Crime and Punishment?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Galactus, Jan 27, 2006.

?
  1. You do so out of a fear of being caught breaking the law?

100.0%
  2. You do so out of a moral obligation to do as the law says.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Galactus

Galactus Monkey+++ Founding Member

2. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I could see maybe allowing up to 3 appeals for the sake of makeing sure that you were not putting the inocent to death but figure they should be moved to the front of the docket so that all 3 are done within a year and then make the execution public.

3. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Crime and Punishment...
    At first I thought you were talking Dostoevsky...

I agree with that at face value and on paper.
    My problem in reality comes with the fact that this decision is up to a DA/Prosecutor/Judge that is under the political spell.

I have a tough time trusting those that interpret my Second amendment rights, Take bribes and give bribes, engage in illegal activity themselves, to decide who dies and who doesn't.

Treason is punishable by death. so is sedition... Add Domestic Terrorism to the mix and the wide interpretations and it scares me to think that one of us could face Death for stating a view...

In the case of a 'Caught in the act" no questions, He KILLED that guy case... Hang-em at dawn. I do not see the need for Killers to have 20 yrs to make case after case after case...

I'm pro Death penalty, just have some doubts about the Executioner's Boss these days
    [camo]

4. Galactus

5. Galactus

6. melbo

Can go both ways.... Turn on CNN

7. melbo

in this case, Hang-em....

8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

To me, an eye for an eye is the path to walk. I am a bit conflicted with the idea of executing a convicted (deliberate) killer if there is the least doubt of guilt, as in no direct evidence. There have been and continue to be judicial mistakes that cause me pause in support of the death penalty without appeal.

Treason, sedition, and terrorism that results in death, yup, if proven directly; that is, without any circumstantial evidence or guesses, or indirect conclusions, meaning absolute certainty.

Child rapists/abusers and pushers, no matter what.

Publically, for sure. Punishment in public for whatever crime is one thing the muslims got right.

Thus spake me, and me only. So far.

9. monkeyman

10. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

They could hire me for flipping the switch.

11. Galactus

12. Galactus

13. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Moral obligation. I think a lot of it comes down to the way you were raised and the values instilled in you growing up. Not on all counts though, there are plenty of good kids out there that either made mistakes somewhere along the line, or they are just the type that has to push the envelope.

14. Galactus

15. monkeyman

I didnt vote in the poll because neither covers al of them. It depends on the law in question. If we are talking about laws against say theft then I obey them because its the right thing to do, if its say laws regarding that you cant burn a tire or you face jail time and a $500 fine I follow that law because I cant afford the money or the time in jail, and if its something like say seatbelt laws then I dont follow them at all because its not the governments business if I wear one or not and while its an annoyance I will pay the fines if I have to to not obey a BS law like that so long as I can afford not to follow it.

16. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Galactus, my friend, I do believe you have a real future as a political pollster.

17. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I do NOT feel a moral obligation to obey the law if the law itself is wrong or immoral in and of itself, or in some way against the Constitution.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7