CTD - Cheaper Than Dirt - price gouging

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by jasonl6, Jan 16, 2013.

1. jasonl6

jasonl6 Monkey+++

I've read allot about CTD lately and have basically been ignoring their emails till today. Bad day at work = how i feel email to them!

Jason

2. Claymor

Claymor Monkey+++

Well, I hate to say it, but I just checked their on-line sales. For AK magazines, they list 111 diferent models of mags. They show to be "out of stock" on all but 5 models.

3. Mechwolf

Mechwolf Monkey+

I've been checking on them everyday . Along with Brownels , Midway and a few others. I find it amusing others have restricted sales to acceptable standards while not raising their prices and CTD seems to want to bleed their customers dry. I used to buy all of my p-mags from them considering they were the lowest priced at one time. In the future however I will spend a little more money to a company that knows what customer service actually means.

CrufflerJJ and Moatengator like this.
  4. Jay Tx

Jay Tx Monkey+

I will never spend another dime at CTD, vowed that after the '08 panic, when they gouged everyone to death. Broke down and bought ONE thing from them after that, something I couldn't get anywhere else. Now, I'll do without before giving them any more business.

5. NWPilgrim

NWPilgrim Monkey++

I have never bought from CTD before but found they are the only place with #1 buckshot and it was about $5.50/box. Not cheap but same as most other retailers and they were all out. This about tops me up with 12 ga ammo, the last ammo type to get up to my comfort zone.

6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

That "Price" is NOT unreasonable, for a 5 Round Box...

7. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I also took myself off their mailing list a couple weeks ago. There are some small local shops that sincerely appreciate the business. Some of these small guys are real worried about their future business.

oldawg likes this.
  8. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

This is probably just the extra $100k they got from gouging on magazines.

I will still not buy anything from them . . . or Wal-mart, or Dicks.

Cheaper Than Dirt donates $100,000 to SAF

Cheaper Than Dirt donates $100,000 to Second Amendment Foundation

2/15/13 | by Max Slowik
    Cheaper Than Dirt just made the largest single contribution to the Second Amendment Foundation and first “Diamond Level” donation of $100,000. The Second Amendment Foundation is pretty happy about this.
    “The level of support from CheaperThanDirt both delighted and shocked me,” said Second Amendment Foundation director Ray Carter. “SAF has never before received a single donation of this size and by itself Cheaper Than Dirt’s contribution will make possible a major expansion of SAF legal action and education efforts. We are privileged to consider Cheaper Than Dirt a partner in our efforts.”
    “Created in response to the generous donation from Cheaper Than Dirt, the Diamond level of sponsorship indicates the highest level of support for SAF’s continued efforts to restore firearms rights ‘one lawsuit at a time,’ as SAF founder Alan Gottlieb explains it.”
    url3. This will come as a surprise to many people who hold Cheaper Than Dirt in another light: a company that capitalized on the recent nation-wide gun-buying spree by inflating prices many times over what their pre-panic levels were.
    They also suspended online firearm sales without explanation. Later, Cheaper Than Dirt released a statement that their ordering process was overwhelmed by the number of purchases people were making and that they needed to re-vamp their systems.
    Still, the damage was done and Cheaper Than Dirt will have to work hard to un-tarnish their reputation. Clearly they’ve found a higher purpose for their panic-driven gains. This donation will mend a few fences for sure.
    And if you go to their website, while their prices are still high, they’re in-line with a few other vendors’ rates, at least, of those with product in-stock. They’re up there, but they’re come down a bit since their initial price hike. Maybe they plan on converting their current rates into future donations to gun rights organizations.
    The Second Amendment Foundation is most famous for McDonald v. Chicago, the case that established that firearms ownership is a fundamental individual right of all people.
    Though they aren’t limited to that single, albeit landmark case. Inside and outside the courtroom, the Second Amendment Foundation has fought and won many gun rights battles, including the recent victory in Oak Harbor, where a crowd of armed protesters, and the Second Amendment Foundations’ promise to sue, successfully fought an incoming gun ban.
    With this sudden burst of generosity, Cheaper Than Dirt stands to win back some customers, at least those who don’t mind spending a bit more.
    Will you do business with Cheaper Than Dirt following this announcement?
    100000. url3.

9. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Not Likely..... Here... I have other Suppliers that are much better, and do NOT Gouge, me on prices....

10. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

No thanks. Too many other places that always value their integrity and reputation.

11. Pyrrhus

Pyrrhus Monkey+++

Increasing prices in a time of scarcity or increased demand is the way a free market system works, AND THIS IS PROPER. To be up front, I don't think I've ever bought anything from CTD (it's possible I'm wrong since I buy a fair amount of stuff), so I don't have any vested interest or brand loyalty.

Free markets price products based on what consumers are willing and able to pay. Increasing prices reduces scarcity. I can't fathom it, but there are evidently people who are willing and able to pay $120 per magazine. If there aren't, CTD will lower the price until they reach equilibrium.

If you think about it, you probably would prefer a system in which magazines are expensive and available rather than cheap and unavailable.

I'm only kicking myself for the price I pay for ammo these days. I could have bought a lot more when I returned from Okinawa in '08, but I stupidly wanted toys. Now I'm paying the piper.

12. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Found a site called Climags. They are gouging but have stock.

13. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

The local Sportsman's Warehouse is out of almost all ammunition and reloading supplies. The shelves that are normally full of 1 and 8 lb jugs of powder are literally bare. Primers are gone. First time I saw this was when Clinton was elected. Last time I saw this was the first time Obama was elected. Pretty much learned after Clinton to stock up well before presidential elections in case they go badly, as they all too often do lately.

So as supplies become available (if they ever do), start thinking about picking up ammo and reloading supplies about a year before the next election. So that the monetary impact isn't quite as great, you can buy just 100 or 200 rounds per month, depending on caliber. Premium hunting ammo for big game, purchase maybe 1 box per month for however many you think you'll need to keep you through the next election's aftermath. Think of it as you would a savings account.

mysterymet and gunbunny like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7