Cutting Down a Tree with a Knife (in a pinch)

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Aspiring_Caveman, May 24, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Aspiring_Caveman

Aspiring_Caveman Global Survivalist

Hi. Thanks for having me. My deal is that I quit my job 3 years ago to turn my primitive survival/bushcraft hobby into a lifestyle. I'm on a 4-year journey traveling the world in an attempt to become a proper survivalist.

I started making videos my second year and this one tells the story of why I use the knife I got. How to Fell a Tree with a Knife (Peel Bark & Spit It Using the Tom Brown Jr. Tracker T1) | Aspiring Caveman

My go-to bushcraft tool has been a TOPS Tracker T1. I beat the crap out of it, have been for years, and it's none worse for wear. It's heavy as hell - about 2 lbs I believe - but it's great at chopping and one thing I learned living in the woods is that you do a lot more chopping than you do carving so it's perfect.

[​IMG]

I made a video of my cutting down a tree which I ended up using in the making of a bushcraft shelter. At this point in my development as a woodsman, I was also using a folding saw which was actually doing most of the cutting for the shelter I was building. However, I wanted to see if I could get away with using just my knife if I had to. And the answer ended up being "yes". It takes a while - about 15 minutes - and it makes a lot of noise, of course, but she will come down to the ground. The tree is an Atlantic white cedar, so it's soft. That helped.

3M-TA3, chelloveck and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart Snow Monkey Moderator

Welcome to our Monkey Tree...

Aspiring_Caveman and 3M-TA3 like this.
  3. john316

john316 Monkey+++

[alien][welcomeLG]

from middle florida

1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. Dunerunner
  4. DKR