Cryptocurrencies: You in, or out?

Discussion in 'Financial Cents' started by Asia-Off-Grid, Nov 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

when there is a credit card theft ya call the credit card company n they take care of it

with coins there is almost nothin ya can do

VisuTrac likes this.
  2. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

True. But, in reality, unless we have a catastrophic event to occur, I don't see crypto going away. I do, however, see it becoming more popular, especially after Bitcoin recently broke $8,000 US. It is just too easy to make and receive payments this way.

3. sec_monkey

a few attacks can cripple BTC or any other coin

some of them will never come back

Asia-Off-Grid likes this.
  4. Asia-Off-Grid

True. I've seen them come and go, just within the short time I have been involved in crypto.

sec_monkey likes this.
  5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Why would ANYONE keep a BitCoin Wallet on a Internet Connected Computer? Seems to me that one sould keep the Wallet seperate and when Pament is required, you. then load the Wallet from a Secure Storage Device, construct the Transaction, and the remove the storage device, before you reconnect to the Internet. Then after reconnection transmit the Transaction to the receiving party.... Similar to receiving BitCoin... You receiv e the Transaction, then disconnect from the Internet... Load the Secure Storage Device that has you Wallet, and load. the transaction into the. wallet, and then remove the Storage Device , and then reconnect to the Internet... Security in the Crypto-Curr ency World is just as important as keeping your Checkbook, and CreditCards, Secure in the Physical World...

6. Asia-Off-Grid

I imagine hackers would be more prone to go after exchanges, than individuals' computers.

I use / keep very little Bitcoin, anywhere.

Personally, I use all security available to me, regarding my wallets and in trading.

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  7. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Crypto-currencies are nothing new....they have been around since the late middle ages. I believe they were called 'indulgences' Indulgence - Wikipedia: Heavenly vouchers, paid for with temporal treasure, redeemable upon death with a foreshortened residency in 'Purgatory'. Strictly speaking it wasn' t a free market commodity...the church holding a monopoly on the instruments it created. Many fine church edifices were built upon the efforts of pardoners, doing then, essentially what 'chuggers' (charity muggers) do today. It was a sweet scam...with a clever no refund policy; The dead tend not to litigate false advertising claims.

8. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Having a Bank balance and they pay me less than inflation on intrest ,Is why im looking to buy AU &AG .
    The Crypto has me looking , But NOT to the amount of the bank balance.
    I can see - interest as it sits now.

Sloth

9. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

I recognized at $1 that it would be fun to try to get in on the scam for a while, but it has never entered my mind that it could be anything but a scam.

sec_monkey likes this.
  10. sec_monkey

Asia-Off-Grid and VisuTrac like this.
  11. Asia-Off-Grid

I can't speak for the past, regarding why. But, BTC has taken a nose dive a number of times in the past, yet, recently broke the $11,000 USD mark.

Please understand, I am not trying to talk anyone into buying crypto. It won't affect me one way or another, if they did. I was mainly curious if others here had bought any, especially since this site accepts it for donations.

Personally, I have purchased a few different coins. But, if I were to lose it all, it wouldn't be TEOTWAWKI. I wouldn't be a happy camper, but, it wouldn't kill me. After all, that is my number one rule on investing - never invest more than you can afford to lose.

EDIT: At the moment, it is back up to $10,332.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  12. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Oh I'm saying don't buy crypto. If you have it send it to me or the SM. We know how to dispose of it safely.
    Survival Monkey bitcoin:17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7?label=survivalmonkey-resources
    Me bitcoin:1GJ22L65bjLFD19WXGAc4sqY6dABAMjmTK

Seriously, this stuff is dangerous.

Asia-Off-Grid likes this.
  13. FTM2 Tartar

FTM2 Tartar On Hiatus Banned

out
    Cryptocurrencies are just stocks that are not on the market.
    So they, like stocks, are interstate gambling, and as such are one of the few Actual sources of 'income' and as such are by nature under the pervue of the IRS.
    And I don't want to do business with those people

14. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I'll ask the same question that I asked every communications officer I ever met. "What happens when the power goes out?"

If you can't hold it in your hand, there's a good chance that it's imaginary, or might as well be, since you'll have no way to cash out.

I can put away a lot of food, fuel, ammo and barter goods for $10K, and I'm rather fond of eating and staying warm.

When talking about investing, a wise old gentleman once told me "You can't eat a Hummel."

hummel.

Gator 45/70, oldawg and sec_monkey like this.
  15. Cruisin Sloth

16. Asia-Off-Grid

17. sec_monkey

VisuTrac likes this.
  18. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Yeppers. Where thieves go to where the money is.
    It's a reminder to all miners and HODLrs that if you don't control the wallet .. all the [btc] r belong to us.

I think all told I've lost around 5 [btc] in exchanges, pools and in transactions where the seller never sent me my purchase but still got my coin.

It's a lesson we will learn over and over and over.

sec_monkey likes this.
  19. Cruisin Sloth

20. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

1. BTPost
  2. sec_monkey
  3. oil pan 4
  4. sec_monkey
  5. sec_monkey
  6. VisuTrac
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary