Crock Pot Recipes...

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Pax Mentis, Dec 30, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

Somebody (@Ganado maybe) in the "thickening" thread asked me to post a few recipes. Most of the ones I reuse a lot aren't on paper...I started each with someone else's recipe and "adjusted" to my taste and they live in my head. I typed this one up for here, as it is one of the favorites and I end up doing it every couple of months. There is another beef one I use quite a bit that includes Chinese 5 Spice that I will try to get on paper soon.

Anyone else who has recipes they enjoy for the crockpot/slow cooker, please add here.
    Pepper Steak:
    Ingredients:

• 2-2.5 lbs beef sirloin cut in strips (1.5”-2” wide)
      garlic powder
      enough of whatever oil you prefer to brown meat...personally, I am an old guy who grew up in a farm family who doesn't worry too much about healthy so I tend toward bacon grease if I have enough stashed...I think original recipe was "Veggie oil".
      2 cubes beef bouillon
      1/4 cup hot water
      1 TBSP cornstarch
      1 small or 1/2 large onion chopped small
      3 sm bell peppers (1 green, 1 red and 1 yellow is what I use…if you want to stick to one color for some reason you can use 2 lg)
      1 can (14.5oz) tomatoes….I use S&W Italian recipe diced with garlic, oregano and basil...it works well.
      3 or 4 TBSP soy sauce
      1 TSP white sugar
      1TSP salt
      I tend to also toss in about a TSP of Cayenne pepper unless there is someone coming who over reacts to spiciness.

Instructions:
    Sprinkle meat with garlic powder to taste and brown in the oil (get skillet and oil hot before you start)…put meat in crockpot.

put onion, peppers, tomatoes, soy sauce, sugar and salt (plus cayenne if desired) on top of meat.

Mix bouillon cubes with water until dissolved and add cornstarch…pour over meat.

Cover, cook on low for 7 hrs (or high for about 4, but I think it is tastier done on low)

I serve with rice to soak up the juice.

EDIT: I knew I would forget something. I use my cast iron skillet for the browning and then deglaze it with about 1/4 cp of apple cider vinegar and put that in the pot also. Wasn't in the original recipe, but is one of those things I just do with some kind of liquid most of the time with all my "brown and then in the crockpot" recipes.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    GOG, chelloveck, Sgt Nambu and 5 others like this.
  2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Italian Dip Sammich! Like french dip, but better!
    Take sliced beef (Prime Rib) ether deli style or cut to preferred thickness and brown in flower and set aside.
    in Crock pot, add 1/2 sliced yellow or white onion, add one large sliced green pepper with seeds, add 4 or 5 jalapeno peppers with juice ( I like pickled) with seeds. 2 tee spoons crushed black pepper, diced carrot rounds, about 1 carrot 6 inches should do it, and one full celery sliced to same thickness as carrot. Add in water and beef broth and red wine if you like, and let simmer in crock pot until the juice starts to thicken, add sliced beef and let simmer for a few hours with out letting liquid thicken. Toast Italian rolls and set aside until ready to serve. When ready, Strain meat and veggies and place desired amount on roll, serve Aju juice in small boll on the side. Can also serve wet!
    ENJOY!
    Best with french fries or tater tots
    Can also add horse radish spread to roll and or mayo to taste.

GOG, chelloveck, Pax Mentis and 2 others like this.
  3. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

Meatloaf
    2 eggs, beaten
    1/2 cup ketchup
    1/2 cup milk
    1 cup crushed crackers
    1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
    1.5 lb. lean ground beef
    1/2 spoon oregano
    1/2 spoon dry mustard
    1/2 spoon sage

Mix it all together and mold into a loaf.
    Line slow cooker with foil and spray with some non-stick stuff or butter/margerine.
    Throw it into the cooker and cover with more ketchup.
    Cook 4 hrs on high.
    DONT OPEN IT TILL IT"S DONE!
    NO PEEKING.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
    chelloveck, Ura-Ki, GOG and 1 other person like this.
  4. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

We love crock pots thanks for the recipes.

Ganado and chelloveck like this.
  5. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Oh I saw something similar to that Sammich recipe in the Gooseberry Patch Christmas recipe book I got from library, it has a few slow cooker recipes. One from the book I wanna try is Garlic Chicken Alfredo. But I disagree with their serving sizes...it will not serve 4 to 6, it will serve TWO! Though maybe I should start trying the actual serving sizes as a way to prepare for bad times...

chelloveck likes this.
  6. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Kraut and Pork
    1 big jar sauerkraut (drained)
    1 or 2 apples suitable for cooking
    sliced pork loin
    brown sugar (if you use dark brown you can get the same flavor with less sugar)

peel and slice apples
    put half the kraut in the bottom of the crock pot
    add brown sugar (amount depends on how much kraut and your preferences)
    add half the apple slices and mix
    lay the pork loin on top
    add the remainder of the kraut, apples, and sugar on top of the pork
    let the crock pot work it's magic

3cyl, GOG, Ganado and 3 others like this.
  7. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

If there was anything my time in the military taught me it's that one doesn't need to practice being miserable. Enjoy what you can when you can, because you can bet you will be miserable at some future time and it really doesn't take any special knowledge.
    [shtf]

8. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

2 lb pot roast
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 cup tomato paste
    24 peppercorns
    1 onion, chopped
    1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
    Sprinkle salt over the roast and place in crockpot. Spread tomato paste over meat. Imbed peppercorns into paste.

Top with onions and Worcestershire sauce. Cover and cook on low 8-10 hours. Serve meat with accumulated gravy.
    this is soooo good with mashed taters and your favorite veggie!

chelloveck, Motomom34 and oldawg like this.
  9. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Slow Cooker Asian Caramel Pulled Pork
    Ingredients
    4-5 lbs. pork shoulder/pork butt trimmed of excess fat
    1 tablespoon olive oil

Wet Rub
    2 tablespoons toasted sesame seed oil
    2 tablespoons ginger powder sounds like a lot but it’s amazing
    1 tablespoon garlic powder
    1 tsp EACH salt, onion powder
    ½ teaspoon black pepper

Slow Cooker Sauce
    ½ cup coconut milk(I like Chakoah)
    ½ cup reduced sodium soy sauce
    ⅓ cup Japanese sweet rice wine/mirinmay substitute dry sherry
    ¼ cup Asian sweet chili sauce
    2 tablespoons fish sauce
    1 tablespoon Sriracha/ Asian hot chili sauce
    1 tablespoon arrowroot (or cornstarch)

Caramel Sauce
    1 ¼ cup packed brown sugar
    ¼ cup water

Instructions
    1. Lightly spray a 6 qt + slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.

2. Whisk together all of the Wet Spice Rub ingredients together in a medium bowl then massage it evenly all over the pork. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over high heat in a large nonstick skillet. Using tongs or 2 forks, sear pork on all sides until lightly browned. Place pork in prepared slow cooker.

3. In a medium bowl, whisk together Slow Cooker Sauce ingredients (not Caramel Sauce) and pour all over pork.

4. Cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours or on HIGH for 5-6 hours OR until pork is fall apart tender and easily shreds with a fork. At this point, remove pork to a cutting board until it is cool enough to shred.

5. Meanwhile, remove all of the sauce left in the slow cooker to a measuring cup. If there is less than 2 ½ cups then add enough water to equal 2 ½ cup. Set aside. You can add shredded pork back to the slow cooker now that you have removed the sauce.

6. To make the Caramel Sauce, add brown sugar and water to large skillet and boil over medium heat for 1 minute, whisking constantly. Don’t overcook or it will harden! Slowly whisk in the 2 ½ cups Slow Cooker Sauce and simmer over medium high heat, whisking constantly until reduced and thickened, approximately 7-10 minutes. Pour desired amount of Caramel Sauce over shredded pork and toss until evenly coated with a spatula. Add additional sriracha for spicier if desired.

SALAD PART
    10-12 taco size flour tortillas

Pineapple Snow Pea Salsa
    2 cups chopped fresh pineapple
    6 oz. snow peas, ends trimmed, julienned then cut in half
    1 red bell pepper chopped small
    1/2 red onion diced
    1 whole jalapeno, seeded, deveined, minced
    1/2 cup loosely packed cilantro finely chopped
    1 tablespoon lime juice

Sriracha Crema (this really blends teh flavors it's awesome)
    1/2 cup sour cream(or yogurt)
    2 tablespoons mayonnaise
    1 teaspoon sriracha more or less to taste

Asian Caramel Pulled Pork Tacos with Pineapple Snow Pea Slaw

chelloveck and Motomom34 like this.
  1. Ganado
  2. Yard Dart
    [IMG]
    Thread by: Yard Dart, Mar 20, 2020, 10 replies, in forum: Back to Basics
  3. sec_monkey
    Blueberry fritters enjoy (y) (y) Blueberry Fritters
    Thread by: sec_monkey, Jun 8, 2019, 5 replies, in forum: Recipes