CZ 457 MTR 22LR

Discussion in 'Range reports' started by RouteClearance, Apr 6, 2021.

1. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

The original thread was nuked because the pics somehow vanished, so I will do this over again.

Found this at my local shop last fall. I have been wanting this since it was released in late 2019, this 457 does differ from the rest of the 457 one in that it has a match chamber.
    8673E5D4-1163-4002-B675-4372451AF543.

Mounted a Leupold Vari-x iii 6.5x25x40 scope.
    4ED1B98E-8818-4959-AD24-2044EC8F7788.

Which is mounted on a Area 419 mount 5C45FC88-D78A-4D93-AB6B-4CA4AB16550C.

Since match 22lr ammo has become unobtanium for the last year, all I have is just your run of the mill 22lr ammo to do basic accuracy test.

6DB6FDE3-46E1-4E34-B53D-897BF0FBE2AE.

The Norma Tac is in the middle and best shooting, the top was CCI blazer, and the bottom row was the Aguilar.

Since the original post, Midway USA had Eley Club match in stock, so I bought two 50 rd. boxes. I also found a box of Wolf match that should shoot good through this rifle. I have also done quite a bit of research on this rifle from Rimfire Central forums and there are a few tweaks that can improve the accuracy even more.
    The general consensus is that this rifle likes SK ammo the best, but can’t get any of it.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2021
    Oddcaliber, HK_User, GOG and 3 others like this.
  2. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Beautiful rifle! I've lusted after the CZ for awhile now but haven't caved-yet.
    Thanks for the report.

Oddcaliber, HK_User and Ura-Ki like this.
  3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

It's been hit and miss around here for good quality .22 ammo and that's causing head aches for most! Took the Anchutz and Winny M-52 Q out the other day, the Anchutz need match ammo, while the Winny can choot pretty much anything and keep up with the German! The oddball Remmy 541T-HB is right there with the other two, sensitive to some, but runs others just fine! Then there are the 2 Savage MK-IIs, both shoot lights out, and while they will never match those first three, Its saying something that they compare!
    Never had a CZ, lots of folks swear by them, and I have seen them do exceptionally well, so might have to add one to the collection some day!

Oddcaliber, HK_User and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I found that my Winchester Model 52 PreA shoots just about any .22LR with good accuracy...

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

@RouteClearance
    Can you clean out the dupes, or do you trust a staffie to not muck it up for you? Nice rifle and decent groups, too.

Gator 45/70 and Oddcaliber like this.
  6. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

I tried to, so be my guest.

Gator 45/70 and Oddcaliber like this.
  7. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Got a Marlin 781 that shoots well with just about anything it's fed. Very nice CZ !

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. ghrit

Failed here, too. Dunno what's up with that.

9. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

We may have to get Trunk Monkey on this one.

10. Lone Gunman

Lone Gunman Draw Varmint!

Wed., 04/07 @ 11:45 AM: LINKIES NO WORKIE!

11. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

It is not links, but photo’s. Trunk Monkey will have to fix this one.

12. ghrit

I'll take the hit for the losses in the post. My editing efforts did what I feared. I'm afraid that trunk monkey won't be able to do much either.
    With massive regrets @RouteClearance, I'm afraid that starting over is the only solution at this point.

13. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I think I said, looks like pricy match ammo would help, but still really good.

14. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

There RC ... Reclaimed all the posts from the original thread, with the rewritten First Post... Sorry for the issues in the first place... The Staff...

15. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

One of the tricks used by 22lr bench rest shooters is to measure the rim thickness of the cartridges, There are tools made specially made for this, but all you need is a set of dial calipers, a 223 case and some 22lr cartridges.
    3BCE2565-C6EB-4C0B-AE2D-4B47D65D84EA.
    Place a 223 case in your calipers, zero out, then slide a 22lr cartridge in the mouth of the 223 case,
    6FEDDA39-E680-4081-A1A0-C5B35391D4B5.

I also have 2,000 primed Fedarms cases along with a set of 40gr. 22lr bullet molds to make some load tuned ammo.
    FA35F9E7-DEA8-44AC-87A9-870BB691F84E.
    B2207FD7-DDF7-4228-806C-1060E2AFB4DD.

16. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

One word of caution against Fedarms, I got these for $42.99 a couple of months ago, they are now selling these same 2,000 primed cases for $119,.22LR Primed New Casings (2,000 ct pack) | FedArm, which is why along with a few other online stores, that I will no longer do business with.

There is another thread about repriming primers and expended 22lr cases, which I will do until this madness ever comes to an end.

With this rifle, I am not trying to get bench rest accuracy, but good match grade accuracy to head shot small game at reasonable distances, if the accuracy exceeds my expectations, then so be it. I want this rifle to become my primary survival 22lr weapon. The potential is there, just have to take the time to find it.

BTPost likes this.
  17. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

If its a new barrel you can expect the groups to shrink considerably while the barrel gets broken in.

I watched a new Remington 552BDL at the range go from 5" groups at 25 yards to 1/2" groups in the first 200 rounds.

GOG likes this.
  18. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

Went back to the range with some different ammo,
    B020E0B8-1F41-4AE8-AFCD-EF4AAD7ED5BF.

732ADAF0-B74B-4112-9553-C189045AA876.
    6B539D1D-3465-4E89-BAEF-517303F8EE58.
    The top is the Eley, the middle was the Federal, but, something is going on with the rifle itself as the rest of the groups opened up with. The Federal. Will get it home and completely disassemble and make sure everything is tight with the barrel.
    As can be seen with the Eley, this rifle can shoot sub MOA. More latter.

GOG and Gator 45/70 like this.
  19. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The pricy 22lr match ammo is staying in stock over on midway usa.

GOG likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7