Darkness- Grid Down

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Yard Dart, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

They are the cat's ass KF. Makes filling 20 pounders a breeze.

2. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

I have two 500 gallon above ground tanks. I regret not getting underground tanks. One round and your long term storage is vaporized. Solution, for me, is a whole lot of sand bags and hiding them as best I can. Thoughts?

3. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

Got a whole lot of duck tape and heavy black plastic but no knowledge or experience.

4. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

5. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Saying to my ex..."it's your turn to do the dishes" was guaranteed to light up the house for several hours....I sometimes miss her.

oldawg likes this.
  6. Tully Mars

A lot depends are where your tanks are in relation to the access to your place. If they are towards the back say, out of the main line of sight, paint the tanks to blend in with their surroundings. You could perhaps build a privacy type fence enclosure and line the walls with sandbags if you feel the need. Not really a lot one can do to protect them from small arms fire short of encasing them in an iron plate box...

chelloveck and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  7. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Put an earth berm around the perimeter of the tanks, making provision for drainage. Plant appropriate fire resistant plants and shrubs on berm to break up shape and disguise the tank farm. Plants could be edible varieties to perform forage/cropping function.

or then again.....camouflage it as a

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Via:Gardens | Selfbuild Central

Use as vertical growing space for vines / climbers (edible of course).

More LPG tank camouflage

[​IMG]

Via: CAMO PROPANE TANK COVER

[​IMG]

Via: RockOn Photo Gallery - RockOn™ Propane Tank Covers

It looks solid as a rock, but I doubt it would stop a BB pellet.

[​IMG]

Via: https://www.pinterest.com/hnccklndlh/lp-tank-art/

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  8. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

We could last a while without electricity...not a long time probably, but maybe a month or so. In some ways, winter is easier to manage, provided we have enough wood for our woodstove(which has enough space to cook on). The cold means we could put frozen stuff in secure containers outside. And if it's a winter like this one, we'd have LOTS of snow(though it's rain right now) for hydration. Of course to maximize space this year(my goal), one plan I have is to start doing sprouts as part of my 'gardening' is because they require very little resources, namely water and time. Also plan to get some serious water storage items this year as well. All this moisture(it's been almost constant snow, though as mentioned right now it's rain), the hard clay ground where I'm trying to dig my root cellar should be easier once the ground thaws. And with a root cellar, don't have to worry about not having a refrigerator. For lighting, we do have lots of flashlights and a small battery operated lantern which will light up a whole room good enough after dark. Of course we stock up on batteries from dollar store. And once they're dead, they're small but heavy enough that if you have enough, you can wrap them up and have a nice blunt instrument(I like to be 'green' and reuse items). Worst part for me is that we don't have backup to power the laptops. I'd prefer to have enough to power the desktops as well, but the laptops require less juice as I understand it.

To sum it up, I have lived without electricity for a whole summer. It's not hard, just different. I do prefer having it, but if need be, I know I can live without it.

Tully Mars and chelloveck like this.
  9. Tully Mars

10. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Cinder block walls, poured solid would stop just about anything short of explosives. They come as wide as 12" and stagger bond with solid pour would stop any stray round. Concentrated fire might chew a hole, but sand bags to the inside would stop that. Salt box style of roof with sheet steel, and it would look like a storage shed, while shedding bullets at at a shallow angle.

Tully Mars and chelloveck like this.
  11. jimLE

jimLE Monkey+++

we have oil lamps and lamp oil,which i need more oil.propane.space heater and oven for heat.need more propane thoe.and chances are.we'll be getting some tomorrow.we have lots of candles.3 lanterns.flashlights if/when needed.rechargable battries and a solar charger for them during outages..we need a portable generator for fridge n freezer thoe..i also have a 2 burner camp stove if needed..

1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Thunder5Ranch
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. Yard Dart
  5. Yard Dart
  6. fl4848
  7. Motomom34
  8. Prepper12
  9. Motomom34
  10. Yard Dart
  11. Yard Dart
  12. Yard Dart