Dampener

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Hanzo, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I love canteens and water bottles. But I hate the sloshing noise. Much prefer quiet, for many reasons.

So as I was out with the dog today, I packed my canteen. Usually I do not take water when we go on our walks or runs. We rarely go more than 5-6 miles. But last week, the puppy was so wiped out. And when we got home, she bypassed her water dish and just dropped to the floor and panted so loud and hard that we were a little worried. I even stopped to get her water half way through our run.

It has been really hot. Even by 7am, it is scorching. Last week was different because I also ran her on a trail. I always take water on a trail, but I went on a lark. But I did have a knife and my phone, so not totally unprepared. And we ran to a stream.

Anyway, back to today. When a cantten is full, no slosh. But once you start drinking, slosh begins. I only brought half a canteen, so slosh was happening from the beginning. As I was going, I had already planned a stop for the puppy to get water. And I had a bandana or two in my bag. So started to think about the water dampener. Years ago, I remember someone made one and was selling it. And it made me think. What if I throw one of my bandanas into the canteen?

We stopped for water about half way through. I had planned to go to this clump of fragrant eucalyptus trees for shade. That was a good camera angle as all the soot outside and the scorch marks inside my canteen cup couldn't be seen.

After our water break, I shove a dog bone bandana into the canteen.

The whole way back, no sloshing! I was stoked because most people have bandanas or a piece of cloth, so no extra expense. It was quiet. And at the end, you get a cool wet towel to enjoy. Which I did. Just a tip, do not put the bandana back in to the canteen after it has been on your sweaty and/or stinky areas. I do not prefer that flavor in my water.

Videos are just illustrative. Most times, people will not shake like that. So with shaking, the bandana made it quieter, but not silent. But I can say that I did not hear a single slosh on the return leg.

We did not really stop for pictures except for our water break. And this pretty flower.

And we are lucky in that we are often about to harvest stuff as we are out and about.

Yesterday, I got a lilikoi and some guava. We have not been having too much rain, so fruits have been fewer and smaller. And today, I got a big avocado.

But as you know, I eat. Had organic waffles that wifee bought for breakfast. Did not have the maple syrup some of you were talking about, so had to have mine with agave. Wifee tries to keep us healthy. Darn it!

DuxDawg, Bandit99, oldawg and 4 others like this.
  2. You GOTSTA get you some maple syrup!!!!

DuxDawg, oldman11, snake6264 and 5 others like this.
  3. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Those canteens will slosh. Cool idea with the cloth. I remember carrying those full canteens in boot camp,,,don't think I ever drank out of one,,,,the DI's would have killed us. But I do understand why ,,,but in boot camp,,,the only enemy was the DI's,,,,,:ROFLMAO:,,,,just kidding,,,if I ran into my senior DI today,,,,I'd probably still snap to,,,,,

Gator 45/70, oldman11, Hanzo and 2 others like this.
  4. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Chicken wing over the pull up bar and drink water was my punishment ever day in second phase.

Gator 45/70, SB21, Hanzo and 2 others like this.
  5. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Actually I think the sloshing is beneficial
    it oxygenates the water makes it taste better too .

Gator 45/70, oldman11 and Hanzo like this.
  6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Actually, that can only happen in an open container... In a closed container the amount of Oxygen is fixed and will be at equalibrium between disolved and as a gas, inside the container....

7. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

True. But I rather shake it to oxygenate and not have sound. Especially for it I was being sneaky...

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I have long moved to collapsible canteens and water bladders mostly, but I can still remember the days of "sloshing". With a collapsible canteen, you just crack the lid and squeeze until the air is removed, then tighten the cap. A bladder is already going to be pushing the water out and conforming to the shape of the water inside. Traditional canteens, well...I guess it's the "slosh" for you.

I'm really old school, and my DI's carefully instructed me to never, ever, ever place anything inside my canteen besides water. I think this is mostly because of the beverage powder drink mixes being left inside and causing you to get violently ill from the bacteria over time. But, I don't see a problem with a bandanna if it's your way of being super ninja-like!

Witch Doctor 01, Hanzo and Bandit99 like this.
  9. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Only water goes into my canteen. If I mix something, it will be in the canteen cup.

I also do the squeeze air out of the baldder technique. Only way to go for me. Even with a bladder, I still pack a canteen or bottle. I almost never go into the woods without a canteen or water bottle. On those rare occasions that I do, I will still pack a metal cup.

Witch Doctor 01 and DuxDawg like this.
  10. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

When dad an I had to haul 55 gallon barrels of water for mixing concrete we threw a board on the top to float and it reduced the sloshing = less loss of water .
    A piece of cork ( wine bottle) might work to quiet things down but then that might be lost internal space .

Hanzo likes this.
  11. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Another way to reduce the sloshing would be to use a balloon .
    Drill the cap so it can be tapped for 1/8" pipe thread and get a 1/8"drain valve . Attach the balloon to the inside on the fitting and insert the balloon and cap but leave the cap loose enough to allow internal air to escape as you inflate the balloon . once the balloon is inflated close both the cap and valve at the same time and = no slosh.

Hanzo likes this.
  12. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Be careful for a couple of reasons, :
    1. latex allergy...
    2. broken balloons especially if shared with small children are a choking hazard
    3. as balloons expand and contract they collect dirt and bacteria that can be released into your water.

Words of wisdom from the old Witch Doctor (and former balloon artist)

GrayGhost, Hanzo and ghrit like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7