Daily Thankfulness

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RightHand, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I am thankful that it is Friday evening, the kids are gone for the weekend and the wife and I have a quite house...for now ;)
    It's going to be a great weekend.... game #one of the football season, some weap's maintenance and some together time...life is good.

Motomom34, BTPost and RightHand like this.
  2. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I am so grateful for old friends, new friends, the music that brought us all together....and road trips. <3

Yard Dart and kellory like this.
  3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

The Daily Rant thread got revived so I wanted to bump this thread especially for our new members. RH kindly started this thread and when a kind thing happens give a shout. The news is so negative that when we see good things or have good things happen, I think it is important to share. I am thankful that everyday I can find something to smile about.

Lately I have been running crazy all over, life is exhausting and trying but I tell myself, everyday is a step forward to get where I am going. That is what I tell myself, "today was a step forward." Achieving a dream is the goal and I know when I finally obtain what I have been moving towards, I can then relax.

Yard Dart, AD1 and Ganado like this.
  4. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

It's a week or so late but I have been offered and accepted a new job. I'm not naive enough to think it won't have its share of issues but it's a raise, I'll be investing in a 401(k) for the first time, it's closer to the house, it's an increase in responsibility with a pretty decent bump coming in 12-18 months...It's a good thing.

On top of that, the current job didn't flip out and has behaved as professionally as I could have hoped (although I would have preferred to have been "paid out" for my notice and gotten some down time prior to the new job...needs must and all that).

5. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Gratz @DarkLight you deserve it![touchdown][bow]

And good luck!

DarkLight likes this.
  6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

DarkLight likes this.
  7. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Thankful for rain...even if it was a down pour [winkthumb] it's cooled us off 10 degrees

Cruisin Sloth and AD1 like this.
  8. DarkLight

So, I hope I didn't speak to soon. Part of the process was a consumer report which showed a traffic accident. I have received a Pre-Adverse Action letter asking me to respond to the item in the report.

I have done so with an explanation of the events and the fact that nobody was hurt, no alcohol involved, etc.

Hopefully they come back with great, see you Monday. If not, I'm out of a job on Friday since I've given notice and not a single word has been said in an effort to keep me.

Now I'm sick to my stomach all weekend.

Starting to feel a bit invasive.

***ETA***
    It's all worked out, background check is done and cleared and I start on Monday.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
    Cruisin Sloth, Motomom34 and AD1 like this.
  9. Salted Weapon

Salted Weapon Monkey+++

Thankful I woke up today, it was a good start. As many did not. Each breath has value in it, try not to waste what little time we all have.
    I am still looking for a good employment opportunity and a few other things but for now waking up and having life is great.

Motomom34 likes this.
  10. MountainMariner

MountainMariner Clearly Ambiguous

Thank you beef cattle that gave your life so that I could have a delicious medium rare perfectly seared ribeye steak today.

I'd also like to thank the baked potatoe, mushrooms, onions and chessy broccoli. And a house salad. But if the beef cattle had eaten the house salad my ribeye would have been larger so screw you house salad.

11. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

Found a huge patch of blairs while out in the woods with the dogs today (Month early but im not complaining) Going back tomorrow to pick as much as we can carry :D

Salted Weapon and Motomom34 like this.
  12. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

It was nasty here last night. The yard is a mess again with pine needles.

It rained so much my 18.5 foot bass boat was full of water up to just below the top of the batteries. The bildge pump had stopped working. Gald I saw it before it got deeper.

We are said to have this in store for the next week! Glad to be south of 115 deg F any day.....but the "hummaditty" will suck

Ganado, Salted Weapon and Motomom34 like this.
  13. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

Positive thinking ;)

Salted Weapon likes this.
  14. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

I am thankful I got Simba back home this AM. Not out of the woods yet, but at least he is home.
    image.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    DarkLight, Yard Dart, Ganado and 3 others like this.
  15. Salted Weapon

Salted Weapon Monkey+++

I let my Ferret stay out and play with the cats a few hours longer today after reading about all you are going thru with Simba.
    Lost an 18 year old dog a few years ago Jack, these moment we have with our pets are priceless and we should all appreciate that the short lives they all have they give all 100% to be shared with us. Even Humans don't do that.

AD1 likes this.
  16. Salted Weapon

Salted Weapon Monkey+++

I am grateful no one I care about is voting for Hilary, and grateful there is a SM site wife is gone a week or so with my inlaws why
    Father in law recovers from surgery. This site is keeping me from getting to board. So thanks SM site :)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
    DarkLight, Ganado and AD1 like this.
  17. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Today at work we were able to help grant a gentleman's dying wish. It was one of those times when everyone dropped everything, stepped up and helped a stranger. No one complained, the owner didn't fret about schedules. We learned of a wish and knew we could make it happen and we did. Our hearts go out to the gentleman but we also can smile because he is.

Good day!

18. DarkLight

Third post for me on this topic (and for ya'll probably hopefully my last :D), but yesterday was my last day at my old job and Monday will be the first day at the new. This (old) job, while a good way to get me out of my previous job prior to acquisition and a lay-off, was never right for me. I knew within a couple of days that I'd made a mistake but couldn't realistically leave before now. There were positives in that I got to explore some new technology and was able to get the much coveted "middle manager" title onto my resume (I actually did need that to move forward), but in general it was a pretty toxic environment.

The new job is a big step up. I will be an AVP (Associate Vice President which, is realistically, just a "title") to start but within 12-18 months I'm already tapped to be my new bosses replacement when he is promoted. VP with a high-school diploma...not too shabby. Pay is better, environment is better, people I've met are a whole different type of crowd.

I'm thankful for this move in so many ways.

On top of that (getting misty because I'm still not ready for it), my oldest is going to college in 2 weeks. We test packed the car last night (tight fit) but I cannot tell you how proud I am of her. I'm putting away, literally, almost $20k a year (after taxes) to get the kids through college with as much help as I can muster (no, not paying for all of it and I'll ultimately keep a large portion of that money) and it's a bit of work,but worth it.

My life, is pretty good, and I need to be thankful for it every single day.

19. DarkLight

Bumping

24 years ago today I met my wife and knew at the time that I wanted to marry her. Two years and two months later we were wed and I have never looked back.

A lot has happened during that time, 3 beautiful children and two that we last before we ever met them, more jobs than I care to count, more moves than I care to recall. All the things that make up a life together, and yes, we celebrate our "meet-a-versary" every year.

The wedding anniversary isn't until May, but I thank God every day that I met that beautiful young woman on March 5th, 1993 and that she consented to be my wife, partner, help meet and soul mate.

Yard Dart, ghrit and Motomom34 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7