Dangers Of Insect Bites

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by medicine man, Jul 30, 2012.

1. medicine man

medicine man Monkey

The importance of medical preparation and preventive medicine were brought home this week in albeit a minor way.

A few days ago I was stung or bitten by an insect on the inside of my upper arm, at the time I thought it was nothing and carried on. The next day I had a red itchy patch, so took some anti-histamine which calmed the itch. However the next day two thirds of my arm was swollen, red, itchy and painful. My elbow was stiff and I had pins & needles in my fingers.

The infection was probably introduced with the bite, however if I had cleaned and covered it at the time it might have stopped a secondary infection if one was present. As it was now obvious that something more sinister was going on I started taking Anti-inflammatory tablets and antibiotics both of which I had at home. 24 hours later it had calmed down considerable although was still red and slightly itchy.

If I hadn’t had those drugs the whole experience would have been a lot longer and more unpleasant as it was it was a minor inconvenience. It is possible that the infection could have spread to the lymphatic system in which case stronger drugs and possibly a stay in hospital would be required, not always possible in a disaster, survival or remote situation.

Possible complications from intreated insect/bite stings depending on where in the world you are include.

impetigo - a highly contagious bacterial infection that causes sores or blisters

cellulites - an infection that makes your skin red, swollen and painful

folliculitis - inflammation of one or more hair follicles

lymphangitis - an infection that causes red streaks in your armpit or groin and swollen lymph nodes

Lyme Disease leading to meningitis, facial palsy or encephalitis

West Nile Fever

Malaria

Anaphylaxis

--------------
    Author of Wilderness and Survival Medicine www.survival-medic.com

Guit_fishN and tulianr like this.
  2. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Here in warm sunny Florida, I have been battling some insectoid home invaders, with possible venomous issues. The Hobo Spider and Giant House Spider.
    The Hobo is aggressive, similar to but larger than the Brown Recluse, and has similar necrotic venom.
    The Giant House Spider looks similar but is even bigger - up to a 4" leg spread! Fortunately not as dangerously venomous. These spiders are FAST, holding the record for spider running speed.
    Thee spiders are active in late summer and fall, walking around looking for mates. I have killed a bunch - a good "Spider Killer" spray works well, as does bathroom spray with chlorine bleach - folds them up nicely! And the .22 Colibri puts them down very well!

3. Snarky357

Snarky357 Monkey

As I look to where to retire, I consider taxes, weather extremes, and nasties. I can't abide aggressive spiders. I thought we had it bad with brown recluse and wolf spiders. Not to mention our bumper crop of ticks this year.

4. Dovey

Dovey Monkey++

We are having a terrible time with black widow spiders this year. I've lived here many years and have never seen one here before. I noticed there were always spider webs around the car tires, and found that one car had seven black widows in it.
    Got some spray from the do it yourself exterminator store and sprayed just about every night for a week and I think that took care of them so far.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7