Crisis Project - The Cast

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RightHand, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

If they move away from the path of the Tornadothey will make better time as the normal path is only a mile or so wide.... once past that they will have faster traveling...

2. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Wrong.
    massive tornado on Sunday, May 22, 2011, outside Joplin, Mo. The tornado tore a 6-mile path across southwestern Missouri killing at least 89 people as it slammed into the city of Joplin, ripping into a hospital, crushing cars like soda cans and leaving a forest of splintered tree trunks behind where entire neighborhoods once stood.

3. Seacowboys

Make it real.
    tornado-strikes-missouri-street_35862_600x450. tornado-strikes-missouri-house-night_35860_600x450. tornado-strikes-missouri-victim_35863_600x450. tornado-strikes-missouri-building-windows-broken_35859_600x450.

4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I think the point WD1 was trying to make was that mostly tornados are fairly narrow in destructive areas as far as the touchdown path goes. Even in Joplin it was only 6 miles wide. So, one would only be 3 miles from the nearest edge of the path, and by moving perpendicular to the path, and then parallel to it, you will make better time than trying to move inside the path. Again this is very specific incident dependent, and you must evaluate to locations of YOU, your Partner, and the Kids, in relationship with the Touchdown Path. For this senerio, It would be hard for the these type folks to recognize these things, because they will not have been thinking critically about their lives before, so why would we expect them to do so, NOW.... They may get their "Eyes Opened" and start to get a Clue, but for the rest.... I would figure, To Bad, So Sad..... Life is Tough, and then you Die..... .... YMMV...

5. Seacowboys

Let's keep it complicated with no easy outs for at least a week, post Katrina example....
    NEWS BULLETIN: New Madrid Fault Earthquake 9.2 ....Mississippi diverted, Joplin, Mo now separated from all land access.
    Now, even the volunteer help is in deep Kim-chi.

6. BTPost

Well, there goes the water, sewer, and Natural Gas... so now they have NO Utilities at all, and the likelihood of ANY being restored, in a MONTH, or even 6 months is Slim, to None.... FEMA Camps are going to be it for these folks, unless they have Something Else, Prep'ed... and even those with Prep's are going to be Hard Pressed to live for that six months, at the earliest, before real Infurstucture can get back online. Wood heat would be good as there will be a lot of excess wood that can be used for heat. Fuel for things will be at a MAJOR Premium, so it will be Handsaw, and Axe, time for basic energy. Tough to live, better to move elsewhere for a while.... If you can get out....

7. beast

beast backwoodsman

hmmm, sounds like home to me....lol
    under those circumstances, evac is about the only option for most

8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Yeah, but first, find the kids.

9. oth47

oth47 Monkey+

I was enjoying this..what happened,everybody run out of ideas at the same time?Everything I thought of,somebody beat me to it,so keep it going.Incidently,I think the Joplin tornado path was 6 miles long,not wide.I could be wrong..

10. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Max width is no more than 1.2 miles for an F5 more likely 1000 meters...so no more than a half mile at the worst to access clear streets...see attached data...

http://www.nssl.noaa.gov/users/brooks/public_html/papers/lengthwidth.pdf

sorry i've done too many local tornado damage surveys to let 6 miles stand...

but the new madrid fault is something different...

are we to assume moderate intellegence they may not have prepped but that dosent mean they are stupid....

9.2 Earthquake means double the miles one way...

lower chance of being acosted as most folks will be suffering from shock and trying to save their own loved ones...

depending on the location in joplin where they are best movement is by major streets to a cross street and head up the smaller road to find the kids...

11. BTPost

Well, then it will be easier to travel by turn 90 to the destruction path, and move out of the path then parallel to it to make the distance to the nearest entry point to the Kids DayCare. Also more than likely the wouldn't have to hike the whole way, by catching a ride with a passing vehicle, once clear of the path. That holds right up to the earthquake. After that, they start at Square One again....

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7