Curiousity - demographics

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ghrit, May 10, 2015.

?

What age range do you fall in?

Poll closed May 24, 2015.
  1. Really young, under 30

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  2. 30 to 40

4 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. 40 to 50

15 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. 50 to 60

15 vote(s)
    25.0%
  5. Really old, over 60

25 vote(s)
    41.7%
  1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

That determination is what I was driving at when I put this poll up. Have to say, I am not surprised at the heavily weighted high end, so far. Younger folks have many more distractions, kids for example, than the elders do. The burden of teaching the lessons of the past falls on the elder's shoulders. It is NOT something to take lightly, it is a responsibility to carry on hammering the message into what seems thick skulls.

Mike, vonslob and Yard Dart like this.
  2. Mike

Mike Ol' Army Sergeant Monkey

Years ago, when an older person was ready to retire, his son or daughter took over the running of the business, and they also took over the house, building on an addition for grandma and granddad who then helped where they could. But the main thing they did was to teach the younger generation what was good and right about the United States and the Constitution. They taught right and wrong, courtesy, manners and mostly RESPECT. When we destroyed the nuclear family unit, we lost that. It's coming back to haunt us now

vonslob, oldawg and Motomom34 like this.
  3. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

As an actual young person (that is me on the list), a lot of it stems from parents and marketing. We are taught very, very badly. I might right up an article soon. I got a lot to say on this particular topic (comes up a lot).
    I will say that stereotyping of our generation from older ones, and expectations from older generations for us to have experiences and skills that we are either not taught, or have been brainwashed all our lives into thinking those things are stupid, backwards, and wrong, is a bit of a learning curve to overcome. And we get badmouthed a LOT, especially when we make ourselves known to ask for help.

Mike, Ganado and kellory like this.
  4. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

That is such an unfortunate reality for the younger generations. Kids growing up in broken homes, TV/video game babysitting, lack of parental involvement..... those and many more things/issues that have created a whole generation of sheep. And they will be dependent on the government to tell them what to do, when to do it and how high to jump.... as well as the media to tell them how to think..............

That learning curve is steep..... I just hope that there is time for them to figure it out before things go sideways.

Mike, oldawg and vonslob like this.
  5. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Part of the reason zombies got to be such a big thing was that it was the only SHTF to make itself known to my generation. Until tv shows started dropping searchable key words for google (like prepper), most of us burnt out wishing we could go camping, do survival stuff, prepare and train for SHTF. Enough negative feedback, and its hookers and drugs, and not trying anymore. Not to mention that 60% or so of my generation cannot get a job that will pay above the poverty line. Hard to get work, hard to keep it, and harder still to find one that offers advancement.

Cruisin Sloth, Mike and Ganado like this.
  6. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

You also have to remember that younger generations cannot legally work until they are 16, and then only like 8 hours a WEEK. Get caught, the kid gets in trouble, the boss gets in trouble, and the parents go to jail. Say what you want, but our generation is often very hampered and trapped.

7. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

But, but ,but it's for the CHILDREN?!?! How can it be wrong?!?!:eek:
    (That is the child labor laws for you. A short maximum number of hours to protect your not yet grown body, and a shorter allowed number of hours to protect your young mind while being stuffed full of ideas. (Many of them warped for political reasons)

Mike and vonslob like this.
  8. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

You old farts who are so prissy about the younger generation need to listen to axesarebetter... He's saying something very profound.... Try finding kids to mentor rather than being only concerned with protecting your own behind and then complaining about the 'younger generation'

You can still do something besides complain... But of course if you are more interested in complaining than in doing something... Shame on you

I find many 'older generation' pretending to be to old to teach the younger generation... Pure laziness.

Bear and Mike like this.
  9. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Who are you throwing rocks at and why are you singling out the old farts...it is just the old broads fault......:p:D

Georgia_Boy, wnn and Ganado like this.
  10. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I think that my most important role as a grandparent is to be their teacher, their mentor, their conscience, and the shoulder they need from time to time. My grandparents taught me from their life experience of doing for themselves and my parents graced me with the freedom to do those things without the expectation of a perfect outcome everytime. Allowing our children and grandchildren to fail with honor is probably more important than the praise that comes with success. Besides, for kids, while parents are seen as the inhibitors of their pleasure and freedom, grandparents are seen as "cool" Lets keep it that way!

Georgia_Boy, BTPost, Mike and 2 others like this.
  11. kellory

Then the first place you should have started, us with the Boy Scouts. Many of the skills and activities you need and want to know, are taught from the ground up, and a great number of us also started in the boy scouts.
    I, for one, was a knot instructor.
    pioneering, stick boxing, first aid and camping were done every month, without fail. I was the quartermaster, so all the gear was my responsibility, and to this day I outfit several others as well as myself, while hunting.
    I learned to make a bow, bow string, and arrows, while a boy scout, and I have taken deer with field-built bow and arrows.
    I even took a course in wilderness survival as a scout. And I have been a hunter since I was a minor child.
    Scouts are available to you until 18, then the explorers take over. Each explorer unit is like scouting, but they specialize in one major skill, such as scuba, or cliff climbing, hang gliders or even parachutes.
    You are not as hamstrung ad you believe. You have only to ask, join, learn, and apply yourself.[contract]

Mike likes this.
  12. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@Yard Dart IF shoe fits =) and tbh I have a whole community of people i mentor for gardening and herbal stuff ... its all about community... people come in and sit in my kitchen and tell me about their lives all the time. And they look after my garden when i have to travel. To be clear they arent preppers, they just think im a great gardener lol what other people dont know.

I find listening to other people makes me more grateful for my own life. And its why I dont complain about others unless I think its important

Mike and Yard Dart like this.
  13. Mike

IF you can get their faces out of their phones and tablets where they are telling everyone everything about themselves. I am tempted often to just slap the crap out of my granddaughter to get her attention. Instead, I mumble a lot

Ganado and Yard Dart like this.
  14. Mike

I love teaching. Just have trouble finding young willing students in my current job. But that may be changing.

15. kellory

Try this, mike. This is proven to help wean teens off their electronic leaches....

16. Mike

HAHAHA. funny

17. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Boy Scouts are a joke around here. Most of the activities are too "unsafe", and thus are not taught, or you get a bunch of city slickers "showing" you how to make fire with a gallon of diesel, a bic lighter, and a pile of logs. I cannot count the number of times I have had to teach Boy Scouts who are hanging with me survival basics. They mostly meet in a gym or on a football field once a month, and clean up trash or somesuch.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2015
    3M-TA3, Ganado and Mike like this.
  18. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I think one of the best ways to mentor young people is to lead them into exciting, if turbulent, waters and allow teach them to swim. When my grandchildren were quite young (beginning at about 4 y/o), I began teaching them the things that I felt were important; how to find their way in the woods, how to track, build shelters, kill and skin a rabbit they snared, fish and hunt. I engaged them in archery and eventually firearms, growing a garden, building a fire, cooking, learning to tie knots and drive a hammer, building a lemonade stand and selling their product. My favorite thing was the winter survival weekends. There was nothing that I did that I wouldn't allow them to do. I'd like to think that what they learned from me will remain with them always. They spent every weekend with me for years and aside from "Birthday Saturday" the time never involved anything that required money. We even wrote a book together called "Weekends with Grammy." Now I reap the rewards - with one going into her senior year in high school, one a sophomore in college and the oldest just graduating with her first Bachelors, I get phone calls and visits, I get asked for advice and am still the shoulder they find when they need a soft place to land. I never tried to compete with electronic toys but I did manage to supplant them.

oldawg, kellory, Mike and 1 other person like this.
  19. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I have to laugh about your comments Mike on tablets and phones
    it can be annoying and before computers they could ignore you with a book or just by being outside and disappearing for hours =)... attraction not promotion

@AxesAreBetter would you suggest some ways to have that conversation with someone your age? its a great idea to help out the old farts =) but idk if they will listen... its hard to fill a full cup

Mike likes this.
  20. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

That is hard to say...one thing to remember, and something our generation was not taught. Losers Exist. They will never amount to anything, and they will drag you down to their squalor given any chance. Remember, y'all did away with racism, bullies, competition, unfairness, talent, etc...most people do not know they can be more. It's sad.

Man. I promise, I'll write something up soon. This is hard. Life is so bad (60% below poverty line), most of them are just happy to survive, to kick back a little. Give them an opportunity to better themselves. And not a job, a chance to learn something that means something to them. If someone likes gardening, let him garden. Gardeners are frowned on. Etc...Most of us have had no access to anything REAL. Purposeful skewing of facts and experiences by the world at large (You ain't gonna grow up like I did! I gave up the farm...). No idea what tactical training is, no opportunity to train or gain skills, no chance to be HUMAN. And let them have a GOD DAMAOEIFNF!!!! opinion of their own. Don't berate them until they turn their back on everything, give them an opportunity to test their theory against yours. You both learn.

And remember. Just because you are old does not always make you right. You run into that a lot. I have spent 3 years trying to get a forge running (still failing!!!) because "Grandad started using a tractor and Walmart, so all that old stuff id useless".

This is getting too rambly. I'll write up something, see what I can get done.

Ganado likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7