Coyotes...... Meat?

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Blackjack, Mar 7, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

I've eaten most on your list. The old Mountainmen, either loved or hated cougar (read diaries and "My Life as..."), coyotes, etc. Coyotes are not bad if cooked right, and you don't know what you are eating, but that pretty much goes for everything.

2. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Back country food , is LEAN & no fat , So the cook is not like what you buy from fat stores .
    longer & lower heat & in spices is the norm out of here .
    Sloth

3. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

i would have to be very hungry to eat coyote, they are very infested in the SW and what Sloth said above. Not alot of food value in them and because they are a scavenger, you dont know what else you are eating.

chelloveck likes this.
  4. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Most meats taste, are the result of what they have been eating.
    Draining right after the kill is essential .
    Bear that feed on fish don't taste as well as bear that feed off roots an berries .
    Deer that feed off brush like sage , taste like sage.
    Male of the species tend to be stronger in smell and flavor, than the female .
    Adrenaline also plays an important part of the meat as well I'm told . Don't know that one for sure, not having killed any thing at rest.(except chicken)
    Slow cooking will tend to soften meats quite a bit if you have the patience to do it. Hawaiian barbecue style cooking might be most appropriate . Most meats tend to fall right off the bone. Dig a deep hole, build a fire in it, and after its going good, smother it with your food wrapped up in foil and burlap ,add of course any seasonings your accustomed to, and then cover it all up with the dirt and let it cook for the day. 4-6 hours later or longer dig it up .
    Hope there's enough for every one.
    Start with meats your familiar with, or cook several meats at the same time in well marked packages .

chelloveck likes this.
  5. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

If its a matter of choosing between eating a coyote, and starving, I'd eat the coyote if necessary until something more palatable became available. It wouldn't be my first choice, go to fare. The caveats with regards to cooking and food preparation applying to carrion eaters applies.

Edit: Personally, I'd reserve 2 cups of red wine après meal, to help remove any lingering taste of Coyote; an excellent vintage shouldn't be wasted on this practice.;)

Naturally, coyote palatability may be enhanced by adding "Coyote Helper" to your meal. ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2017
    Ganado and Gator 45/70 like this.
  1. Motomom34
  2. Bishop
    Thread

Stalking deer

Stalking deer on a drive today. [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Jun 29, 2018, 4 replies, in forum: Bushcraft
  3. arleigh
  4. DKR
  5. Bishop