Couple of "toss'n" boot type knives for a Monkey

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Bear, Dec 27, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Thanks @Hanzo @kellory and @HK_User

Forgot to mention that each pocket is oversized to handle additional tools or knives and still roll up fine.... like a file and a stone for field touch ups.... both are also proudly made in the USA ;)... these are going with the package so the member has them ;)

Back later @Mountainman with some tips and pics for sharpening ;)

DSCF6257.JPG

DSCF6258.JPG

Sapper John, HK_User, Hanzo and 2 others like this.
  2. Bear

Here you go @Mountainman ... pics would be worth 1000 words... so I did quick video... fast easy inexpensive anywhere sharpening... spend more time and be a little more precise than I was and you'll get a better result than I did ;)
    Happy to answer any questions or take some pics from here...

Also @Hanzo... I used the "Sammy" blade I was talking about in the other thread ... you wanted to see it so here she is ;)

and @Mountainman... that ring is the "sing" I was talking about with my tools ;)

Have a great Holiday everyone!

Take Care and God Bless,

Bear

3. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Great video @Bear . Thank you very much for making it and now I know what I will be doing tomorrow. Have 2 cheap old machetes that are in serious need of ding removal and sharpening. Will report back, unless I loose some fingers or a hand, ha ha.

Hanzo, Bear and Yard Dart like this.
  4. Bear

Hope that video helped @Mountainman .... a hard flat board is good but I figured most folks have cardboard and not everyone has a flat bench like mine is full of dings, valleys and ruts from years of use... so anything you can clamp the belt to is good...

Get a good stance with your feet so you can run the blade the whole length of the edge without having to stop to reposition your feet... go a few time without hitting the abrasive belt both ways and then plant your feet... bend your knees and rotate your hips and get a good rhythm ... you'll find your sharpening will go smoother and you get a good consistent edge.

When the belt loads up with steel... just get one of those vinyl or gum erasers and run it on the belt... it will clean out the belt and you will be able to use it over and over again for quite a while... actually any big rubbery piece will work... they actually sell them for the belt sanders and grinders in big block... for like $7-12 ... in the end they will last you a lifetime and be cheaper than buying erasers and clean your belt much faster...

Hope you have fun tomorrow... this method is great for quick and easy sharpening of short and long blades... super fast for short blades because you have 2 feet of surface....

Another tip... cut a piece of the belt and stick it in your wallet and pack... you'll always have a sharpener on you and it's super lightweight... bottom of your shoe or your belt or any somewhat flat surface will serve as backing ...

I've got a bunch of used belts that I keep and give to folks ... if anyone wants some... give me a holler and for the price of postage I'll send you some of the belts... I have all the way up to 400 and down to 36

Let me know if you have any questions or just call me if you run into something and need a quick answer...

Thanks for the question... always happy to help ...

Take Care and God Bless,

Bear

5. Mountainman

@Bear - Good news, I still have all my fingers and hands!!! Took some work and now I have two old machetes that can cut paper. Have to work on my technique, you make it look so easy.

Started with 120 and ended with 400 before the strop. Definitely wanted to try and practice this on old blades before I try it on your blades.

Your video worked out great and thank you again for doing it.

Bear, Hanzo and kellory like this.
  6. Bear

That's great @Mountainman

LOL... don't worry about it... after a while... you'll develop the muscle memory and it will be second nature...

You did great to get it to slice paper... better than me... ;)

Here's another tip... before I put Sammy away... I pulled out my kitchen sharpening steel and a few strokes later... she was shaving curls on that darn piece of paper... ;) (how embarrassing on worldwide video ;) ) Sharpening steels are pretty cheap (make sure you get a good one) and do a great job of getting that little burr off the edge and the final tiny bit of steel for a really sharp edge...

Practice and an in no time... like I really mean in a very very short time... you'll be great at it... and what you've learned will apply to sharpening on stones, ceramic ... rods etc... we've all got a kitchen drawer full of old unused knives... that's a great place to start ;)

Only thing I ask ... is that you pass on the skills and teach at least one other person... the world has too many dull knives in it ;)

Thanks for sharing the results... hope this was an easier, more affordable and enjoyable way to sharpen your blades.... let me know if I can ever help with anything...

Take Care and God Bless,

Bear

Yard Dart, Mountainman and Hanzo like this.
  7. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I always give the knives a few passes on a honing steel after sharpening. Mine is an old Schrade honesteel. Should last for generations. One tip on the steel is to raise the spine of the blade a little. Then the hone will give you a longer lasting edge. At least what I have found.

Mountainman likes this.
  8. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Dull knives hurt people.

kellory and Hanzo like this.
  9. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

So can sharp ones.

10. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Sharp knives reach out and take a bit of skin as a warning, dull knives take fingers!

Hanzo likes this.
  11. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Dull knives cause over corrections, sharp knives simply demand respect.

Hanzo and HK_User like this.
  12. Mountainman

Have already emailed your video to five people. One is a long time prepper, two are my prepper converts and the other two I am working on converting. Will follow up on the emails and help them out as much as I can.

Thank you Bear.

Bear, Hanzo and kellory like this.
  13. Bear

That's great @Mountainman
    The best thing you can do is to pass on and train others... not everyone will like this method... but you never know... might help some folks learn a simpler way...

I did a quick video explaining the steel and the eraser... went through the process again but without a bunch of explanations... other than the steel and eraser...

The steel I used is an inexpensive Gerber and the eraser is one of those vinyl ones ...

WARNING!... Try not to laugh too hard guys... I did manage to nick myself in the video, but I double checked it and it was just that so I just continued on ... tried not to get blood everywhere... (lol... it wasn't that deep and not that much blood)... so if that sort of thing makes you queasy.... don't watch.... "can't play with knives and not expect to cut ;) "

Hope this also helps you and your friends...

Take Care and God Bless,

Bear

14. Bear

First set of 5 single bevels - no sheaths arrived at their new home in KS today...
    Here's the message I got... new owner is keeping 2 and send 3 to his Brother overseas for his Birthday....
    "throws straight & hits with an authoritative "thunk": nice heft, balance is right in front of the scales, and sharp enough to do what needs doing. (square spines, too!)
    thanks again!"
    Always nice hear stuff like this and get a pic as well... couldn't wait and was testing them when he got home in the dark ;)

14370_10153055747589603_5130173591813173221_n.

15. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Glad you kept all your bits, @Bear!

Mountainman and Bear like this.
  16. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422491845.101646.
    Bear that work of art you made for me arrived today. It's perfect for my needs.
    Thank you!

Tully Mars, Bear, Mountainman and 4 others like this.
  17. Bear

Thanks @Quigley_Sharps Not sure about the "work of art" part... but happy it made it safely to it's new home... and that it fits your needs too ;)

Take Care and God Bless,

Bear

Tully Mars, HK_User and kellory like this.
  1. 3M-TA3
  2. GOG
  3. JLRhiner
  4. Hanzo
  5. Hanzo
  6. Andy the Aussie
    ...it's my excuse anyway... ;) [IMG] [IMG]
    Thread by: Andy the Aussie, Dec 21, 2018, 8 replies, in forum: Blades
  7. STGThndr
  8. Bandit99
  9. Hanzo
  10. The_Prepared