Daikon

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by Hanzo, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Monkey was wanting daikon soup. Got a couple big ones at the farmers market so I made her soup. The pork just melted in the mouth. When I added the bean thread, it was going to overflow the pot, so I had to scoop some out for quality control. Very warming. It was cold and windy outside.

3M-TA3, Ura-Ki, oldawg and 3 others like this.
  2. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I love daikon - very much overlooked on the mainland. I use it all the time as a keto friendly substitute for potatoes - it even fries up just like them, just takes longer.

That soup looks yummy!

Hanzo likes this.
  3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Haven't seen any around here. Will have to look again, sounds like a good variation for the diet.

Gator 45/70 and Hanzo like this.
  4. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

It's a type of radish, but very, very mild. People that don't like radishes usually eihter like or don't mind daikon. They are white and quite large, usually 2-3" in diameter and up tp a couple feet long. Stores will typically cut them into smaller sections. It's great raw and cooked. Locally I get them at Fred Meyer's (Kroger) and WinCo. A lot of stores carry them, but if you don't see them just ask.

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I can deal with mild radishes, the hotter ones are suitable only for garnish.

3M-TA3, Gator 45/70 and Hanzo like this.
  6. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

You will not be disappointed, then. In soups and stews they need to cook much longer than potatoes, so put them in with the meat. If you want to fry them, either cut them thin or boil first. Raw, they are still a treat in salads. IMO, the Rodney Dangerfield of the produce section.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7