Hanzo and see what I think... I like it when folks are open to "adopt" my shop orphans and misfits ;)

I may modify it a bit so it's "anudder" one of a kind... "Hanzo Tool" ;)

HK_User and Hanzo like this.
  7. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

@Bear - Don't know if you have been asked this before. Have you thought about making Samurai Swords or some variation if this?

Wing Bat Throwing Axe.JPG

Bear likes this.
  8. kellory

Don't worry about the speed @Bear , it doesn't matter. Though fair warning,...I'm not likely to be the only monkey who wants one.....;)

Bear likes this.
  9. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

They all look primo.

HK

Bear likes this.
  10. Mountainman

This is more like what I was thinking about. Functional without the frills.

Throwing Hatchet Axe.

Bear likes this.
  11. kellory

crescent axe - Google Search

I would think something like this would be well within Bear's skill sets, and a pretty wicked mêlée weapon, while still being light enough for easy handling. Though an oblong cross section handle would make more sense than round.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
    Mountainman likes this.
  12. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

What are the different applications if you would please elaborate. :)

13. Bear

LOL @Mountainman I'm pretty honored and humbled that you would even consider that I would make a Samurai Sword or double bladed ax...
    Some day when I have much more skills and experience and the time... I hope to forge a Samurai Sword... I've done parts of it in my mind and dreams many times... I would probably attempt simpler blades first...

I actually have considered an tomahawk or an axe.... nothing too elaborate... I'd like to get more experience with the drifting of the eye and have given a lot of thought to what kind of eye to drift... as you know I'm a pretty practical sort of guy... and always remember what an ABS Mastersmith said when asked about the subject... for practical purposes in the woods or bush or whatever... a round inward tapered eye was his choice for that type of tool... because when the handle breaks... and they all do at some point... it is much easier to find a round branch to cut and fit to the head... make sense to me.... ;)

I'm sort of fascinated by the the double ax... I only recently found out that each side is sharpened differently for different tasks... I always thought they were the same... just flip it over when one side gets dull ;)

What were you thinking of using the double bit for?

Thanks again for the kind comments and thoughts... also haven't forgotten that little how to I promised...

Had one of those days... actually a few days, like we all do, and still need to finish up a tool roll... I won't forget you...

Take Care and God Bless,

Bear

Mountainman and Hanzo like this.
  14. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Have you ever considered a much shorter version of a Katana.. something like this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just a thought of a step to larger Katana style items...... :)

Tully Mars and Hanzo like this.
  15. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

@Bear and I have been talking about a small Japanese style utility knife like a kaiken or a gokatana. They would be even smaller than the wakizashi.

Also would be useful with other large Bear blades.

kellory and Yard Dart like this.
  16. Mountainman

@Bear

When you make your first Samurai Sword and double bladed axe I call dibs on each.

Was thinking a double bit primarily for throwing and secondary for cutting. Also would like the whole thing including the handle to be steel and not wood.

Received all my sharpening items today that you suggested and look forward to your how to video!!!

Yard Dart and kellory like this.
  17. Bear

Aloha Monkeys,

Worked on finishing up the kydex sheaths for the two "Skinnies"... (small skinny is purposely "tight" and will loosen up a bit over time- but for it's possible intended purposes... I'd rather a bit snug than loose)

And the first and last ever "built to last a lifetime" toss'n set tool roll... this was a real adventure as I have never built one of these before, did lots of research on these and looked at lots of pics of Knife Rolls... wanted this to be practical, safe, tough and heirloom quality ... as I know the member will pass these on to his kids ;)

Each knife in the tool roll has it's own kydex sleeve (and integral clip to hold it to the tools roll so it does not come out with the blade - it is also purposely molded loose but folded to protect the edges and tip but go in and out easily) to protect the blade and the user... an obscene amount of all stainless rivets and screws... Left the stainless screws with a bright finish and their slots because I liked the contrast and the design... all slots facing up... but each screw has its threads glued in and won't come out... ;)

Phew... finally done with these... just a final look for a few touch ups here and there but ready to go... ;)

And no... @Hanzo has no dna on these ;)

PS... decided that the longer "Skinny" with a kydex/Tek Lok sheath is available if anyone is interested in picking it up without a wait... you know... instant gratification ;)

Gotta run... need to botcha and eat cold lunch ;)... back later... to answer your earlier questions and comments... @Yard Dart @kellory and @Mountainman

Thanks for looking... and as always... comments, thoughts, opinions and suggestions are always welcome for improving my own outlook, skills and execution on future projects ;)

Hope everyone had a great Saturday!... worked in the shop all day on these and feel a pretty good sense of accomplishment....

Take care and God Bless,

Bear

DSCF6223.JPG

DSCF6224.JPG

DSCF6239.JPG

DSCF6240.JPG

DSCF6244.JPG

DSCF6245.JPG

DSCF6246.JPG

DSCF6247.JPG

DSCF6248.JPG

DSCF6251.JPG

DSCF6253.JPG

DSCF6256.JPG

18. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

WOW! That is insanely overbuilt. I like it! As always, @Bear, unreal lydat.

HK_User likes this.
  19. kellory

Very nice. I used deneer fabric for my butchering tool roll. That looks like a lot of work.

HK_User likes this.
  20. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

1. 3M-TA3
  2. GOG
  3. JLRhiner
  4. Hanzo
  5. Hanzo
  6. Andy the Aussie
    ...it's my excuse anyway... ;) [IMG] [IMG]
    Thread by: Andy the Aussie, Dec 21, 2018, 8 replies, in forum: Blades
  7. STGThndr